Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

MPI Onboard Glow Driver

Old 04-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MPI Onboard Glow Driver

Watch out for these!

Actually, it seems like a good unit, but the instructions are wack! I installed the unit in accordance with the instructions, and it wouldn't work. I double and triple checked my solder joints, the battery, the glowplug; and referenced the instructions/wiring diagram maybe five times-- no joy.

I'm gonna tell you how it turned out, just so y'all are aware. Basically, the switch was working fine, everything was hooked up in accordance with the schematic, but the plug was getting reverse polarity! Click the link to get a look at the wiring diagram, top of page 5, and then read on.

http://www.maxxprod.com/pdf/mx-9900instructionsheet.pdf

The diagram that comes with the instructions clearly calls for the black wire from the controller to be connected to the negative side of the battery, and then shows the black wire going from the battery's positive terminal and connecting to the crankcase of the motor. This is just wrong, because the glowplug needs to be hooked up to the positive side (all plug ignitors are + in the center).

What I did was connect the switch's black wire to the batt's neg terminal, then connected the positive/red (glowplug) wire to the batt's positive terminal. The circuit was completed by connecting the switch's red wire to the crankcase. This seemed to make sense, circuit-wise. Now it works as it should! Nice, bright plug, on demand. With the mix set up on my 9C, the throttle controls the glow, and a separate switch turns the mix off and on.

One more beef and then I'm done. The charger that they supply is a standard plug clip charger, like for a hot shot or whatever-- but you have to cut off the charge head, solder on a female charge lead (like the one for your receiver), and there are no markings whatsoever on the charger or the wires to tell you which is positive and which is negative!! [:@] If you don't already own a multimeter, you will when you're done with this install.

I will say this- now that its working, it seems solid, with no radio glitches. Good hardware too, but would it kill them to include a charger that already had the proper connector?

Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 PM
jtsails
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MPI Onboard Glow Driver

I wouldn't think that a glow plug would care which way the polarity was. You have hooked it up the same way as the instructions except that you reversed the battery polarity. The question I have is when you use this on a twin and split the lead to the glow plugs, you only get half the voltage to each glow plug. Therefore should I use two batteries?
james