Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Vmax .46 engines good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:52 PM
paccmd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vmax .46 engines good or bad

Does anyone have any input on Vmar .46 pro engines and if they are OK? Also is there a engine brand that stands above the rest?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:15 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Vmax .46 engines good or bad

Pac:

Your header says "Vmax." while the body of the post says "Vmar."

If it is Vmar I wouldn't consider the engine on a bet - I'd be afraid it would be just as crappy as their bARF planes. If it's Vmax, and has no connection to Vmar or Seagull, I'd try one if it were given to me.

Bill.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:34 PM
paccmd

It is stamped vmax engine but I think its made by vmar but not sure. Thanks for your input
Old 10-06-2003, 11:01 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pac:

Looking back at my earlier post, "...I'd try one if it were given to me." I have given a wrong impression.

I am happy with my current engine brands, unless I get a "Super Deal" (like somebody giving me one) I'll stay with what I have.

But I'm serious about Vmar - they were a big disappointment to me. Planes looked great in the ads, get one and find it's a real POS.

Bill.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:21 PM
maxtenet

POS. I'm sure you mean Positively Outstanding Surprise. Just Kidding.

Max
Old 11-18-2003, 06:57 PM
kickstart

I have a VMAX engine and to my surprise after a good break in I'm glad I got it. Just to let you know the VMAX engine is a GMS engine, it is sold by the same company that sells the VMAR Planes. I was going to sell the plane and engine and have since decided to just sell the plane and keep the VMAX 46 Engine. It is a great running engine, with plenty of power and good response, turns a 10x6 APC at 13,800 rpm's.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Big Pete

It got an excellent review in the Feb 2004 issue of Fly RC magazine.

Pete K.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:29 PM
donaldv9

I purchased a Vmax 52 pro with the Stinger as a combo. Both have been a big disappointment. The balsa is cheap and cracked the fuselage when I just picked up the plane. Had to change all hardware because it was so cheap and did not fit together properly. The engine runs great and followed their procedure on break-in and she starts right up every time. After twelve fights the bolt that runs through the muffler casing just sheared at the nut in the front of the muffler casing. I have several brands of engines and never saw anything like this. Engine was starting to run like it was losing losing compression after 10 mins so I brought the plane in and when I picked it up off the taxi-way the muffler casing fell off and that's when I noticed the shearing of the bolt. Richmond RC has the worse support and will not cover this under warranty, nor do get any responses from them unless you send a nasty email. I called them and the lady told me they were to busy to get to me at this time. I wanted a month with no response. I will never buy another ting from them or give them recommendations. I purchased this plane based on a review done on this site. I no longer believe the reviews done here, just the forums because you are actually getting the full story from the experience of many people here that are the production models, not the primo ones sent to reviewers. Their site is also terrible to get around and find parts for the engine. Even though this engine runs great, I do not trust it as to how long it will last. Don't buy anything from Richmond RC unless you want no service and no warranty because they do not stand behind their products, they just want your money. I expect them to be out of business in year!
Old 09-29-2005, 11:54 AM
cjensen

The failure rate at our club for the vmax engines (made by vmar) has been around 75% this year.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:13 AM
donaldv9

I just bought the rear exhaust nozzle to replace the one that fell off and it took them almost 2 weeks to finally ship the part. Still have not received it. I saw a muffler that looks just like it from Tower Hobbies and ordered it 2 days ago and it has already shipped from them. I expect to receive it way before the Vmar shipment. I'll let you know if it fits. I've had great success with my Evolutions engines and looking forward to buying a Saito F100.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

Well i cant say one word bad about the VMax engine. I had two of the 46 size engines and both run great for years. I had one of the engines on a trainer plane and i am sure i put 5-6 gal of fuel through it before it wore out. The other one was on a space walker i built new and i am sure i had 1+ gals through it before i sold the plane and it was running like new when i sold it. If i could find some at a LHS I would get two more of them just to have when i need it. You are going to get a bad engine with any of them I dont care who makes it. Best thing to do is go with something you know ppl are getting good service out of and hope for the best. I have has Saitos i could not make run right from the time they was new, And i have had them run for years with out trouble.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had an issue with Richmond RC, Have delt with them for10 years, my first plane was a Apache ll set up as a tail dragger powered by an Irvine 40 diesel it is 10 years, just updated the power plant to an Irvine 53 with a davis diesel head a year ago and its a whole new ball game, also have the update Apache lll has a mag 4 strk 52 have not flownyet and just got a nouvo 1300 electric great hardware the clevises are machined cnc, horns metal and bolt on this will get an OS10, TT10, or enya cx11 diesel have not decided yet, came in huge box wing one piece no joining no epoxy martin

never owned a vmax engine, at one time or still do sell enyas also