Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

I didn't have to touch mine. I don't even know where it's set.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:52 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know where my low end needle is either. But I know it is WAY too rich, as the engine shut down imidiatly when i took the glow off at idle.
I only started it twice........... inside my apartment
Old 08-17-2007, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then it is probably set as it was on my engine! ,i bet you are degreasing your apartment now?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:40 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hehe....it does spray alot when it is set so rich, but the Keleo exhaust realy did a good job of throwing it down on the mat on the floor :-)
Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys iv always loved radial engines all though i dont have any model bipes or radials iv always thought real planes have two wings and round engines been doing the 3d stuff
when i was a kid i worked for a cropduster and he flew grumman ag-cats with 450 and 600 hp pratt & whitneys very fun i miss those days.

Iv been dreaming about the gp super stearman 120 it biulds with a lot of lead up front so i know a gasser would work great but i would really reather put a radial in it i was wondering if theres a small enough one out there for this plane i would want more than a 3 cy just dont look right. it doesnt have to be powered like a scale plan need to be over powerd because i want to put smoke on it things like that im not rich so cant just go buy it far from it im just 22. so lower price engines are better suted but i also want a good set up so if need be i will spend more (i will spend it on a ys after all) also dealing with radials are there some hidden cost i might not be thinking about or do they usally come with what you need
Old 08-19-2007, 05:53 PM

I think your only two choices for that model would be either the Saito or the OS five cylinder radials. Since you don't want a three cylinder.

There is another choice, more scale and more accurate but nearly impossible to actually get one and that is the Technopower nine cylinder radial. It is small in size and would be the ultimate for that model.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 PM

Thanks i have a link for tecnopower engines not sure if any of these are the 9c that your talking about [link]http://www.technopower.com/products.html[/link] are these really avalible the priceing says its good for june 2007? or can you not get them to give you one
Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 AM

I remember William Robison commenting several times that he had already been waiting two or three years to get a pair of either 7 cylinder or 9 cylinder engines that he had placed an order for. It seems Technopowers gears turn very slowly.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:01 AM

oh, ok thought there might be a snag in there some where[sm=71_71.gif]

well when i get to where i can try it [sm=greedy.gif] i will let yall know what the results are.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 AM

emailed tecnopower yesterday morning ask them how long it would take to get a new engine this is what they sent back yesterday afternoon so i gess we can give them a point for checking and replying promply to an e-mail:

Mr. Mason:
Thank you for your inquiry!
We are new owners of the TechnoPower marque, and have been re-engineering the engines
to improve materials, manufacturing processes, and some design features.
We are several months away from having new production engines, but if you would like, we
will put your name on our "prospective customers" list, and notify you when we have a new
engine available. At that time you will have 10 calendar days to pay for the engine or give
up your position. The price you pay will be the price effective at the time you put your name
on the list (today it is $2825).
Please note that if you intend to fly your engine (about half our customers are collectors
who do not fly their engines), the limiting factor to the model will be its take-off weight.
The maximum weight for the 9c is 22 lbs.
Since the highly recommended on-board glow driver weighs 18-20 oz. (depending on battery
size), you need to consider its weight and placement when building the model.
Regards,
Marc Linville, President
TechnoPower Engines
Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 AM

That's nice. Hopefully Technopwer is getting ramped up for higher production and shorter delivery times.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:32 PM

I actually had that similar message three years agon, just before I bought my Sidel St710. Technopower is really a light airframe engine and really like he said more for static collectors. Get a Siedel or another radial on the market. One could grow old and weary waiting on technopower i am afraid.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

G'day everyone,

Just found this topic. I haven't checked this forum for ages.
Very interesting and lots of info here about the radial

Here's a short video of my Saito FA-90R3 Radial engine (15cc)
[link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=O3y6QdNGH4s[/link]

Cheers
Old 08-26-2007, 01:27 AM
My Feedback: (27)

Hello Folks,

I have a strange story to tell here.

I was so proud to have won my Seidel ST-726 radial on eBay and felt secure in the fact that I had really gotten a great deal at 1.360 Euro (about $1,855 US).

When I unwrapped the carefully double boxed package... Wow! It was both HUGE and Beautiful!

Anyway, I spun the crankshaft around a few times and the pushrods moved... something inside my mind said that it didn't move properly... way back in my mind.....

Anyway today is day two and I was still bothered by that movement.... I took a closer look at the engine and noted that the the glow plugs looked like fakes or blanks. I spun the crank again and this time I noticed that the rods just popped too quickly. The cam lobes should open the valves for a much longer time than I was seeing....

So I pulled a glow plug and looked inside and couldn't see a piston. I grabed a wooden skewer and slide it in the cylinder and confirmed my suspicions.... No cylinders and no compression!

OK.... what's the deal? I went back to the ebay ad and looked at the item description, and I now think I know what my really really big error was..... I'm pretty sure I was just lost in translation.... to the tune of nearly $2000 (with shipping)!!!!

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!![:@]

Here's the description as it was typed in German....

"Seidel Sternmotor ST726 mit Holzpropeller 7 Zyl, - Deko Seidel Sternmotor ST726 mit Holzpropeller 7 Zylinder - funktionsfähig - ist nie im Einsatz gewesen - Deko Motor mit Standfuss Durchmesser ca. 35cm, Propeller ca. 56cm Durchmesser, der Motor kann sicherlich zum laufen gebracht werden."

Here's what freetranslation.com translated it as....

Seidel star motor ST726 with wood propellers 7 Zyl, - Deko Seidel star motor ST726 with wood propellers 7 cylinder - operable - never was in the use - Deko motor with standing foot diameter ca. 35cm, propeller ca. 56cm diameter, the motor can run brought become certainly that.

I read it to mean that it was never run, and just used as decoration, but what I think it says now, is that it was made for decoration, and can be made to run if I took the time to buy some pistons, rings, wrist pins, conrods, operable cam and glow plugs (and maybe other items too). ARGGHHHHHH!!!![:@]

Can our German friends on the forum confirm my suspicions? I'm pretty sure that the seller was being honest and I just didn't understand the language, made some bad assumptions and ended up buying something that I didn't really want.

I guess it just never occured to me that Seidel would build them as non-working models for display only. I've never seen one that wasn't meant to work before.

On a final note, does anyone know if Seidel has an "upgrade package" to buy the items necessary to put this engine in a working state? Any ideas how much this would cost?

I don't feel like a very smart person just at this moment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53126.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	749757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42299.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	749758  
Old 08-26-2007, 03:08 AM

Hello Steve,

I think, reading the description, You are wrong. It sais: "funktionsfähig", that means, that it can be opperated, so it can be run. The sentence "kann sicherlich zum laufen gebracht werden" means, that it can be made to run. This could be misunderstoud, can mean it could be modified so that it runs or it could be checked and tank and glow drivers attached to run it. The key word is "funktionsfähig" that sais clearly that it can run!

I never hered of Seidel was making engines only for deco purpose, I would give him a call. May be his customer was very keen to get the engine and he did not have rods and pistons to make it complete, and the customer did not intended to run it, so he made it specially for him without the inner parts, but I don't think so, why should Seidel fit camrings and gears if it should not be run? Perhaps it had a conrod failure and that'sthe reason why those parts are missing.

I really would contact the seller and perhaps You can manage to get money back?

Well, that confirms me in never to buy anything via ebay.

gnome

Holm und Rippenbruch

Postscriptum:

Where does the seller live in Germany, perhaps I can visit him to check all this.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Steve, that sucks totally!! []
Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 PM

Thank you kindly for you input Gnome, and I wholeheartedly agree with you, KMOT.

I have written the seller a letter explaining my concerns and will await his reply before taking any further action. If anyone is interested from an academic standpoint, here is the letter....

Hello Mr. ***seller***

I unpacked the engine on Friday and left you a positive feedback.

However, I have some concerns. On saturday, I looked at the Seidel more closely and it did not look like the engine had any compression! The glow plugs looked strange too.

I removed one glow plug and found the it is not a working glow plug. I looked inside and poked inside with a wooden stick and found that there are no pistons, or connecting rods either. The inside of the engine is empty!

I am disappointed to find that this is not an entire Seidel radial engine. You said in your listing that the engine was operable and can be made to run, but there is no way to run this engine with out the pistons and other inside parts.

When I asked if the engine came with the box, instructions, tools and wires, you said no--just the engine as shown, but you did not mention that it is not needed because it can not be run.

The engine was listed under 4-stroke RC engines, but this is most definately a static model, or Standmodelle and it should have been listed in the standmodelle categeory.

I have asked some of my German friends if I did not properly read the description of your ebay listing, but they think that with the description--the way it was written, that the the model should run and have all of it's internal parts.

Did you know that you were selling an engine that was missing many of it's internal parts?

I am very frustrated right now and am hoping that we can work together to resolve the problem that I have with my purchase. Please respond and tell me if you would be willing to take the engine back and return my money to me.

I am a concerned right now, because I just spent US $2,079 on an engine that is missing many important internal parts and it will cost many more hundreds of Dollars/Euros to fix it -- assuming that Mr. Seidel even has the parts that I will need to complete the engine.

$2,079 is is a very large amount of money and I am afraid to loose it with this ebay transaction on an engine that is impossible to run!

Thanks you, and I am sorry that this is not working out to be an easy ebay transaction.

Best Regards,
--->Steve
Old 08-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Hi guys,

I think that i can add something interesting to this story (unfortunately). I bet on this seidel too (yes this one), but i didn't won, several days after, the seller sent me an email telling me that the one that as won the auction "wasn't able to pay for it" (i found that strange), and as i was the second better, he would sell the engine to me for my maximum bet. I have read is "bewertung" (sorry, i don't know the word in english), and found out that he hasn't deliver is last customers so i decided not to continue with him...

Sory for you Steve.

Gilles
Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 PM

Oh no... Now I am worried. It could be that someone else sent you the email, as I have seen this kind of theft happen before, but I'm not sure.

He JUST left me a positive feedback... "Great Ebayer - very fast payment - thanks a lot and have fun with the engine :-)"

His rating is over 600 with 100% positive feedbacks and many recent transactions, so he really looks to be an honest seller. I am still hoping that maybe he just didn't know that it would not run and will accept my return. I'll keep the group informed.

Most times, I agree with what Gnome said. eBay is a shakey place to do business with these high-end engines. I've bought from very reputable sellers claiming that the engine was new-in-box, but they never thought it important to tell me about the fact that the engine is frozed from dried oil. (This happeded three times). I've also had some of the usual non-disclosures. Some of my experiences have been pleasent, however.

Oddly enough, I've found the most honest and the best deals right here on RCU. I bought my Gnome, ST-770, ST-996, Keleo 750, Saito 450 & 90, ST-540, older ST-770 and two older OS radials here and I've nevery had any problems.... Some were older and in need of repair, but the prices were very very fair and expectations have always been set up-front and before the transaction.

Anyway, I paid for the auction with Paypal. so if things don't go well, I can challenge the sale and if the folks at ebay see things my way, I should be able to get a refund on all but $79 of my transaction if it comes to that....

Stay tuned as the drama unfolds!

Gilles, out of curiosity, did you also believe that the engine was a fully working engine or did you believe it to be for static display only?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:33 PM

Hi,

Yes, I did, as Gnome said, it was described as able to function (i don't remember of the exact words). what i'don'understand is that you say that the last evaluation were good as i read they wasn't, and i'm pretty shure it's the same auction as the text was the same...

Gilles
Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 PM

I'just found the auction in my profile on ebay, and read the evaluation, it'looks like i confused two different sellers for the evaluations. but i'm shure he offered me to buy the engine too.

Hope you'll be able to solve your problem.

Gilles
Old 08-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Was it an official "second chance" offer or just a regular email? Did his email address start with "schlum......" Usually the regular emails (offers not made throught the official system) are people other than the seller who are trying to take your hard-earned money.

I had a guy try to steal from me once the exact same way. I had worked with the original seller in the past and knew that his name was Mark. The thief called himself Jason and tried to target me as the second highest bidder too. I played his game for a while and when he recommeded some strange online payment meathod, I suggested that we use ic3.gov instead. He stopped emailing me afterwards.... IC3.gov is the FBI internet crime complant center.

At any rate, I might get lucky. When the auction ended, the seller send me his bank account information for the direct transfer, but I was on vacation (holidays) and away from my bank. I used paypal because I didn't want to wait too long to pay him. I also gave him an extra 50 Euros to help him cover his paypal fees. He did not ask for the money, but I just felt bad using paypal when I could have saved him some money with a bank transfer.

Now I'm glad I used paypal. It's the only form of payment that eBay will stand behind so if eBay agrees with me (us), the I should get my money back.

I am still optimistic, however.... All signals say that his is a good member of the auction community, and I will await his response.

--->Steve
Old 08-27-2007, 12:37 AM

Sorry steve,

But i delete his emails, altought, i remember that he offer me to recreate the auction just for me which looked good. But he asked for doing things with an other email than the one he registred with ebay "as he was away for is desk for vacation", i found that very strang as email can be consulted everywere...

I can advice everybody to ask for other pictures when the want to buy something. It allow you to be more secure with the fact that the seller really own the object.

Gilles
Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 AM
dwr
My Feedback: (1)

An OS radial engine with an airplane bolted to the back of it. DWR.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29096.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	759531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80013.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	759532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72299.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	759533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29086.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	759534  
Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Beautiful!! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.