Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum XL-52RFS quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 08:56 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum XL-52RFS quality

I was wondering if anyone out here in engine land has experience in [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAN93&P=0]these [/link] engines. Was looking to buy one in the next few days for a Piper Cub.
Also, I tried to find online the manual for break in procedure. Anyone know what the break in procedure is? Was going to make an engine stand to break it in.

Any help would be most apppreciated.

Crash
Old 07-07-2004, 09:57 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Magnum XL-52RFS quality

Well, there is a on line Manual for the 61RFS which has been discontinued. The engines are identical except for the bore of the cylinder. It's in PDF you will need Acrobat.

http://media.hobbypeople.net/manual/210985.pdf

I have two 61's among other sizes and they are just fine. The 61 has been replaced by the 70 which is in the 80/91 frame. The 52 is alive and well.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 07-07-2004, 10:24 AM
johncdh

You can go here http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/210985.asp to see the manual for a 61RFS, I did not see the 52RFS manual listed but the break in procedure would be the same. I have a 61RFS (my first four stroke) and I love it. The engine runs great, starts easy and turns a 13-4W at 9800 RPM. I would recommend that you check the valve adjustment and cam timing before running the engine though, After my break in I discovered that my cam was 1 tooth off from the factory. I don't think it is something that happens allot but I will always check from now on no matter what brand I get next (another Magnum no doubt)
Old 07-07-2004, 10:42 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Magnum 52 RFS. I love it! Turns an APC 11x7 prop at about 9200rpm. Very good running motor, and easy to tune. I used it in a Kyosho Super Stearman for quite a while, and just put it in old G/P Big Stick ARF this past weekend. Real good knock around combination.
I just made a trade for a second one and will be putting the pair in a Jack Stafford Twin Commanche, or a Wing Mfg. A-26 soon, still not sure which one first.
Probably a 12x6 0r 5 prop would be good on your Cub.
The manual recommends a 12x5 prop for break-in. Say's to start at full throttle "sloppy rich" for 2-3 min. Stop and let it cool. Lean slightly, run for a few min and let cool. Repeat this process while leaning slightly with each run & cool cycle. After 30 min, it will be ready to fly. You should fly it as rich as possible, and continue to lean a little each flight for about ten flights or until it will run at normal needle settings.
This is from the manual I have for mine. Also specifically say's "do not" use all synthetic oil to break -in. Needs castor in the fuel for break-in. I always use a castor blend in my engines.
Get one, you will like it.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:39 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Good stuff!

Thanks everyone! Now just gotta scrounge up enough quarters from under the couch cushions to buy one [&o]
Old 12-14-2004, 08:57 PM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

I am not trying to flame anyone, but I think that the magnum engine is crap. I have one on a kyosho cub and it runs like dirt. If I were you I would buy an O.S for a little more money. You wont be sorry!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:43 AM
Pilotsmoe

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Well, there is a on line Manual for the 61RFS which has been discontinued. The engines are identical except for the bore of the cylinder. It's in PDF you will need Acrobat.

http://media.hobbypeople.net/manual/210985.pdf

I have two 61's among other sizes and they are just fine. The 61 has been replaced by the 70 which is in the 80/91 frame. The 52 is alive and well.

Enjoy,

Jim
I don't think global can make up it's mind. They have them in stock again. Also, I kinda think it's retarded to make a .70 in the .91's case. They should make it in the .52 case. Give saito a run for it's money[8D]