Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Older OS engine eating glow plugs

Old 01-30-2021, 01:44 PM
BLBncsu

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Older OS engine eating glow plugs

Hi all. Long time coming back into hobby. I have a 16 year old hpi on road car with a 15 year old OS Max 18CV-r series engine it. Getting it restarted today and went through 4 glow plugs with the filament being bent up inside the plug.
I reset engine to factor specs. Used brand new 20% nitro but only 9% oil. Manual says to use nothing less than 18% lubricant. In the past, 2 years ago it was running fine but wasnít sure what fuel I had at the time. Very little smoke coming out at factory startup settings. Iím wondering from those here is the oil content too low? What could cause 4 plugs to be bent and go bad? It would fire up and idle fine and run a bit, not at great power since seemed to be rich, but once it died I removed the plugs and they all had gone bad. Using prob 15 year old os8 plugs in it. Open to any help!
Old 01-30-2021, 03:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 89 Likes on 74 Posts

Bearing coming apart or RTV if you used too much on the muffler seal
Old 01-30-2021, 04:28 PM
BLBncsu

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Havenít ever used rtv on the muffler seal. Curious what would make a bearing go bad? Year and half ago it ran well and from then just sat. Anyway to check it?
The following users liked this post:
franchi (02-17-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:12 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inspect the bearing cage on the rear bearing. They come apart gradually and introduce little pieces of shrapnel into the cylinder. I ignored the initial sign (mangled glow plug element) on one of my engines and continued running it with a new glow plug. A short time later the engine seized in flight. A larger chunk of the cage had wedged between the piston and one of the ports. The engine was ruined.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:49 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ask a Heli guy, he'll say it's the bearing, replace it

Jim
Old 02-04-2021, 04:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 89 Likes on 74 Posts

He already did and that's what I said
The following users liked this post:
franchi (02-17-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 08:06 AM
aspeed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bit late here. Bent coil is usually too high compression. Vapourised coil is too lean. I would add a shim to the head and richen it a bit assuming bearings and other things mentioned are OK. Once the coil is vapourised a few times the powder on top of the piston and head will need to be cleaned off or it will blow more plugs too.