Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S 46 ax

Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 AM
trentos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S 46 ax

Ive got a great 3d profile plane which is 46- 50 sized. Ive been looking at the new O.S 46 ax.

Does anyone have one that can give me an idea whether its a waste of money or not

trent.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:46 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: O.S 46 ax

The 46AX is a great engine that you will really like.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 06-20-2005, 07:48 AM
aidan_jos_mills

It is a bit pricey but it performs great. I have one on my stick and with an 11x4 prop gives loads of power. Starts in the first twoo flips of the engine. I usually prime with three flips with finger over the carb then three at idle then it usually starts first time. Best 46 i have had.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

All the popular .46s are pretty close in power, but the OS AX is the easiest handling, easiest to adjust and most reliable one I own.

I bought 2 more.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 AM
fd59

I have a .46AX and It is absolutely NOT a waste of money. The thirty or so bucks extra is one of the the best investments you can make. The .46AX is the smoothest and easiest to tune .46 sized engine available, and absolute pu**ycat of an engine. It can really turn some power when needed.

That being said, if you really want an easy tuning, reliable, engine with monstrous power go for the OS .50SX. Takes just a few extra tanks to break in, but the power is well worth the extra money. When it comes to 3D flying, once you fly with a .50SX you will never want to return to a .46.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:32 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

I agree with everyone here, you'll not be disapointed with the .46 AX...I mounted mine in a avistar and it flies that plane! [8D] Most of the time, I'm at 1/3 throttle...as for price, tower sells them for $110, but I was able to get one for $100 at my LHS, so see what your LHS charges for one....
Old 07-08-2005, 12:22 AM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

great engine! I mounted mine first on a Kadet LT40, with an 11x6 prop, then on a Dazzler with 11x5. Finally on an Uproar40 with 12x4. It can hange that plane on prop and hovers nice. You wont be sorry.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:27 AM
CP140

Mark down one more "yes" vote on the 46AX. Nice engine, runs well... few minor tweaks of the needles after a dozen or so tanks and you won't have to touch them again apart from a click or two either way from season to season. I have one and would not hesitate to get another.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:34 PM
martinoto

I have two of them, running MA 11x6 and APC 11x6. The planes are a Bridi Advanced Trainer 60 and an sport semi-symmetrical low wing design. In both cases power is more than enough, and verticals are unlimited.

I usually fly with two friends who has the same low wing model. Mine has the 46AX, and the other two has Super Tigre's. Our instructor has tried all of them, and said that the ST's seems to have a little more power, specially at low to mid rpm. Mines run with Byron 5%.

However, I always started it a LOT EASIER. The ST's half of the time requires a little patience, and some times even an starter.
For me, this is one of the most important factors, not only because it is frustrating when you can't start an engine easy, but because I wouldn't trust my set-up for the first few flying minutes if I have trouble to get it running.

Let see which one last longer, but my vote is for the AX's.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
jswanson

My OS 46 engine gets very hot after each use. It was broken in and I had no problems with it, but now it is acting up. I thought this might be a consequence of running the engine too lean, but I have richened it up as much as possible and it is still off.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 07-15-2005, 05:02 PM
BillS

jswanson,

Your description indicates trash in the carb at the high-speed needle area.

Bill
Old 07-15-2005, 05:38 PM
martinoto

Jeff,

What prop are you using? What fuel?
What is the weight of your plane?
What about the weather, specially humidity levels?

All of this could be the problem, even thou those 46AX are very forgiving and have a big bandwith regarding props and fuel.

Probably the prop you are using is too much a load for the engine, specially if it is running in low nitro.

I also notice that they run hotter in those sticky days down here....

I guess that you have enough exposure to the cool air also.... I mena, it is not hidden behind the cowl, is it??

Sorry for the obvious, just checking...

thanks