Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

What to do with my planes and engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What to do with my planes and engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 07:00 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do with my planes and engines?

After my old rc flying friend passed away and old age took its toll on my coordination. I quit flying years ago. I re-registered here after following a link to a really old thread. I have a storage shed full of planes that I probably will never fly again. Nobody else around here flies rc and I'm not going out by myself. What would be a good way to get them to someone who would appreciate and use them, not just sell them for cash? The nearest clubs are a long ways away and my driving distance is very limited.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:42 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TimC
After my old rc flying friend passed away and old age took its toll on my coordination. I quit flying years ago. I re-registered here after following a link to a really old thread. I have a storage shed full of planes that I probably will never fly again. Nobody else around here flies rc and I'm not going out by myself. What would be a good way to get them to someone who would appreciate and use them, not just sell them for cash? The nearest clubs are a long ways away and my driving distance is very limited.
I would put together a list of the main items you have, perhaps noting how equipped and condition.
Send it, and pictures, to a few of the clubs. Here is a link to the AMA Club Finder for clubs within 99 miles of Lone Pine. https://www.modelaircraft.org/club-f...2C-118.0628654
State your intention for the items - donate to members for use or club training, can some items be sold to raise money to support the club, is everything free, do they have to take it all, would you like some level of reimbursement?

One of my clubs here in Minn, frequently help with this kind of problem. Just last week a member picked up an "estate" of 28 models from a gentleman with similar wishes. In this case, the models were offered to club members at very, very low prices. Funds to be used for club field maintenance. At other times, donated models (and other equipment) are used as club trainers or just given to members just starting out. If the person wants to sell, then at minimum the club will forward the list and selling info to its members.

As you noted, driving distance is a dis-incentive to potential sale. But if it is as extensive as you say, you may be surprised at the number of clubs that will be willing to make the drive to take it all, either as a donation or if it is at a very low cost. Just be selective as to who, since you want it used, and not just taken by a "flipper" who is looking to make a quick buck.
The following users liked this post:
TimC (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 06:36 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

You are not that far from China Lake Naval Air Weapons Center. Perhaps they have a group of RC pilots there.
TimC (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 06:54 AM
TimC

I'm more interested in seeing the planes go to someone who will use them. Money is not a big deal. On a trip north of here a few months ago I stopped by the local rc flying field. There was a good crowd but the planes were mostly electric powered, sailplanes and one helicopter. I don't think there was but one glow engine plane. I had given a giant scale to one of the members up there years ago and was hoping to see him. I was told he was down to flying a small electric plane. Age had taken it's toll with him too. A young guy up there said he would get in touch, but hasn't called yet.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:33 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It's a sad state. I have inherited from friends who have passed 3 different times. It's heartbreaking that you can't find someone who will appreciate what is it. In the end I sold the engines on ebay for most of them and gave the money to the widow. I few I was able to give to people to hang for decoration. But now I have airframes stacked in the rafters that I can't bear to throw away.
David
The following 3 users liked this post by daveopam:
Bigshark (07-20-2021), jeep36 (12-17-2021), TimC (05-28-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 07:18 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take photos. Advertise. Require shipment to be paid by the buyer
TimC (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 07:23 AM
TimC

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
Take photos. Advertise. Require shipment to be paid by the buyer
Don't need the money. Just trying to find a good home for them with someone I can trust not to just sell them for easy cash.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:34 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

If you have spare engines that need a good home, I’m an avid collector and user of old engines. I would put some to good use if you don’t find anyone that wants them.
TimC (08-01-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 10:58 AM
HansenTsang

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TimC
Don't need the money. Just trying to find a good home for them with someone I can trust not to just sell them for easy cash.
Even if the local club is far way from you, your best bet is to attend a club meeting and talk to the club members. You deal with them face to face. Give them your address and ask them to show up to your location. Dealing online is fraught with scams. You will attract all kinds of opportunistic sharks that will take what you have and flip them for monetary benefits. Your club will at least have a bunch of like minded people that will enjoy the hobby. Do it one time. If you have been a serious flyer you must have some friends that share the same interest from before. Contact them and have them drive you to the club meeting. Put you mind to it if you are really serious.
TimC (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:30 AM
TimC

Originally Posted by HansenTsang
If you have been a serious flyer you must have some friends that share the same interest from before.
I went by the flying field of a club up north of here and told some of the members about my planes and told them my number was in the book.
They might have called, but I have to screen calls due to constant telemarketers and unless they left a message on my machine, I missed them.
All the guys I flew with have passed on. I'm the last one. Your suggestion is good though about the club. I'll go back up there soon and tell them to talk to my answering machine or leave a message. They said they come down here once and awhile to fly on the big dry lake here.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:18 AM
HansenTsang

Smile

>>All the guys I flew with have passed on. I'm the last one.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:32 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Hansen - are you the SeismicCwave I know over on the other forum?
Old 08-23-2021, 12:22 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't get the telemarketers, they have learned to keep away. they don't like fake C-Card numbers LOL I get scammers weekly, sometimes 4 or 5 a day. but they have slowed down some. it's 4:21 and I only had 1 call today.. boy they sure get mad at me LOL

what ever you do, never never say the word yes on the phone to a scammer, they record, and they can use the word to order things !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-23-2021 at 12:26 PM. Reason: sorry for the edit
TimC (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 08:06 PM
HansenTsang

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Hansen - are you the SeismicCwave I know over on the other forum?
Yes Tim. One and the same.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:40 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yes Tim. One and the same.
I didn’t know you inhabited this realm too. Good to know! I’m rarely on RCU anymore though. It used to be way better than RCG is. The glitches from software changes drove a lot of people away it seems.

I didn’t realize how much I used to post here. I still really don’t have a life.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 08-27-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:27 PM
HansenTsang

I didn’t know you inhabited this realm too. Good to know! I’m rarely on RCU anymore though. It used to be way better than RCG is. The glitches from software changes drove a lot of people away it seems.

I didn’t realize how much I used to post here. I still really don’t have a life.
I have signed up here for a while. I just have not been on very much. As you said the software issue and the forums are just a little harder to navigate. However RCG seemed to be losing the appeal for me a bit. Not as interesting anymore. So I figured I will double dip and go on both sites to see if I can learn more.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:11 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

RCU has always been more laid back. Moderation is much more reasonable and there are far less trolls here. But there’s a lot less traffic too.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:07 AM
HansenTsang

RCU has always been more laid back. Moderation is much more reasonable and there are far less trolls here. But there’s a lot less traffic too.
Yup, you are right. This place is a lot more relaxed. I will surf on here more once I get a desk top computer back in place. This iPad Pro monitor is still too small for my eyes. Plus I am so use to using a mouse it is hard to touch the screen with my fingers.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yeah, I hear ya. I am fortunate to still have good eyes. I normally use my phone, but I will use my computer if I need to deal with more complicated files. I am more proficient on the computer (I’ve been a computer guy for 30 years) but my phone is much more convenient. And I’m lazy.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:23 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Take your planes to a swap meet. If someone shows interest give them the plane.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:10 AM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually a good plan. Otherwise they may end up in the dump. Sad but oh so true.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:46 AM
HansenTsang

Yeah, I hear ya. I am fortunate to still have good eyes. I normally use my phone, but I will use my computer if I need to deal with more complicated files. I am more proficient on the computer (I’ve been a computer guy for 30 years) but my phone is much more convenient. And I’m lazy.
I am a lot better with my computer than the phone. My good eyes are lasered for seeing my model airplanes in the sky. I have to use reading glasses to see near.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:49 AM
HansenTsang

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark
Take your planes to a swap meet. If someone shows interest give them the plane.
At least the OP can "drive" to a swap meet. Over here the island is only so big and not a lot of people. I can't even give my planes away since no one can fly the planes I have. So unfortunately my planes will eventually all rot way.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:04 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

At least the OP can "drive" to a swap meet. Over here the island is only so big and not a lot of people. I can't even give my planes away since no one can fly the planes I have. So unfortunately my planes will eventually all rot way.

Cheer up!

Might as well crash em while you still are able.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:48 PM
HansenTsang

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Cheer up!

Might as well crash em while you still are able.
I am trying my best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.