Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Norvel Big Mig .25 What Plug?

Old 10-02-2003, 12:39 PM
RBacio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel Big Mig .25 What Plug?

Does anyone familiar with the Norvel Big Mig .25 have any insight on the best plug to use for a reliable idle. I run it on 15% and have not shimmed the head. Presently I am running an OS#8 glow plug. When I remove the "heater" the RPM's fall off about 500 to a grand. I don't really want to bump up the nitro because I run all of my planes on 15% and if possible would like to stick to one grade of fuel. I think that a "short", "hot" plug would get me where I need to be, any suggestions??? For that matter, I know this is a popular motor among the "combat" community so I am open to suggestions from any of you "combatants", on how to get the most out of this motor in general.

Thanks,
RBacio
Mesquite, TX
Old 10-02-2003, 01:19 PM
wldcwbypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Norvel Big Mig .25 What Plug?

I would use a short glow plug, with an idle bar to start your break in. I would also break it in on the bench and not in the air, Norvels are very tight and tend to heat up when first used. I have a Norvel .074 and it reqired higher nitro content. I am not a believer in place a new engine no matter what brand on the plane and flying it to break it in. I have met some people, who do have that preference, i also notice that many of there planes are in pieces. Because of break in flame outs to low to the ground. I treat all engines two stroke or four stroke just like would a Saito Four Stroke break them in easy and they last forever.