Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

K&B SCREAMING .48

Old 12-09-2004, 08:21 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&B SCREAMING .48

just got done reading the review in an old issue of rcm. tried a forum search and found nothing. anybody run one of these? looked as if it ran pretty good- also made in the USA.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:39 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&B SCREAMING .48

There are a couple of guys in our club with them. I don't think they're quite as powerful as claimed, but still, they're good running engines.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

They were popular around 1998 or so. Way to much "hype" They were over rated and nothing of any value. As I recall, K& B gave it a gold colored head. Simple TT46pro was just as powerful
Old 12-09-2004, 09:19 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are not normally a very cost effective alternative. Check the price. They've been around a few years and are not real common. They are nice engine though.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 12-10-2004, 08:26 AM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Unlike some of the former respondents I own some. TT.46, .46FX, Rossi .45 and Tower .46 don't hold a candle, I have those too. According to RC Review and RCM they are definitely screamers. They out powered all the then current .45-.50 sport engines.
The only two engines in that size class that they tested that it didn't beat hands down were the YS45 and the Webra speed .50 with a performance muffler. I feel it has more power than my Speed .50s with the same type mufflers. I have not talked to anyone who owned one that was not impressed. I keep abreast of test reports of more recent offerings and have not seen one that beat it since.

The down side of these engines is their size and weight. The K&B .61 twist spins a larger prop at usable speed and weighs about the same. The Webra is much smaller and lighter with almost the same power.

K&B has fallen from favor in the modeling community. We are deluged with test reports of Chinese engines. There are many pages of glossy ads in every model magazine I pick up. The Tower/Top Flight/Hobbico/Great planes/Dynaflight/Futaba Conglomerate Push their own versions. All the while I can buy a K&B .61 that out performs all those .60 size engines for as little money. My K&B .40 ABC (model 4050) out performs all the other .40s I own as well as many .45s. With the small volume of sales generated and the downsized new facility K&B must have to choose between advertising or raising prices.
It has been several years now since The model 4050, Screamin .48 and the .61 twist arrived. All were standoout performers and yet are all but ignored. Why should they come out with new offerings? Much of the market is rejecting them without even trying one.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Cyclic Hardover

All the more reason for the Markets to wake up and realize the power modelers have to pro or con any specific area of model aviation. Supply specifc type of engines instead of a line up of GMS or Irvine engines. There is already a supply of basic engines, why build more of them.

The reviews of these engines in my opinion does not do them justice either. They review them in some sport plane. So what, you have a hundred engines that can do the same thing. It's like testing out a Ford, Chevy and Dodge for speed but they are all going on 50 mph, That trells you nothing!

Put the Webra 50GT, OS 50SX, G50, GMS, Tower, YS.45 Jett 50 and the rest of them up against each other in a prop jet healthy test and see how they fair out, not "tooling" around up in the air wasting space.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:31 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I agree with Mike Sell. I had three of them, awesome power. But, they were heavy. Since K&B sold out, I don't know if the current variety is still the same or not.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:37 AM
MikeSell

From what I've seen the K&B .48 with an ultrathrust will out perform all the above engines except the Jet with possible exception of the YS depending on the tuned pipe. It was said earlier that it was not competetively priced. Check the price of these competetors.
If we were to compare Sport .40s the 4050 out performs all the Chinese engines in speed but against racing designs we should compare performance and pricing of the K&B 6.5 (.40).
My point is just that Fox .60s were compared in a shootout (MAN) and were most powerful .60 tested. I pulled out the K&B Twist report and it out performed all the others too. Both american manufacturers provide performance and parts support at competetive prices and are shunned by the modeling public. If we support our other domestic industries as well, we can expect the unemployment lines to get real long. I hope that my children find employment here and don't have to move to another country to find work.
We all like to get good quality at a good price. There are good manufacturers around the world that work hard to earn their customers. I think that sometimes we ignore our own without counting the cost.

Remember its just my opinion.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:54 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Ah-ite Mikey! Well said sir. I like all my K&B inventory - .40, .48 and various .61 models including the twister and pumpers. Buy American!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:27 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: vinnie
I like all my K&B inventory - .40, .48 and various .61 models including the twister and pumpers.
Me too, I've got 3 3.5s (2 outboard and one aero) and one .61 twister.
Buy American!
It is kind of sad that we Americans are so good at saying bad things about even our good companies and sending our money abroad. There's nothing wrong with buying products from other countries, I've got Saito, OPS, OS, Webra, Thunder Tiger, and a couple Chinese brand engines too, but if there's a good domestic choice it seems we would want to support them.

The .61 Twister is a great deal. Mine's going in the GP F-15 I hope to build soon, unless I get a Patriot kit or Santa brings me an ARF biplane first.

Edit: forgot to include Super Tiger in the engine list.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:57 PM
RTK

Mine always runs good and strong. I always buy domestic if possible.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:19 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Guys, what's the exhaust bolt spacing on the .48? I'm wondering if I already have an Ultrathrust for one? The more I read here, and think about it makes me think I'll get one to try out! I too have a bunch of K&B's but they're all older 8011 .40's and mid 70's .61's and I really would prefer to "Buy American" when possible.

While I'm here, does anybody know where I might find a connecting rod for an SRII 6.5 pylon K&B .40? (Series 75)
I got one disassembled in a box, only the rod is missing...
Old 12-11-2004, 02:12 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Well- I have (2) K&B-48's and they DO scream... Mine was used in a 3D/Aerobatic application and was VERY similar to both my Irvine-53 and OS-50SX performance-wise The search function does not work properly for "K&B", not sure why...

I have had every engine mentioned so far I think, and I would put the 48 in the same category as all the others except the Jett-50 and YS-45 if on a MAC's pipe--- it is a little heavier but if weight was the biggest factor we would all run Webra-50's or Fox-50's

*****en lookin' also--

Buy american if possible!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:37 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Here is where to get them, for those interested;

http://www.mecoa.com/
Old 12-14-2004, 01:24 AM
DaveR
My Feedback: (7)

The problem with K&B isn't so much the engines, it's the manufacturer(MECOA). I think Randy is spending too much time with too many engine lines. Honestly, how many Forsters do people buy? How many HB or HP, or whatever they are, do people buy? Simply put, MECOA has little real product to sell. He can't keep up with just a handful of orders, that's why all the BIGS dumped K&B. If he would concentrate on K&B, bring back most of the engine line, and actually spend time making engines with some QC, K&B could be something again. But awhile back, I wanted a Twist 61, but after taking off the backplate of one, no thank you.....found what looked like grinding compound in the crankcase. I don't care what the brand is, but parts should be washed prior to assembly, it reflects badly on the maker. I would have needed to completely disassemble it before run-in, oops, wouldn't have been able to because first I would have needed to spend another wad on a wrench for the head. I'm not real fond of K&B carbs either, they should be updated and get rid of the low speed disk thingy, use a proper low speed needle. And bring back the good motors, like the aforementioned 4050 and the Conquest 15. I know of several guys always on the lookout for that jewel. Ughhh!! Very frustrating as Johnny Brodbeck came out with some neat new motors before selling out.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:15 AM
MikeSell

I agree that the smaller capacity and unfamiliarity does impede things. The grinding grit or chips have been found in engines by many popular makers, which is no excuse. The carb however is based on the perry design. That design is one of the best carbs you can get. The K/B block carb deserved some criticism but that is long gone as is the irvine that fell apart.
The head does require a spanner for removal. The head design was unpopular although more functional than the conventional head.
I think the reason K&B decided to close was the apathy of the modeling public. I think Randy was trying to save the old reputation and parts rather than go into full engine production.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:50 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: MikeSell
The head does require a spanner for removal. The head design was unpopular although more functional than the conventional head.
I bought a twister recently, it comes with the head spanner.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:40 PM
William Robison

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, folks, I love my K&B engines. I probably have more 40s alone than many people have engines total. And I have almost as many 61s here. All my "Modern" K&B engines are ringed, my newest lapped piston K&B was bought new in 1961.

The airplanes seem to fall apart after 12-15 years (if I don't crash them first) but the engines just keep running.

Randy at MECoA will supply parts, he even made two left hand cranks to fit the 40s for me. Took a while, but he came through.

The ringed 40 and 61 engines aren't screamers, but you can not ask for a better sport engine.

To use the search function for K&B you have to enter "K AND B" with "Advanced" search, the ampersand (&) doesn't work.

Bill.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of rpm does the .61 twister turn with different props? what is the weight with muffler?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:43 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

I had one of the first 48s and tested it for Excalibur Fuels & K&B. It was on a Tower Hobbies Uproar that I had built for the testing and I used Excalibur 10% fuel and a Tornado 10 x 6 three bladed prop during the testing. It ran at 14,400 rpms and had boogo power! The factory glow plug burned out after 23 flights (average of 12 minutes each) and the engine was sent back to K&B for evaluation after 6 gallons of fuel had been run through it. They reported that the inside of the engine looked the same as when new. BTW, the Uproar was a BLAST to fly with this engine!!! Since then, I have had a few more K&B 48s and they live up to their name of Screamin' 48!!!

The only downside to these engines is getting them fired up for the first time. They are so tight at compression, that it is hard to get them turned over to start. But, once they are fired up & broken in...hold on!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM
AJsToyz

Old post but still going to ad to it. I have a .48 and A friends OS 50 SX can't catch it. The plane is just way to fast.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Aurora_60

Oh My.....[X(]
I just checked out the specs on the 48. 2.0hp, 15,000rpm and the say it can handle an 11/7 ??
As I said, OH MY!!!
I have got to get one. I was planning on a Jett. But at $400 for the engine, I'm going to give this K&B a go. Before you start typing a response about the Jett, I know that engine is in a different class than the K&B. But I'm not planning on racing or competing at all. So I think that "screaming 48" should fit the bill, and leave some in my wallet to boot.

As for Mecoa, I am glad that someone is taking time out to save these older lines. I have an OS Hanno that I'm fearful of flying cause of the reputation it has on peeling the nickel off the liner. No more parts for that engine [&o]. Unless someone out there has a set they would pert with....

DM
Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are people who will rechrome a peeled liner for you.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM
AJsToyz

I'm running a Master airscrew 11x7 simitar on Omega 15% , this combo really seems to make the plane come alive.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
bigedmustafa

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...?engine_id=579

To me, the most revealing fact about the K&B Screamin' .48 is found by reading the user reviews here at RCU. Only one poster didn't give the engine 5 out of 5 stars, and he gave the engine 4 out of 5 stars. Why? Because he owned six of them and he didn't like the carburators on a couple of them.

MECOA will give up to $30 off the regular price of $129.99 for trading in for an old engine. At $129.99, it's not an outrageously priced engine to begin with.

I personally wouldn't mind finding an excuse to try one of these.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.