Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS Cylinder Liners ???

Old 10-17-2021, 01:15 PM
vwitte
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Cylinder Liners ???

Over the past five or six years Iíve purchased about ten or more OS Max FP engines from Ebay. Various sizes and displacements.
Upon taking off the engine head Iíve noticed a few engines have hairline and spotted exposures of the brass cylinder sleeve underneath the Chrome/Nickel plating.
How much Chrome or Nickel plating must be missing before the engine performance suffers?
can these OS liners be re-Chromed or Plated?
I realize the FP Series engines are cheep, but they run well for me.
Any help is appreciated.
as always Iím always looking for New Os 7B carburetors

Ö..
Old 10-17-2021, 06:47 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

That is the curse of owning OS Engines. Their liners have a tendency to peel (or rather, have the plating layer delaminated and flake off). Certain circumstances will accelerate the peeling whereas others may never have it happen. Once a delamination occurs, piston seal is compromised and performance will drop off depending on how bad the delamination is. Some engines run for a long time and others crap out quickly. Parts are expensive and hard to come by, so people either dump the old engine into a box and replace it, or they find suitable replacement parts from another manufacturer. Examples are using ASP .40/.46 piston/liner sets in OS FX series engines or Royal. 40/.46 liners in OS SF series engines and having better performance and longer life. (As examples). Iím not aware of any replacements that are a direct fit to an OS FP series.

Re-plating is costly and often more expensive than replacing the liner/piston set.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:28 PM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Konrad
Old 10-19-2021, 04:46 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had two engines with peeled liners... a 40FX and a 65LA. In both cases, the engine would hardly run - it was not a subtle problem. If your engine is performing satisfactorily then I say just ignore the missing plating. It may (or may not) go for years without becoming a problem. You will know when it becomes a real problem.

I think that stripping and re-plating is probably out of the question. For what it would cost to set up and plate a single liner you might buy several new engines.