Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 46 FX, no full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 06:42 PM
toyking23
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46 FX, no full throttle

I did ask this question in the manufactures forum, Anna Marie suggested sending it in. I thought I would ask others before I mailed it in. In hopes of some other suggestions.

My OS 46 FX, with new Enya 3 plug. I also tried other plugs. When it starts it dies if you give it full throttle either fast or slow, and with the glow igniter on or off. I have ran the needle out, in etc, and no change. Also if you run it at 1/3 throttle it will quit after about 30 seconds and the engine is hotter then normal. It doesn't matter if the needle is out 3 turns or 1. I have 5 OS engines, two of them are both OS 46FX. The other one is running great. But this one isn't. I inspected the sleeve and it appears to have normal up and down scratches, I don't notice any peeling. No scratch is deep enough to feel with your finger nail. They can only be seen with a magnifying glass. I have a GP Ultimate ready to fly and no motor, please help. This engine probably has had 50 flights on it and around 2 years old.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:43 PM
Mayur

have you tried the idle-mixture setting? The needle setting is not effective under 40-50% power.
richen the idle mixture & give it a shot...
Old 06-15-2002, 04:05 AM
DoubleD

Also check for an air leak around the o-ring under the carb.
If its been sitting for a while the o-ring will take a set and harden with age.

Old 06-15-2002, 02:05 PM
toyking23

Well, I tried everything, including removing the needle and carburetor form another 46 FX that runs great. It cranked up better, which proves I did have some needle settings wrong, but after about 30 seconds quit running, and the head is extremely hot. So, oh well, appears I have the peeling problem. My bearings are good, and smooth.

Thanks guys for the info, now rather to send in or buy another. If I hadn't just built a GP Ultimate, and bought a new pitts muffler, just for this motor it wouldn't be a big problem, but that's this hobby.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:52 PM
gtalbot
My Feedback: (5)

Default Me Too

I've always ran TT Pro .46s and have beed very happy with them.
This is my first OS .46FX. So far I find it a little finickier to set.

Mine too doesn't want to seem to throttle up and seems to overheat. A recently reworked my fuel line to see if I have an air leak...we'll see...
Old 06-18-2002, 09:03 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

When you run the needle all the way out, does it smoke a bunch? If not your motor is leaning out.... You might have a tank problem or some kind of restriction. Your low end needle could also be too far in. If you can't get it to richen up to the point of smoking a and spueing raw fuel, then you have a fuel delivery problem. Check your tank and your fuel lines. Also when your needle is removed from the carb, blow some compressed air through the orifice.

This sure doesn't sound like a peeling problem to me...

Good luck!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 06:50 PM
gtalbot
My Feedback: (5)

Default Smoke

Mine was getting lots of smoke and raw fuel.
I think the "tightened" fuel system will help.
I'll find out Thursday night.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:03 AM
toyking23

Well guys, I found the problem. I had changed the muffler to a new slim line pitts and the nipple to put pressure in the tank was clogged from the factory. So, it wasn't allowing the tank to pressurize. Once I drilled the clog out it ran. Of course now I have to adjust the carb, as I turned every way imaginable.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:47 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Way to go toyking!!! I love it when a difficult problem is resolved by hanging on tenaciously.....
Old 06-21-2002, 03:23 PM
toyking23

Carb is adjusting and she is running like a charm. Now, I will put her in my new GP .40 Ultimate and off into the wild blue yonder.