Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

running engine upsidedown.

Old 10-14-2004, 05:37 AM
still burnin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running engine upsidedown.

I have put together a Great Plane Extra 300 (40). I took it up for the first time the other day and it flies great. I took the engine off another plane, with the engine upright it starts great and runs well in the air. With the engine now upsidedown it starts hard (flip starting) and poorly w.o.t.. What can I do to make it run and start better.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:00 AM
tIANci

Default RE: running engine upsidedown.

That is what happens with inverted engines, for flip start you have problems getting the fuel into the carb, I had the same problem. It happens for me mainly on the first flight. Easy way is to flip the plane upside down and start her.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:26 PM
smokingcrater

move the fuel tank, either up or down. inverted should run just as well as upright.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:42 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

I bet if you adjust the low end needle leaner,then readjust the high end one it will cure your problems.You did not say what motor you have but my Saito 91 is invert mounted in a U-Can Do 46 with the tank much higher then the 91.I took the L end down almost two turns and she purrs like a kitten.Also I looped the fuel feed above the motor to help with fuel gravity feeding to the 91.Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:51 PM
still burnin

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try and see what happens. I just had a little girl so not much free time right now, but someday I will teach her how to fly!