Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Porting 2 Stroke

Old 04-29-2002, 08:16 PM
Razor_Sharp
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting 2 Stroke

I never read anything about cleaning up the intake an exhaust ports on our engines. Does it help airplane engines?

My neighbor has a T-Maxx car. He said he ported it and it seemed to help. He said it lost some ability to idle. Any info would be appreciated.

I can see How you could match the exhaust side, but the intake side looks alittle trickier. Also it seems that opening the ports any top to bottom, would change the intake and exhaust timing.

Thanks,
Gregg
Old 04-30-2002, 01:50 AM
ChuckN

Default Porting 2 Stroke

Yes, you have to be careful. Especially on the small engines. Removing just .010" of material can make a big difference in port timing.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:10 AM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Default Porting 2 Stroke

You can gently smooth out the ports but do not grind away at the top of the ports. As ChuckN said that would change the timing and cause unforseen running problems. I ported an R/C car engine and it was much faster. You don't really need to enlarge the ports, in fact, I recommend that you don't even get to the inner surface. Any tiny burs that you don't polish perfectly smooth on the sleeve will score the piston and comprimise compression. Just smooth out any corners and polish all the rough spots.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:30 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Smoothing ports...

If it is ABC, you won't have to worry about grinding the port..I have to use a cut-off wheel to get thru the chrome so a tungsten cutter will ever start to remove any brass.

If it is not ABC, I wouldn't grind on it, any way.

ChuckN and I hashed over a few points here:
http://www.flightlines.com/forum/For...ML/000364.html
Old 05-01-2002, 03:38 PM
rsieminski

Default Porting 2 Stroke

Does anyone have any pictures of these mods? Or pictures of where exactly, you are smoothing out the ports?
--Rick
Old 05-01-2002, 10:19 PM
rsieminski

Default Porting 2 Stroke

The closest thing I could find is here --> http://www.rcnitro.com/articles/engine_timing.asp But some before and after pics, with performance data would be great.
Thanks,
--Rick