Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Help with Schnuerle porting history

Old 01-27-2023, 02:31 PM
sharp333
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Schnuerle porting history

Had recently a debate with friends about who was company to launch a Schnuerle ported MODEL engine. Everybody thinks it was HP, with the 0.15 engine.
But one friend swears it was ST the first one, with the so called TST porting scheme.
so, here are the questions to the experts on glow engines:

1.who was the first? Engine and year

2. What was the first ST engine to use their TST porting? Engine and year
Old 01-27-2023, 04:16 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

There was another port upgrade en vogue about that same time, Perry Directional Porting or PDP.
The late Clarence Lee performed that work on domestic engines.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:56 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharp333
But one friend swears it was ST the first one, with the so called TST porting scheme.

1.who was the first? Engine and year

2. What was the first ST engine to use their TST porting? Engine and year
This all goes back to history and the problems with patents but as far as model engines go Super Tigre first used their (patented) TST porting in 1959 with their G.20/15V "Jubilee" for CL speed and was so successful that Bill Wisniewski (a competitor in 1960) asked ST for permission to use their porting for an engine of his own design. I won't go into the details of the shenanigans used by the Italian team to "win" the '60 world championships but the outcome was that ST refused to let him use their TST porting. BW then spent a few years trying to develop a different porting system which eventuated into a Schneurle ported engine (the 1964 K&B 15RS (WART) engine) when BW won the world championship. AFAIK the Enya 61X was the first production engine to use Schneurle porting in about 1977.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:43 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Both the Super Tigre X40 and the K&B S40 were Schneurle ported, and in production several years before the date that you have for the Enya .61. The K&B S40's prototype was issued in approximately 1972, and the Super Tigre about the same time.
The following users liked this post:
RCFlyerDan (01-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 01:19 AM
sharp333
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by downunder
This all goes back to history and the problems with patents but as far as model engines go Super Tigre first used their (patented) TST porting in 1959 with their G.20/15V "Jubilee" for CL speed and was so successful that Bill Wisniewski (a competitor in 1960) asked ST for permission to use their porting for an engine of his own design. I won't go into the details of the shenanigans used by the Italian team to "win" the '60 world championships but the outcome was that ST refused to let him use their TST porting. BW then spent a few years trying to develop a different porting system which eventuated into a Schneurle ported engine (the 1964 K&B 15RS (WART) engine) when BW won the world championship. AFAIK the Enya 61X was the first production engine to use Schneurle porting in about 1977.
I believe the HP engines predates the Enya 61X
Old 01-28-2023, 05:47 AM
tec7474

If it is a known fact that schnurle porting improves overall performance in an engine across the entire rpm range and also improves fuel consumption why then do most of the newer gasoline engines have cheap porting that is not much better than what you find in a basic crossflow engine? I have only looked inside a few newer gas engines but I was unimpressed
Old 01-28-2023, 07:34 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tec7474
If it is a known fact that schnurle porting improves overall performance in an engine across the entire rpm range and also improves fuel consumption why then do most of the newer gasoline engines have cheap porting that is not much better than what you find in a basic crossflow engine? I have only looked inside a few newer gas engines but I was unimpressed
????

Can't remember having seen any crossflow engines lately... Schuerle (often without the boost port, but that is how Schürle porting started out originally) is used in basically every 2-stroke I know of.

FWIW: the boost port improves power, but NOT fuel economy. An engine without the boost port, for the same horsepower rating is a bit more economical, but will have to have a touch more displacement. But to be honest, I only know of the OS FP and LA series having that type of porting. Basically every other engine I have seen has either boosted Schürle or higher.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:19 PM
tec7474

From what I understand as porting types improved from perry directional porting and on to schnurle porting which is used today with glow engines those porting types do in fact offer better efficiency than standard crossflow induction but from my experimentation the newer gas engines will do the intended purpose and fly the model well but the level of quality in workmanship of gasoline engines like DLE or other similar engines have been vastly decreased in quality in comparison to a nice glow engine. I am flying with a glow moki 2.1 and it has far nicer quality to what is found in your typical gas engine of today. I have not looked inside a DA engine or a 3W so they might be a better engine
Old 01-28-2023, 03:30 PM
tec7474

A good example of the reduced quality in modern day DLE engines is if you get to look inside a K&B sportster engine they are ported the same way as newer gas engines they just have a couple channels cut out of the cylinder for ports and the sleeve only supports the piston part of the way around . I'm sure this method is cheaper to manufacture but I prefer a higher level of craftsmanship in engines I choose