Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 06:31 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnum Engines?

Will have to try those lower pitch props,think I have always been using a higher pitch.Haven't really seriously tried it to much lately,most of my flying is in Az during the winter,seems the wind won't quit blowing here in Wi,this summer.It did get to some good RPMs but just seemed not powerful but again I am used to 46FXs and that it isn't.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I have several MVVS engines on funfly planes, they really scream, then I fly a 4 stroke right after.......apples and oranges.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:55 AM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: Gizmo-RCU

I have several MVVS engines on funfly planes, they really scream, then I fly a 4 stroke right after.......apples and oranges.
yes, apples and oranges fo' sho'! completely different applications.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:58 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Magnum 46XLS with 30 min breakin and about 10 flights. So far it is great. Good reliable idle, good transition, no deadsticks, and definitely stronger than the OS40FX that it replaced.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

i wont buy a magnum motor ever again after what nhappened yesterday i was flying my u can do with a magnum 91 2 stroke and the crank snapped the moter was only5 months old im just glad this didnt happen in the pits . also did i metion this was at a funfly with 300+ people watching and i was the first guy in the air i was in a low huver when it happend and with so much tailweight to do all the3d stuff the plane was unflyable and was totally lost it did the best tailslide ive ever seen. so if i were you id spend the extra 50 bucks and buy the os also this exact same thing happened to my friend magnum 91
Old 07-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Was the new XLS 91 or the older XL 91? One other thing if you don't mind, did you ever crash a plane or break a prop with this engine?
I have a number of Magnums as do some of my friends, no such problems. BTW sorry for your loss it hurts more when you didn't have any blame and the equipment gives up on you.
It is almost always my fault......Oh Well!
Old 07-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Mark Dennis

it was in one slight crash i was hovering over the end of the runway and lost control but the motor hit last and only niked the prop also my friends broke before it was even broken in these were both the newer version im not saying it was a bad motor it ran like a champ but still if this would have happened in the pits it could of really hurt someone. ill call magnum on tuesday and see what they have to say
Old 07-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Gizmo-RCU

Thanks for the info., there is quite a lot of diffrence in the old and new 91 2 strokes so it would not likely be a production run of bad cranks. Sometimes an accident that is minor is just the right thing to cause problems a little later?
Good luck with Magnum, they have been good to me....
Old 07-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Mark Dennis

is there any chance they'll do anything about the plane?
Old 07-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Gizmo-RCU

As far as the plane I have no way of knowing. Above all be civil at the very least, the person you will be in contact did not make the engine and will have to go with company policy. If you are nice they are going to be much more inclined to help as much as they can. I have never lost a plane from an engine malfunction, just muffler ends and leaky carbs were my problems which they took care of at no cost.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:27 PM
mikeboyd

I've had three of these engines, couldn't get any of them to run well. Put an old OS carb on the first one and it solved the problem. I had one of the magnum .46 XLS, and after extensive break-in, ran stronger than my old reliable OS .46 FX. Put a Tower .46 muffler on a .46 magnum or OS and you'll get the power of the .52, with it's standard muffler. Don't recommend the magnum .52, after all the problems I had, but they are allot cheaper than OS's. I have an OS .50SX, with Tower Muffler on my U-can-do, and it rocks. The helo, hype .50 really puts on a show, but that higher nitro fuel gets pricey. A helo engine does extremely well in a cowled engine, especially when the ambient temperatures exceed 90 degrees F.

Hope this helps, was down under many years ago, and feel in love with the beautiful country and warm people.

Good Day Mate.

[email protected]
Old 04-01-2005, 03:37 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

I had a magnum 40 for a while it was a good motor, not troubles. I have a magnum 52 2 stroke I've run many gallons through on profiles, I've never had any major trouble out of it. I'd buy another one. On the other hand a friend of mine had one that didn't run worth anything, so there is obviously some carb trouble with some of these.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:51 PM
JPMacG

Update on my Magnum 46XLS

I now have about 30 flights on the engine. It will no longer shut off. I have to pinch the fuel line to kill it. Other than that it is a fine engine and virtually identical to my OS 46FX and Thunder Tiger Pro 46.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:58 PM
kojak41

I'm glad that Magnum makes engines. It seems that they account for about 50% of the posts here. Some people love'em while others hate them. Count me in the first group. I have had great luck with their FS .52 and .91. Just bought a .46 XLS to replace a very tired GMS .47. Have to see about the two stroker.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 PM
donhef

Be sure to check the o-rings in the remote needle and the inlet nipple to the carb on your 46XLS. I had bubbles in my fuel line from the remote to the carb inlet and after sealing the threads with red RTV, the problem went away and it is a very strong engine. I would buy another one. I also have 2 46FX's and a 40FX to compare it to, and I don't see any performance differences at all, just the outer finish.

Happy flying!

Don
Old 09-15-2005, 07:24 PM
busarider29

"I was getting excessive wear (indicated by black residue coming out from the muffler)."

I had the same problem recently with a Magnum .46 XLS. I pulled it apart and found aluminum particles in and around the cumbustion chamber. I thought it may be running too lean but I'm only pulling about 13500 RPM. I was running 15% nitro, 18% oil content. Other than that though, it was a reliable engine with good starting and idles. More than I can say for my GMS .47 for which I don't think I'll ever get that thing to run reliably. Anyway, I'm going to try and run the Magnum with more oil content fuel with Castor and see if I'm still getting problems with excessive wear. Funny though, I run my OS 91FX with the same fuel and it exhausts very clean.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:26 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

I have a few 4 stroke 52,70 and 91 and a 2 stroke 52...all run great never a hicup on them...I'd recommend them for price and performance...as strong as any OS in the 4 stroke category
Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Bob757FL
My Feedback: (15)

I have had 3 magnums and have learned my lesson now - you get what you pay for but get lucky sometimes. The first .91 FS was absolutely awesome for 2 years. Perfect. The second was a 1.08 2-stroke that provided a dead stick almost every flight. Ran good and then out of the blue it would stop almost every flight. Got rid of it thinking it was a fluke and bought a .91 2-stroke and it started off cantankerous and then got worse from there. Even the most experienced engine guy at our field couldn't figure out why either of these 2 engines were acting the way they were. My explanation is that they are Magnums and you never know what kind of engine you'll end up with. I have given up on it and will replace with an O.S. Good luck. Maybe you'll be lucky.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:59 PM
P-40 DRIVER

I played the lottery with Magnum and lost, my 91 four stroke is in heaven having been beaten to death by a 28oz framing hammer on my garage floor. It was replaced by a Saito, now I'm a happy guy again. see user review for details.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:12 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: low@slow

I played the lottery with Magnum and lost, my 91 four stroke is in heaven having been beaten to death by a 28oz framing hammer on my garage floor.
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

My "lottery" luck hasn't been so hot, either... I lost with a 52 four-stroke and a .46 two-stroke, but I think I'm winning with a 1.20 four-stroke....

I believe I'm done gambling though. I'd prefer to win every time with Saito. [8D] I just wish they were a little cheaper.

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 01-15-2006, 12:02 PM
P-40 DRIVER

the 120 fourstroke seems to do okay, I have not heard much bad about them, good luck and I agree about the cost of Saito's, especially the big ones.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:36 PM
JPMacG

delete
Old 05-22-2006, 08:31 PM
ghostrider168

I have a Magnum FS 120. I wanted to mount it inverted with a slimeline pitts muffler. However, Slimeline doesn’t make muffler for Magnum. They make an inverted pitts muffler for the OS 120. I understand the Magnum is a knock-off OS. Will this intended OS muffler work on my Magnum? Thanks in advance for your input. I wrote and called Slimeline but no answer. Seems like they are very busy.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:03 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the OS parts will fit on the Magnum. I have used flex pipes and a new muffler from OS on 4 different Magnum's. 52 -120 FS
Old 06-08-2006, 06:59 AM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

I have 3 Magnums all in planes I fly now. A .91FS in a GP Giles202 with a 14x6 prop 7lb (almost unlimited vert.) A brand new .91 FS in a Profile Katana with a 15x4 prop 6lb approx(unlimited vert) and A 1.08 XL 2 stroke (15x6) Unlimited vert in a 7.85lb GP Extra 300S.
The FS are great both ran out of the box with one tank for break-in and do not miss a beat. The 2 stroke has issues. There is a casting problem in the area behind the carb and I am going to put some JB Weld to plug the leak, hopefully this will solve the problem.
The FS are tough, I dumb thumbed one in from 40' and drove it 6" into the field. It broke the carb mount which I replaced all else was fine and it is in the Giles now. I flew it Tuesday and it is still getting 9K on 10% fuel which is fine by me.
These engines obviously are not Saito caliber but for the price the FS hold up favorably to compairable engines. The older 2 strokes are like tractors, they will pull the load when running well but your not gonna break any speed records with them.
Maineflyer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.