Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What are you using for a fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 05:10 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What are you using for a fuel tank?

I have a YS.45FS and it sure pumps up that tank, the one I had leaked out the screw on cap for the fuel connection. Went to a different one now, need to test it.

Just wondering what works best. Also, what plug and fuel % is best in these?
Old 12-19-2001, 06:32 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YS Engines

John

YS Engines like 20%nitro/20% synthetic oil for sport use...

OS #8 plug or a Enya #3 plug works well.

Use a fuel tank that is of the seamless variety, so as to prevent a rupture. Sullivan offers these as well as others...

Tettra available from Central Hobbies offer's a tank inteneded for pressurized systems.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:58 PM
JohnVH

OK, thanks
Old 12-19-2001, 10:35 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Quality

I use Sullivan's because all their other products are of high quality. When I'm building a project I change most of the hardware, control rods and wheels to Sullivan.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:49 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS tanks

Some people recommend wrapping the tank with strapping tape to keep it from swelling under pressure.

And while the four stroke YS engines run well on 20/20, it might be a little high on nitro for a 45 2 stroke, especially if you are gonna run a pipe..are you gonna run a pipe?? If so you will need a cold plug for 20% nitro, IMHO.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:43 PM
djlyon

I wrap the tank in strapping tape. I have a pipe on mine and run anything from 5% to 15% and use an OS#8 plug. This engine on a pipe with 15% can be/is hard on plugs. I can't recall seeing any difference in performance between the 5 and 15% fuel with a 10/9 APC prop.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:56 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Tettra tank that is available from Central, like Michael said. I have used it for almost a year on my YS 91 with no leakage at all. Sometimes I forget to release the pressure when done flying and I get a nice fuel bath when I open the vent the next day. Good luck.

Bob
Old 12-20-2001, 01:28 AM
JohnVH

Yes, it is a two stroke, I have been running just a cheap fox long in it, and some 15%x20% byrons in it. Looking to see what others had.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2001, 12:37 AM
Snaggs

Default Fuel Tank...

John,

I have the YS-63 FS and I'm using a Sullivan tank as well. I wrapped it with clear packing tape since I've heard of them splitting. I run the Wildcat 4 fuel. The label says YS 20/20 on it.

I've hear excellent things about the Wildcat fuel. I've run it in there since the engine was new and I've had no problems with it.

Sideshow: I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to hose the place down by pulling the wrong line and from the pressure in the tank!

I have mine in a Ultimate and have the fill and pressure lines come out the bottom of the cowl. One is longer than the other so I can remember which one is which. I figured it'd be easier to remember if I related the tube lengths to the tubes in the tank. In the tank, the pressure is up top and the pick-up/klunk line is on the bottom. I made the pick-up line hang down lower, thinking it's lower in the tank. I still grab the wrong one by not paying attention, but I always have a way to figure how which line is which.

-Snaggs
Old 12-22-2001, 03:57 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this: Use two colors. I use pink (p) for pressure and blue for the fill. But when I forget to depressurize at the field....fuel all over the place.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:26 AM
JohnVH

Thats a good idea, I too shot fuel everywhere the first time, I was impressed, to empty the tank I just hook it to the fuel on the plane and it shoots the fuel out all on its own
Old 12-24-2001, 10:32 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Default Fuel Tanks........

To Everyone,

depending on the airplane-Jet or prop-I sometimes use soda bottles and regular r/c hobby tanks-have used everything from shampoo bottles to spray cans-btw-did you know that a sprite soda bottle makes a very good air tank for air powered retracts ?

Jackjet
Old 01-04-2002, 11:58 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fuel Tanks

I have used every brand mentioned here so far and they all work. However, I have found that the best tanks, by far, are the Hayes tanks. These were previously marketed as Kraft tanks. I have never had one of these fail or leak a drop, even when used with a pressurized Y.S. system.

In the ducted fan jet world, many wrap their tanks with carbon fiber cord and hold it in place with CA to prevent bulging.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:36 AM
RCRC
My Feedback: (56)

Default AIR TANKS?

A lot of good ideas here. And pop bottles do make good fuel tanks.

But - I have seen pop bottles used for retract air tanks explode BIG time! And I mean total destruction of the airframe of giant scale aircraft!

Just ask some of the TOC fellows that found this out the hard way a few years back!
Old 01-05-2002, 04:01 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: AIR TANKS?

Originally posted by RCRC
A lot of good ideas here. And pop bottles do make good fuel tanks.

But - I have seen pop bottles used for retract air tanks explode BIG time! And I mean total destruction of the airframe of giant scale aircraft!

Just ask some of the TOC fellows that found this out the hard way a few years back!

Hi RCRC,

I have'nt have one explode on me yet-I put 280psi in a sprite plastic bottle and it blew the lid off-but for normal use- I use 125psi and that seems to work just fine for me.Plus I can cycle the gear 15 times on just 1 air charge.

Jackjet