Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

took it apart need help putting it back together

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

took it apart need help putting it back together

Old 10-21-2003, 09:11 PM
CHRISTANEAGLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default took it apart need help putting it back together

Can anyone out there give me more information on re-installing the crankshaft and the camshaft timing gears on on saito .65 engine.The cam shaft has a timing mark but I can't find a mark on the crankshaft.I have the manual but I need some advice from someone that has done this before. Iam replacing the bearings and hope to get high speed bearings from boca bearings in a few days.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:52 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: took it apart need help putting it back together

Eagle:

Look at the cam shaft, in the base circle near the inlet cam lobe there's a hole in the shaft. Saito sells a tool that goes throught the inlet tappet bore and engages this hole, and that locks the cam in the correct position for assembly. This is with the crank pin at TDC.

You can use anything that will go into the hole to hold the cam as you set the housing in place, then before you pull it out rock the crank, make sure the crank pin goes an equal distance either side of TDC. If you are one tooth off it will make so much difference in the travel you can't miss it, lift the cam housing and try again.

I'm working on a posting for Saito assembly, with pictures including the timing tool. Since you don't have your bearings yet you might want to wait.

Bill.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:47 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 4-stroke books on both Saito & OS , available from RC Modeler magazine. A good investment . MAX H.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:27 PM
CHRISTANEAGLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help got the bearings in and started it up last night.It ran good right from the start.I simply lined up the mark at 6 o' clock and the crank at tdc.