Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 90 Radial

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 05:36 PM
ZeppelinIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 90 Radial

I'm really comfortable with 2 stroke engines, and have some experience with 4 strokes, but I'm really interested in the Saito 90 sized radial for a project and have never tried any radial engines before so I'm looking for any general tips for this (and other radial engines)...I've searched around here a little and I'm looking for some general tips on installation (will it have vibration issues bolted directly to the firewall?) as well as other thoughts....from what i gathered before it was suggested to run #F plugs (O.S.) and on board glow...
Old 02-10-2004, 08:41 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Saito 90 Radial

howdy zep, that vibration issue can be put to rest, the multi-cyl engines are pretty smooth. I have the 1.70 radial, & "WOW" what a peice of work. I have about a gallon of fuel through it & it just keeps getting better. & the sound at low idle (with glow plugs lit) will almost but you in a trance. At full throttle, its just plain loud, but nice. I have the o.s. "f" type plugs for it, but while I'm still running it on the rich side, I dont want to foul those plugs up. I got them for when its in the plane & more broke in. Its going in a 1/5 waco bi-plane. Should be sweet. As it is getting more time on it, I'm able to get the idle lower without the plugs lit, but it still needs a little more time to get lower. Its doing good now at 2600-2700 without the plugs lit. when new, couldnt get it under 3500 without powering the plugs. as I lean it out bits at a time, it just keeps getting sweeter & sweeter. You'll love it if you get it, almost to the point of not wanting to fly it, just letting it run at idle, all day long, like in the living room, kitchen, or even when guest's stop over for the holiday's. any excuse to run it is ok. really!. good luck. mildbill
Old 02-11-2004, 10:46 AM
ZeppelinIII

Thanks a lot MILDBILL.....what are you running in it for fuel? also, how long do you think I should break it in on the bench before putting it in the plane?

Thanks,
Zepp
Old 02-11-2004, 05:45 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I'm using byron 15% 2 stroke fuel, I've tried 4 stroke 20%, a lot less smoke was made, (less oil), but idle wasnt improved enough to spend the extra money over the 15% i already had. These saito's have taken over a gallon of fuel to really break in fully. & I'm not sure if thats even enough. With a zinger 16-6, I was getting 9200 out of it when I peaked it out. I didnt feel like keeping it there so I richend it up to do about 8100 at full throttle. There pretty thirsty little darlings, so it shouldnt take long to get 1/2 a gallon through it. after that, I'd reset the valve clearance & as long as the high speed needle is set a little (400-500 rpm drop)on the rich side, & it will hold a decent idle, (so you wont have to go chasing the plane), I'd fly it. My waco is in the "sand till smooth, then fill in gaps & inperfection's, & sand some more" stage. so i dont mind running the engine on the bench this long. I would have flown it after the 1/2 gallon mark base'd on how well it was doing at that time, or stage of breaking in. "all the best" mildbill