Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

MVVS or MDS engine good or bad?

Old 02-13-2020, 05:29 PM
vwitte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS or MDS engine good or bad?

I see advertisements for the MVVS engine and MDS PRO engines on EBay quite often. Many reviews I read are also somewhat supportive.
i was wondering what the general consensus was on these engines??
what are the most reliable sizes .40 , .48 , .68 ?
thanks I appreciate it.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:26 AM
rgburrill

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The early MDS had leaky carburetor o-rings but that got fixed after a few years. I initially had a .61 that had a lot of power but developed a leaky o-ring after 2 years. Believe or not they replace the engine free with a .68 which worked like a charm. The biggest issue I knew of with them was a bias against a (whether true or not I don't know) "Russian" engine. I think the .48 and .68 were later engines, the .40 could be either.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They’re decent engines of good metallurgy. The only problem with a few of them are poorly made carburetors. Otherwise they last a long time. I put a piston/liner from a 10 gallon MDS .40 into a Fox .50 case and it still runs to this day with a little pinch left. I have a couple other MDS .21 engines too - all decent runners.

MVVS are made in The Chech Republic and are a different breed of engine. Good engines, just distinctly different from MDS which were made in Russia or Ukraine. I’m actually looking for a piston and liner for an MDS .21 rear exhaust Marine Diesel. I have a boat I’m going to put it into, but the piston fit is a little loose for good diesel operation. (EBay buy touted as nearly new. Looked it, but didn’t run like it)
Old 02-16-2020, 06:45 AM
aspeed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MDS took over the old Ucktkam line. They were very rough quality with sand in the castings and were machined in high schools I have heard. When MDS too over, they seemed much better. I have a few .15s and a .40. The .40 runs well on the stand but not overly fast. Got an MVVS .21 that runs very strong, and an MVVS .15 that looks like a high performance Rossi but runs slower than an LA .15. Whenever I see a good deal on either brand, I would not hesitate to get more. I would not pay more than $50 but maybe that is just me.The MVVS often come with a nice tuned muffler.