Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 72 question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:41 PM
rcu guest-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 72 question.

While looking at another Thread, I noticed that the high speed needle on a Funtana/Saito 100 sticks Up ( engine sideways ).
I am installing my 72 ( first Saito ) and my H.S. needle points Down. Can I rotate the carb like in the 100 ?
Any suggestions/advice ? Anticipated thanks. JT
Old 03-10-2004, 10:25 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Saito 72 question.

Yes you can rotate it. Just remove the two screws that hold it to the back plate and twist it. On my Funtana this makes the needle stick out the top of the cowl. A lot easier than runing a rod out the bottem.

david
Old 03-10-2004, 10:29 PM
bentgear

Two screws hold the carb body on the engine. Remove them, pull the carb back a little bit and rotate it and the pipe that comes out of it and goes into the cylinder head about 90 degrees, rotate the carb 180 degrees and then just swivel everything back into place and put the two screws back in place.

Ed M.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:55 PM
rcu guest-delete

THANKS David and Ed. JT
Old 03-11-2004, 03:05 PM
wldcwbypilot

When you do this examine the carb mounting plate often, it has a tendance to break off the crankcase backplate when turned around. Seams the servo exerts enough torgue to twist it off after time.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:47 PM
bentgear

The only way for a servo to exert enuff torgue to do any damage would be if the person setting it up did not pay any attention to the end points, otherwise, if the barrel of the carb is that hard to turn it needs replacing.

Ed M.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:09 PM
rcu guest-delete

wldcwbypilot, thanks for the advice, I`ll keep an eye on that.
From my 72 install, I can see that the carb rear end mounts very close to the mount, and I have seen 72`s installed that touch the mount or the mount to firewall screw. If the engine comes loose a bit and the carb receives that vibration against the mount I guarantee it will get damaged. Maybe that is what`s happening. I installed my engine with 6-32 screws with the mount tapped, to prevent it from moving. I left a 3/32" gap between the carb and the mount also. I can see the Saito has a very easy/loose barrel that takes little force to actuate, the micro servo will handle it no problem. JT
Old 03-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Robd

I notice on mine when I turn the carb around, the idle screw becomes totally blocked by the intake manifold. I gather that once the engine is broken in and this is set, I shouldn't need to adjust it again?
So far the 72 seems like a nice engine, but this is one area where Saito could certainly do better.
-Rob-
Old 03-13-2004, 11:14 AM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

I'm not an expert but I believe that screw is not the idle screw but a throttle stop which normally never needs to be adjusted. The idle screw is in the middle of the throttle arm.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:23 PM
bentgear

tommy, you called it right. It is the idle stop/barrel retaining screw. The idle mixture adjustment is in the center of the throttle arm.

Ed M.