Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Polishing the engine head?

Old 01-01-2002, 06:33 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing the engine head?

I'm replacing the bearings in my TT Pro 46. When I took the engine apart there was a bunch of build-up on the head and top of the piston (carbon?).
I cleaned all that stuff of, basically polishing the head.

What have I gained/lost by doing this?

Thanks, Tim
Old 01-01-2002, 10:09 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Probably nothing as long as what you removed was carbon residue and no metal.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:41 AM
downunder-RCU

Default lost and gained

What you've lost is a bit of carbon
What you've gained is possibly the tiniest bit more power (may not be noticeable though). The polished head will tend to reflect the combustion heat keeping it where it belongs meaning the head temp will be a bit lower but once again maybe not by any noticeable degree (hmmm...that's a pun )
Old 01-02-2002, 01:42 AM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the info!

Tim
Old 01-03-2002, 09:08 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Polishing the engine head

You would never have any carbon buildup or any need to polish the head if you use fuel with 100% synthetic oil. There is no need whatsoever for any castor in your fuel with today's synthetics. At one time there was a wide gap in the flashpoint of the two types of oil with castor being much higher. That gap has now closed to the point that it is so small now as to be of no concern. You will always hear from guys who absolutely insist that there must be castor oil and some will probably chime in and dispute this information in this thread but I can assure you, with 15 years of experience using nothing but 100% synthetic oil fuels in every type of engine from sport .40s to racing .40s and .65s, .76s, and .91s, that your engines will always be clean and will perform better with 100% synthetic. The type of oil that is in your fuel does not burn up an engine, as many would have you believe. Continuing to fly with an overly lean fuel mixture will burn up the engine, castor or not. Of course, if nasty, dirty engines don't bother you, by all means use castor. One of the most common all synthetic fuels is Cool Power but I am sure other fuel manufacturers have their own all synthetic fuel.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:03 AM
Cuda

Removing the carbon may lower the compression slightly, you dont gain much IMO,castor oil will help preverve your bearings so running a little in your fuel is fine,just leave the carbon, its a normal byproduct of combustion..
Cuda