Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

OS FS.70 Surpass . Valve cleaning/laping advice?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS FS.70 Surpass . Valve cleaning/laping advice?

Old 10-06-2021, 04:51 AM
MrRover75

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS FS.70 Surpass . Valve cleaning/laping advice?

Hi all,

As I am going to take my OS .70 Surpass apart, I want to ask for advice regarding the need for cleaning, checking and potential laping of the cylinder head valves? Can the valves of these engines be lapped like a conventional car engine or should nothing be done or in other ways?

Thanks for your great answers
Old 10-06-2021, 06:19 AM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shouldn't require lapping but f you do this operation use a gentle abrasive. Maybe toothpaste as the seats ae not hard like in a car engine.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:47 AM
HansenTsang

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRover75 View Post
Hi all,

As I am going to take my OS .70 Surpass apart, I want to ask for advice regarding the need for cleaning, checking and potential laping of the cylinder head valves? Can the valves of these engines be lapped like a conventional car engine or should nothing be done or in other ways?

Thanks for your great answers
I like to check for leaks first before deciding if anything needs to be done. Take the head apart. Take off the valve spring. Turn the cylinder head upside down and keep the valves in place. Gently push the valves in place. Then put some alcohol on the combustion chamber. Look to see if any of the alcohol is leaking out. If the valves are holding back the alcohol you are good to go.

Ok I am not talking first hand about an OS 70 Surpass. I did this method on a Saito FA72.

Mine didn't leak. However just for grins I put a bit of Flitz metal polish on the valves and spun it with a fuel tube slipped over the valve stems. It did shine up the edge of the valves nicely.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:17 AM
MrRover75

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HansenTsang View Post
I like to check for leaks first before deciding if anything needs to be done. Take the head apart. Take off the valve spring. Turn the cylinder head upside down and keep the valves in place. Gently push the valves in place. Then put some alcohol on the combustion chamber. Look to see if any of the alcohol is leaking out. If the valves are holding back the alcohol you are good to go.

Ok I am not talking first hand about an OS 70 Surpass. I did this method on a Saito FA72.

Mine didn't leak. However just for grins I put a bit of Flitz metal polish on the valves and spun it with a fuel tube slipped over the valve stems. It did shine up the edge of the valves nicely.
A bit of metal polish seems reasonable if they are leaking Thanks for the tip.