Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 AM
partshunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, maybe I should try starting this Morton on glow. OR, just mix more heavy oil in the gas to improve compression.... I would just like to hear it run for a little bit. Thanks again. ..Joe
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wishing you well will you video that?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:28 PM
clockguypete

Hi guys, I am looking for an exhaust collector ring for the OS Fr5-300 radial. Any Ideas?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:08 AM
Radial power

Originally Posted by clockguypete
Hi guys, I am looking for an exhaust collector ring for the OS Fr5-300 radial. Any Ideas?
There was an OS genuine collector ring for that engine (OS part number 47069010), but I don't know where you could find one today. Ebay?
OS did also make a front ring for that engine (part number 47069000) in case you are interested, but again good luck finding one.

In addition to the OS part, Keleo Creations used to sell a (rear) collector ring for that engine. However a few months ago the Keleo brand (and the tools and jigs used to build the products, as far as I know) were passed on to CH Ignitions ( https://www.ch-ignitions.com/keleo-rings.html ), which currently lists just a few items.
A few months ago I contacted Adrian (the person who runs CH Ignitions) and asked about the other products that Keleo used to sell. He told me that he'd try to bring those back on sale, but he didn't know for sure whether he'd be able to do that.

Actually I'm not even 100% sure whether the items he's currently selling are "new old stock" he got from Keleo or whether they are new build items. I have a ring for a Saito 325 coming, so maybe I will know more in a few days (or weeks, depending on the Italian customs...).

The bottom line is: try contacting Adrian at CH ignitions and ask him. Maybe he's got all the jigs and templates he needs and he can build one for you. Or maybe not. Asking costs nothing...

Best regards,

Andrea
Old 06-02-2018, 03:09 AM
clockguypete

Thanks Andrea, I am familiar with The Keleo muffler reboot by Adrian at CH Ignitions. He has produced around 500 brand new collector rings so far some of the most popular radials currently being sold on the market. He also has a prototype of a wrap around manifold exhaust for the Topflight giant scale P51 that was on display at Joe Nall last month. Plans are in the works to make those custom manifolds for several of the popular warbirds too! I thought I would test the waters to see if perhaps someone might have an original OS inner (rear) exhaust ring collecting dust somewhere. Adrian is doing his best to bring back the rest of the Keleo muffler designs for our vintage engines in the near future. I currently have five vintage OS & Saito twin engines, and an OS 5cylinder patiently waiting for those sweet sounding Keleo mufflers.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:44 AM
Radial power

Thanks Andrea, I am familiar with The Keleo muffler reboot by Adrian at CH Ignitions. He has produced around 500 brand new collector rings so far some of the most popular radials currently being sold on the market. He also has a prototype of a wrap around manifold exhaust for the Topflight giant scale P51 that was on display at Joe Nall last month. Plans are in the works to make those custom manifolds for several of the popular warbirds too! I thought I would test the waters to see if perhaps someone might have an original OS inner (rear) exhaust ring collecting dust somewhere. Adrian is doing his best to bring back the rest of the Keleo muffler designs for our vintage engines in the near future. I currently have five vintage OS & Saito twin engines, and an OS 5cylinder patiently waiting for those sweet sounding Keleo mufflers.
Hi,

I mentioned Keleo/CH Ignitions since the original question didn't provide much information, and so I gave a generic reply.

By the way I realized that my comment about not being sure about new exhausts being manufactured by CH or selling new old stock may have sounded somewhat offensive, but that was definitely not my intention, so apologies to Adrian for that (in case he reads this).

I too have an OS FR5-300 (just bench run on the 5 individual exhaust stacks so far). That's one of the reasons I had emailed Adrian a few monthas ago. So I'm more or less in your same situation, except that I'm not in any urgent need for that ring, so I can just wait for now.

I also have a Saito FA-90TS that I have been flying regularly with a Keleo exhaust since 2009, but I already broke 2 exhausts on that engine due to metal fatigue caused by vibrations (first replacement in 2012, second in 2014). In the third exhaust Kelvin added a couple of lugs to help support the lower part of the exhaust and prevent fatigue cracks. That should definitely help, but knowing that one can get replacements if one needs to would be a good peace of mind.

Best regards,

Andrea

Last edited by Radial power; 06-03-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:18 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.clusterstore.top/os-engi...r5-p-9975.html
Old 06-03-2018, 04:25 AM
redball8
My Feedback: (128)

Clusterstore is a scam ...
Old 06-08-2018, 02:12 AM
TomH
My Feedback: (4)

believe it or not, I found one in stock at Tower. that was about a year ago, it wasn't advertised, I did a search on their site.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:47 AM
clockguypete

The OS 7 cylinder collector ring pops up, but not the 5 cylinder. Maybe there is a way to search their site for discontinued items?
Old 06-08-2018, 05:02 AM
redball8

Or you could be old-fashioned and just give them a call ...
Old 06-08-2018, 05:15 AM
clockguypete

Originally Posted by redball8
Or you could be old-fashioned and just give them a call ...
Great idea! Maybe my odds for success will increase if I dial them up on a rotary phone 😀
Old 04-15-2020, 09:38 AM
Hyjinx

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Newbie

Hi All
i am new to this thread. I am a radial engine enthusiast.
I own nine models from Moki to Morton.
This year I have determined to fly them off the shelves and stands and enjoy them.
Hoping to glean some knowledge from this thread.
First thing.
Just put a Sirius FR-300 back into service after a dissambly and un gunk. Got about 3 hours in it and the motor went down. The cam reduction gear PT # 47062700 lost a section of teeth. H.H. and Tower both have few to no parts for this discontinued engine.
Reluctant to start the next one for the same concerns (original German Seidel 7-70). But I sure do want to hear it run.
Have any of you collectors found help with parts for these older motors?
I would hate to make boat anchors out of the beautiful motors, and they need to get out to play.
O.S. has tried to help but they don't keep many parts from discontinued lines.
Good customer service though. They actually answer e mails!
Old 04-15-2020, 10:14 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That's sad that you can't get a part. I know it would be expensive but.. could a machine shop reproduce the critical part for you?
Just a thought.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:39 PM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by BobH
That's sad that you can't get a part. I know it would be expensive but.. could a machine shop reproduce the critical part for you?
Just a thought.
Probably couldn't afford it or justify the expense to make a one off part.
Trying all roads to find one out there collecting dust. Love to find a "parts motor" for future needs.
Worse case scenario, it goes back in a stand and I stare at it.
Smiling 😁
Thanks for your thoughts Bob.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:40 PM
Hyjinx

Great idea! Maybe my odds for success will increase if I dial them up on a rotary phone 😀
I have the phone if yours dosent work!
Old 04-15-2020, 02:07 PM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

To the best of my knowledge this engine is made from () individual 0 size engine. Could be that the messed gear is common with the single cylinder?
Old 04-16-2020, 12:25 AM
Spuetz

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Reluctant to start the next one for the same concerns (original German Seidel 7-70). But I sure do want to hear it run.
Have any of you collectors found help with parts for these older motors?
Hello Hyjinx,

I have a couple of parts for the Seidel ST 770. If that is the same as the ST 7-70? Look here:

Old 04-16-2020, 05:03 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by N99JH
To the best of my knowledge this engine is made from () individual 0 size engine. Could be that the messed gear is common with the single cylinder?
Thanks.
True and right. It is an engine similar to the Saito. The upper ends are common to single cylinder engines but the common crankcase is not. The Reduction gear is part of the common cam system. Singles don't incorporate it.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:23 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Spuetz
Hello Hyjinx,

I have a couple of parts for the Seidel ST 770. If that is the same as the ST 7-70? Look here:

Wow Spuetz
Nice Cache of good stuff. Yes it mostly looks like nos parts for the 7-770. German mfg. ( Miss typed in original post ). The UMS Seidel knockoff motor is different on the point of part commonality. Similar but not the same as the original, as Tom mentioned.
If that box is ever offered for sale, I would like to be notified. The pushrods are definitely a great find. Most of them look like oems.
Thanks for the post.
Hoping to find the cam reduction gear for my Sirius in a box like that! Or inside a damaged parts motor, even better.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:45 AM
grassie

Hi Guys.
I have a ASP 400. It runs beautifully with onboard glow. My question is which glow plug is best for these engines? I am running Morgan 10% fuel. It is a synthetic castor mix.
As soon as the glow is switched off, the engine is not happy.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:02 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grassie
Hi Guys.
I have a ASP 400. It runs beautifully with onboard glow. My question is which glow plug is best for these engines? I am running Morgan 10% fuel. It is a synthetic castor mix.
As soon as the glow is switched off, the engine is not happy.
The O.S. 'F' plug is best. Both Siedels and Technopowers came standard with the OS F plug (and of course OS).
It's the best four stroke plug out there.
Fox Miracle plug, in a pinch.
The following users liked this post:
grassie (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 08:54 PM
grassie

Thanks for the quick response. I got it like that. Maybe I changed fuel, maybe that is the problem. I will run the engine on the previous brand today and see if it makes a difference.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:49 AM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

I have just bought a Saito FA-325R5 D which I want to install in a scale model. The problem I have is that the engine outside diameter is too small for scale. I am thinking about raising the cylinders 1" by using machined spacers. This will of course require machining a new master rod, slave rods, pushrods and adjusting the length of the pushrod tubes and intake tubes.

I know that it quite an undertaking but - apart from that, is there any negative impact some of you guys can think of that should keep me from doing this?
Thanks for any advice offered.
Joshua
Old 01-28-2021, 04:23 AM
redball8

Another approach would be to scale down the airframe!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.