Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

straightening bent crank tips

Old 11-05-2004, 11:41 PM
tinman 4009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straightening bent crank tips

ok .......... i pulled when i should have pushed. my thundertiger46 hit the runway and bent the crank on the threaded part. i need suggestions on how to straighten it without damaging the threads. thought about a vise with wood on the jaws . it just squished the wood. its no loss to try to fix it its already broke !! guess i needed to push
Old 11-05-2004, 11:46 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: straightening bent crank tips

Tin:

Get three or four nuts that will thread on the crank, they will support the threaded part in the vise. Clamp on the nuts and you'll find straightening the crank isn't hard at all.

Bill.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:50 PM
tinman 4009

hmm ........[:-][sm=lol.gif] squeeze nuts in a vise? ok if you say so ..... thanks for the tip mr robison
Old 11-07-2004, 11:17 AM
ChuckN

You don't have to squeeze the snot out of 'em
A couple of nuts on the threaded part is what I use, except I have access to a lathe and a dial indicator, which helps immensely at getting the crank back in line. Your TT46 should be pretty easy to straighten as the alloy the crank is made from is fairly malleable. Not like Italian cranks, which seem to be some sort of chrome-moly. Chrome-moly is very springy. You have to bend it a lot farther than you would think because it springs back quite a bit.