Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Huge fan of glow power!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Special engines require special exceptions/attention IMO.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Mr Cox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, do get the correct fuel. These engines are real gems, why would you spend the money on a great engine and then not use it properly...?

I only have the .12 REX, should have bought a few more
Love the build quality and performance, the .12 runs like a .15 engine on a pipe...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcVdZI2Qjwk[/youtube]

Last edited by Mr Cox; 12-03-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 PM
hsukaria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a really nice engine Mr. Cox. I have a few .15 engines but none are even close in performance.

As I said, most of my engines are fairly "humble" except the Novarossi and my Saitos. Here's a barely used engine I recently purchased, but have not run it yet. It is an Aviastar 46, somewhat similar externally to Magnum/ASP/Sanye engines except the muffler achieves the higher volume by being wider instead of longer. I suspect one reason for going that route is that is still a 2-piece assembly rather than adding the extension. The Aviastars used to be sold by Sig Manufacturing. I have a Top Flite Contender kit I recently purchased and I might put this engine in it.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 PM
hsukaria

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hsukaria View Post

I also purchased this Novarossi R61 Speed/13 last year new from Planet Hobby. I got the 10mm carb and the long pipe. I have not run it yet, the carb is still plastic-wrapped from the factory because I was concerned if the 10mm carb with long pipe will have trouble throttling or in mid-range. I didn't know if I wanted to mess with in-flight mixture adjustment with their 9mm carb. Anybody have experience with this engine and setup?

I am also debating what fuel mixture to use on it. It calls for 10% nitro max, 10% castor, and 10% synthetic oil. I am wondering how flexible I can be with that, I don't have any fuel with that blend right now. I could buy more head shims to take higher nitro.

I plan on building a Deception/Exception classic pattern plane for it. I already have the wing and tail foam cores, but don't know if I will do a balsa or fiberglass fuselage.
I spoke with Alan today at Planet Hobby and he mentioned that the 10mm carb with the long pipe are compatible and should not give me any trouble with transitions or part throttle performance. So I'm set to go...

Last edited by hsukaria; 12-03-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:34 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Alan at Planet Hobby is a swell guy. I bought a buggy manifold from him and they sent the wrong one. The SKU number on the website was wrong (they sent the manifold with SKU number listed on the site). They ordered me the one I wanted and sent it to me and wouldn’t take the original one they sent me back. Two for the price of one. Too cool.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:44 AM
hsukaria

Yeah he sure sold me on Novarossi engines and I still have not even run mine yet. Being the cheapskate that I am I almost never buy a new engine but Planet Hobby made it easy for me to take the plunge.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:07 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yeah he sure sold me on Novarossi engines and I still have not even run mine yet. Being the cheapskate that I am I almost never buy a new engine but Planet Hobby made it easy for me to take the plunge.
Novarossi is top notch quality. I love mine. Picco makes fantastic engines too.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:24 AM
hsukaria

Never looked into Pico. Do do they still make RC plane engines?

I also would love to get a Jett engine someday, but that is beyond my financial and flying skills.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Never looked into Pico. Do do they still make RC plane engines?

I also would love to get a Jett engine someday, but that is beyond my financial and flying skills.
Picco does not make aircraft engines anymore. They do come up for sale on eBay and in the classifieds occasionally though.

Jett makes fine engines. Price wise are on par with Novarossi. The Sport Jett Engines are *****cats. Theyíre well mannered and run super, they just run a bit harder than regular sport engines. You just throttle back a bit. The beauty of Jett is the engine is custom built to your specs. If you donít want a screaming toothpick prop turning monster, opt for the L series of torque engines. My BSE .35 weighs the same as a .25 and turns a 9x6 at 18,000rpm. Itíll run a 10x4-5 too, just a bit slower since the blade area is higher on 10Ē props. I have a BSE 56LX on a full pipe too. 10x6 at 18,000 is advertised power. I havenít peaked mine yet because itís still pretty new.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:26 AM
hsukaria

The thing that impresses me the most about Jett engines is their power to weight ratio. They have a blazing 60 the size of a normal 46 but still lighter.

I will put that on my Santa's wish list. Maybe if I can behave well enough for 3 more weeks, but it will be tough....
Old 12-04-2018, 10:17 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

The thing that impresses me the most about Jett engines is their power to weight ratio. They have a blazing 60 the size of a normal 46 but still lighter.

I will put that on my Santa's wish list. Maybe if I can behave well enough for 3 more weeks, but it will be tough....
Yes, most of Dubís engines are smaller and/or lighter than their typical sport counterparts. The .25, .30, and .35 are in a .25 sized case, the 40L is a .25 case engine too if I remember. The .56/.60 is a .40 case as well as the .76L. The .90 is a .60 sized case. He used to make a 1.0 and 1.2 that were in a .60 case too, but they havenít been made for a long time.

I am thinking of using my BSE .35 on a Mojo .25 3D plane I have thatís not built but never flown. My .56LX was bought specifically for an outrigger airboat and I expect it to stay on that boat. Not sure if Iím up to handling the ďAnimalĒ on a plane. That engine is just sickening.