Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Iron Bay fuel regulator

Old 06-14-2005, 08:20 PM
stupidaso
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron Bay fuel regulator

Can someone help me find an Iron Bay fuel regulator? I can't get on their website, and I have tried several times. Are they still making them? Are they as good as the Cline?

Thank you for your help.
Stu Pidaso
Old 06-14-2005, 09:18 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Iron Bay fuel regulator

(304) 232-7511 USA Site must be down? I cannot get it either.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:39 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I would also like to hear from someone that has used both. I have used the Cline with great results. A friend lent me his IronBay and I still have to install it in my Moki 1.80 powered CAP232 25%. Right now it has a Perry pump with tank on the CG and I have not been able to get it to run perfectly like the Cline.

ORIGINAL: stupidaso

Can someone help me find an Iron Bay fuel regulator? I can't get on their website, and I have tried several times. Are they still making them? Are they as good as the Cline?

Thank you for your help.
Stu Pidaso
Old 06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
More HP
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Stu, I've been looking to get the Iron Bay regulator for a couple of weeks myself, finally just ended up calling Cline for their regulator, and glad I did!! It was a little bit more, but it was shipped quickly from Ohio to the left coast, and has worked flawlessly... I wouldn't give it up for anything, not no way, not no how!

Matt
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I have used them both and currently have an Iron Bay regular on an Enya 120. They both work fine and, other than the construction, I could tell no difference. Mounted them both as close to the carb as I could. My LHS carries both brands and from what I have heard the major diff that others mention is the price (Iron Bay being the cheaper of the two).

That being said, there is another thread running on Iron Bay - the company - and what is being reported there is that they are currently engaged in "contract work" and the model side is being allowed to "slide". Go figure.

Dan
Old 06-16-2005, 09:41 PM
stupidaso
My Feedback: (14)

Thank you to everyone for all of the input. I have a line on a couple of regulators from an individual, so I'll see how they work.

Thanks again!
Stu
Old 06-16-2005, 10:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you look Iron Bay up on Google, the contract type work is what comes up.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 06-16-2005, 10:48 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Nothing against IronBay but anytime I need help from Jim Cline, he's right there with a wealth of knowledge. It's better to just look his number up on his site and call him. Very helpful guy. We do disagree on a few things. One is that he says that the elbows on his regulator require no glue. I glue mine now. You have to be sure to not to get glue in the regulator which is why he probably doesn't recommend it to people. Just dab a little thin CA on the base of the nipple with an exacto knife, push the elbow on. Then wick a little around the base after it's on.

I have an Ironbay that a friend lent me that I haven't mounted yet. One thing I don't like is that the nipples come out the side and do not have 90 degree elbows like the Cline. That makes it hard to fit in small cowling areas. Also the inlet nipple is huge, even bigger than 1/8 inch tubing. I think it's bigger than even 5/32. Not sure how to use medium fuel tubing and get it onto that huge of a nipple. Anyone?
Old 06-25-2005, 12:37 AM
roadking429

sorry to jump in..but i cant seem to get my iron bay to supply enough fuel for some reason. also, the instructions are not clear on the installation on engines with remote needle valves. would one install it between rnv and tank or between the rnv and the carb? you guys seem to know more about it than i. assistance is appreciated.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:01 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It needs to be as close to the carb as possible, in some of the early ones the spring was a little too strong for an engine with weak fuel draw. Call john at the number Jim provided above and he'll fix you up.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:11 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Joe,
Slimline makes an barbed adaptor for going from large size to medium size fuel tubing. That's what I had to use to overcome your difficulty with the Iron Bay nipple sizes and if I recall two came in a package. It works fine and they are inexpensive. Problem is a couple of more connections and something else dangling around.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:36 AM
sport10

Make sure that your check valve is holding pressure in the tank too. This system needs tank pressure of at least 2 psi to work properly. All the regulator does is act like a gate. When the engine sucks on the diaphram it open and lets the fuel flow. Having the regulator no more than 1 inch from the carb inlet also helps.