Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Got a used nitro engine

Old 10-09-2021, 06:52 PM
Thunder man

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Got a used nitro engine

Hello, I'm new to nitro, and I would like some advice about how to check if I need to rebuild it, the engine in question is a used Align 50

I've taking in it to a hobby shop, and I was recommended to just rebuild it, and was told its compression is no good.

I've managed to take out the sleeve using a plastic servo arm, and then, I pulled out the piston head with the arm.

I've noticed that the piston has a slight deformity, I assume it will need to be replaced. along with the sleeve and piston arm.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:28 AM
HansenTsang

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder man View Post
Hello, I'm new to nitro, and I would like some advice about how to check if I need to rebuild it, the engine in question is a used Align 50

I've taking in it to a hobby shop, and I was recommended to just rebuild it, and was told its compression is no good.

I've managed to take out the sleeve using a plastic servo arm, and then, I pulled out the piston head with the arm.

I've noticed that the piston has a slight deformity, I assume it will need to be replaced. along with the sleeve and piston arm.
Sounds like you have taken it apart already. So the question of rebuilding it is already moot. The next question is if you can still get parts to rebuild the engine.

You need at least new piston and sleeve, new bearings and gasket for the backplate if there is one.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:20 AM
Thunder man

Thanks for the reply.

From what I heard, the Align 50 is the same as the OS 50 Hyper if I'm correct, and the parts of the OS SX-H are compatible with the OS 50 Hyper if I am correct again, so I only need the parts of the OS SX-H 50 to rebuild my engine, but I need to confirm if the parts are absolutely compatible. Also, should I just buy a new OS 50 SX-H? if I were to buy the parts, I would already be half way to a new engine in terms of cost. maybe even more considering shipping cost. At least I would have the confidence that the new engine wont come with any problems.

Last edited by Thunder man; 10-10-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:26 AM
HansenTsang

Thanks for the reply.

From what I heard, the Align 50 is the same as the OS 50 Hyper if I'm correct, and the parts of the OS SX-H are compatible with the OS 50 Hyper, so I only need the parts of the OS SX-H 50 to rebuild my engine, but I need to confirm if the parts are absolutely compatible.
That is great if it is true. I have the OS 50 Hyper but not the Align so I don't know if they are the same engine.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:44 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

By the time you get over OS price sticker shock, you can find another healthy engine to replace the worn engine for less.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:55 AM
Thunder man

I see what you mean, in that case what do you think would be a good cheap 50 size engine? I have a raptor 50.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:14 AM
HansenTsang

I see what you mean, in that case what do you think would be a good cheap 50 size engine? I have a raptor 50.
I picked up my OS 50 Hyper at a fairly good price on eBay. There is really no sticker shock with OS engines. Just browse on eBay or other classifieds. Lots of people and selling these engines. Then again it all depends on your point of view as to what is cheap and what is expensive. Don't expect to find a good one for $30 but you can probably get a good one for a little over $100.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:17 PM
Thunder man

I might consider ordering the parts instead, it would be a shame to have a useless engine just hanging around. Do you think just a new sleeve and piston, and new gaskets would be good enough? and should I replace the conrod? the carb, and frame along with the shaft seem fine
Old 10-10-2021, 01:19 PM
HansenTsang

I might consider ordering the parts instead, it would be a shame to have a useless engine just hanging around. Do you think just a new sleeve and piston, and new gaskets would be good enough? and should I replace the conrod? the carb, and frame along with the shaft seem fine
It depends. That's what you have to scrutinize the parts and evaluation. Sometimes it cost more to repair than replace.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:20 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

if you wanted to rebuild it to put it in a plane, I would just go over to RCG and buy that HB 61 that was never started for $125, it's a very well made engine.

if you want to rebuild it to put it in a Heli then make very well sure what parts it needs to rebuild it, and add up the price. cause as they say above it may cost more to rebuild it than it's worth

Jim
Old 10-10-2021, 07:22 PM
Thunder man

I plan on using the engine for a helicopter, and from what I heard the Aling 50 is the same as the OS 50 Hyper if I'm correct.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:09 PM
the Wasp

I plan on using the engine for a helicopter, and from what I heard the Aling 50 is the same as the OS 50 Hyper if I'm correct.
yes Sr. you are correct! in fact, the Piston, Liner, Ring and Rod and Case are the same as in the OS 50sx.

Jim
Old 10-11-2021, 06:22 PM
Thunder man

Thanks for the confirmation, I might buy the parts instead of buying an engine, but both options seem practical.

One more thing, Is the TT 53 any good for the thunder tiger 50? If I decide to buy a new engine, I might want to try something different. What are some good alternatives for a 50 size heli motor?

Last edited by Thunder man; 10-11-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:20 PM
the Wasp

Thanks for the confirmation, I might buy the parts instead of buying an engine, but both options seem practical.

One more thing, Is the TT 53 any good for the thunder tiger 50? If I decide to buy a new engine, I might want to try something different. What are some good alternatives for a 50 size heli motor?
well, IMO the 53 does not have the quality of the OS 50 or 55, and OS Carbs are fantastic.

Jim
Old 10-12-2021, 07:18 PM
Thunder man

Thanks for the info, how is the OS55HZ-H for the raptor 50?
Old 10-22-2021, 03:29 AM
1967brutus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, how is the OS55HZ-H for the raptor 50?
Just brilliant, and quite a bit more powerful than the 50 you have now, even if it were in top notch condition.