Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito or YS engines.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito or YS engines.

I have witnessed four different Saito bearing failures in mid flight at my field: .91, 1.00, 1.50, and 1.80.

I guess I'm a very lucky guy because I have nine YS four strokes, and so far zero problem. One of my YS 1.10's has over 250 flights on it at 12 minutes per flight (50+ hours). This one is even involved in two different mid airs but still runs like a champ. The rest of my YS purr like kittens. I do have a Saito 100 and Saito 150.

If you are not happy with your YS, put it up in RCU MarketPlace. You will get a good price for it. Some competent YS engine operator will pick it up and make it purr like a kitten in no time. I have yet to fail making a used YS run like a top, usually from undoing someone else's mistakes.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have 12 Saitos and 3 YSs, no problems with either.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:18 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Cheap shot, Richard L. Would you consider Dave Shadel competent????

He couldn't make my 91 FZ run right either.

I'm not championing Saito, or any firm for that matter. But look how many "Help me with my YS!" threads there are compared to other brands.

I guess we're all incompetent, eh?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Red Baron Mike
My Feedback: (287)

To Steve Campbell:

I am in agreement with your comments. This is why I made my initial statement calling them
"YS Purists". They are so use to "fiddling" with their engines, they don't realize they are even doing it. They also think anyone else who feel it is a waste of time are somehow incompetent
and that "we couldn't find our backsides with ten hands".

Frankly I couldn't care less about any of them. The original post asked for membership opinion on YS vs Saito and I gave my opinion and first hand experience with both engines. The YS loyalists gave their opinion also. Isn't this what the originator of this thread wanted? Is it necessary to imply those of us who aren't fans of YS engines are somehow "lacking" intelligence? I certainly didn't call YS fans "masochists" (although I think some of them are). Look throughout these forums regarding anything to do with YS engines. these guys are all the same...devotion "'til dead do us part". They are like the jilted lover, making excuse after excuse why they got dumped on.

Regards,
Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Red Baron Mike

To Wildnloose: As regards the Saito bearings, I have had two of my several Saitos leak through the front bearing seal. You can put a hose on the breather nipple and blow, If air escapes out the front bearing the seal is bad. Both engines were new and the bearing was replaced under warranty. Yesterday a fellow club member with a near new Saito 1.80 indicated
a possible front bearing problem. We blew through the engine and sure enough, the bearing seal failed. I don't know why they failed but after they were replaced, I never had another
problem.

As I understand, when the front bearing seal goes, the engines cannot develop any internal crankcase pressure, which is necessary to circulate fuel/oil to all parts of the engine for lubrication purposes. Parts then fail due to lack of lubrication and thebearings are one of the items that fail.

Regards,
Old 01-19-2005, 03:22 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

RBM,
Thanks for the info. I will pass it along to my club members.....hopefully it will save some misery. I wonder why Saito don't recognize the problem and up the quality a little (I can't imagine bearings costing that much). As for me, I never thought it was a problem. I have a West 50 (Webra) that snots the like it has a cold (by design), but when you hear it run....well....you just know better
Old 01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All:

The Saitos actually oil a little better with some leakage through the front bearing. This allows more flow to the cam area.

The newer Saito engines have the crank case vent moved to the front just to increase the cam oiling.

Bill.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:17 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned several Saitos and YS's:

Saito 72
Saito 82
Saito 91
Saito 100
Saito 180
YS 110 FZ
YS 120 NC
YS 140 DZ

I have found myself spending more time adjusting Saitos than YS. I think this is because most Saitos come w/ the idle adjustment screws way rich, and don't idle very well too slow during the 1st gallon. Once they are set, both are equally trouble-free.

YS 120 NC and 140 DZ are such sweet gems that defy all the YS urban myths of tweakiness. My YS 110 FZ did require some tweaking to get the idle right during the 1st gallon though.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:32 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

delete
Old 01-20-2005, 12:13 AM
edgeguy
My Feedback: (16)

Between me and a good friend we have 2 YS 120FZ, 1 YS 140sport, 1 YS 140DZ, 3 YS 110, 1 YS 63FZ, 1 YS 63S and 2 YS 91FZ engines all have run flawless right out of the box. Every one of these engines had 1 tank of fuel run through them for break in and then flown every since. Not 1 of these engines has had a dead stick. They are a little more money than a Saito but in my opinion you get what you pay for. The throttle response on a YS is almost instant . The Saito's are a real dog in the throttle response department. Also you have got to love the sound of a YS. Watch the video's that Richard L has and listen to the YS. You will never hear a sweeter sound than that. In my opinion a Saito sounds like a sick dog. Saito's sound the same weather they are turning 3000rpm or 10000 rpm. They just sound like they are struggling all the time to me.

One of my YS 120 Fz engines has about 20 gallons of fuel run through it and I never touch the needles except for really cold days or really hot days the high speed gets a little tweek but that is it. Some of these engines are 4 or 5 years old and have never had a gasket replaced or a check valve or a diaphragm.

I tried Saito's and did not like the endless break in period and the lack of power. I then tried a YS and the rest is history.

In my opinion if you don't like YS you need medical treatment. LOL
Old 01-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: edgeguy

Also you have got to love the sound of a YS. Watch the video's that Richard L has and listen to the YS. You will never hear a sweeter sound than that. In my opinion a Saito sounds like a sick dog.
Thanks. In terms of power and sound, nothing can touch a YS. Here are the videos:

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/dymond_f8f/high_speed_pass.wmv]Bearcat High Speed Pass[/link] - YS 63S
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/dymond_f8f/low_pass_2.wmv]Bearcat Low Pass[/link] - YS 63S

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/gsp_spit_show_pass.mpg]Spit Show Pass[/link] - YS 91FZ at full throttle
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/gsp_spit_figure_8.mpg]Spit Figure 8[/link] - YS 91FZ at half throttle

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/h9_corsair/movies/HighSpeedPass02.mpg]Corsair High Speed Pass[/link] - YS 110FZ
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/h9_corsair/movies/HighSpeedPass03.mpg]Corsair High Speed Pass[/link] - YS 110FZ

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/slow_pass.wmv]P-40 Slow Pass[/link] - YS 110FZ at 1/3 throttle
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/sunset_pass.wmv]P-40 Sunset Pass[/link] - YS 110FZ at half throttle
* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/high_speed_pass.wmv]P-40 High Speed Pass[/link] - YS 110FZ at full throttle

I don't see any sign of engine problem in these videos.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Red Baron Mike

To Klotz, Edgeguy and Richard L: Look very carefully so you can see me standing up and clapping for all of you! All of us at RC Universe are highly impressed with your successes...
CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 01-20-2005, 06:30 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Edge, a Saito is ready and raring to go after about 40 minutes max. That's nowhere near endless. I've run in 12 of my own and several for friends.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I have 2 - .63's and a 1.40FZ, I also have several OS & Saito 4 - strokes. Running & maintaining the YS's has just about driven me crazy, the others just start & run & run & run. Powerwise Saito & OS cannot match the YS, but the YS's are just a real pain in the _ _ _ . I know some people swear by them, but they are not for me, I want to fly, not rebuild / tinker.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Red Baron Mike

Don,

Well said. I am in full agreement with you.

Regards,
Old 01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
William Robison

All:

Contrary to some statements here, I have never had any trouble tuning and running ANY YS engine. Every one I've bothered with has dialed in with no particular effort, and run fine.

I just feel completely happy with the Saito engines, good compromise between complexity and power, weight and expense.

Bill.

PS: I've not yet had my first YS engine. Maybe when I do bother with one the first paragraph will no longer be true. Haw. wr.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Red Baron Mike

Bill,

Thanks for your humor. Isn't amazing how these YS "purist" defend their engines to the point of denigrating anyone who disagrees with them. You'd think you were calling their kids "ugly".

Regards,
Old 01-20-2005, 05:26 PM
William Robison

Mike:

We can not dismiss the possibility their kids ARE ugly.

Haw again.

Bill.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Red Baron Mike

Bill,

You get a thumbs up for that one!

Best Regards,
Old 01-20-2005, 10:26 PM
edgeguy
My Feedback: (16)

Red baron Mike, I don't think anyone was denigrating anyone else here at all. If you are refering to my comment of " In my opinion if you don't like YS you need medical treatment" did you notice the LOL at the end of it. That was a joke meant all in good humor. I think everyone deserves to like any brand they want Saito, YS OS whatever. Whatever you have good luck with keep using it by all means. Just because someone likes YS and voices their opinion and have good luck with them doesn;t mean they are deningrating someone else.

The person who started this thread wanted to hear other peoples opinion about YS engines and he got some. so what's the big deal. You and Bill had to bring up the ugly kids thing. Pretty classy of you two I must add.

Hobbsy, 40 minutes seems endless to me when 5 minutes on a YS is good to go.

I am done posting on this thread. This has turned into another Ford vs Chevy make the other guy mad thread.

Later all. Good flying!! Bob.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Closing out my part of this thread since I was one of the ones that got it going... I purchased a used YS91 that I am going to mount on my Extra to "try out". If it runs perfect then great, and if it doesn't then I'll experience first-hand what it takes to make a YS run right (a worthwhile exercise.)

Walt
Old 01-20-2005, 11:17 PM
William Robison

Bob:

Chill out, sir. Just tryiing to keep it light. If I offended you, I'm sorry. That was not the intent.

Bill.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Red Baron Mike

To Klotz, Edgeguy and Richard L: Look very carefully so you can see me standing up and clapping for all of you! All of us at RC Universe are highly impressed with your successes...
CONGRATULATIONS!
What is this all about ?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-21-2005, 02:23 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

For what it's worth, I've been in this hobby for around five years now. During this time, I've seen about half a dozen YS four strokes in different models. Two of these owners were guys who got Steve Campbell interested in R/C planes. So, these guys I'm talking about have been in the hobby since they were just kids (they're in their 30's now). There are years of experience operating these engines, so they know what they're doing. Anyway, there's absolutely no YS owners in this immediate R/C community now. Why? Nobody could get them to run reliably for any length of time, that's why.

Everyone here that runs four strokes now run either Saito, OS, or Magnum. There are a few Enyas here and there. I have to agree that YS engines are strong, when they're running right, stronger than any other as far as I'm concerned. But, what good is that when you go to the field to fly, and not tinker.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:04 PM
FlyHard

Would you like to sell them ? at a good price considering their problems
ORIGINAL: Don M.

I have 2 - .63's and a 1.40FZ, I also have several OS & Saito 4 - strokes. Running & maintaining the YS's has just about driven me crazy, the others just start & run & run & run. Powerwise Saito & OS cannot match the YS, but the YS's are just a real pain in the _ _ _ . I know some people swear by them, but they are not for me, I want to fly, not rebuild / tinker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.