Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Old 06-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

Wheels I appreciate your info any time you have more to add please do. That`s what it`s all about,sharing information.I`m glad the Gee Bee is a solid performer-I can`t wait to hear mine with the Keleo exhaust :-)
Thanks & Please send some video if you ever get to it.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could an owner of an OS FR5 radial please do me a favor and measure the diameter of the carb barrel where it inserts into the block that attaches to the back of the engine?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Radial power

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Could an owner of an OS FR5 radial please do me a favor and measure the diameter of the carb barrel where it inserts into the block that attaches to the back of the engine?

Thanks!
If I understood correctly the measure I had to take, it's the diameter of the connection between the carb body and the right angle adapter that connects the carb to the backplate. In that case the carb outlet has an ID of 9mm (not considering the O-ring that's there), whereas the right angle connector that slides into the carb outlet has an OD of 8mm (if one wanted to be pedantic, it's the right angle block that inserts into the carb, not vice versa ).

May I ask you if you need this diameter because you want to use the OS carb on your ASP radial? (by the way, very nice polishing job!)

Radial.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Kmot

Thank you very much Radial!

You are so correct, and my mind was operating in reverse. Sorry about that, and thank you for understanding what the heck I really was trying to convey!

Yes, I was thinking about trying the OS carb on the ASP radial. OS carbs are such fine instruments, I thought it might benefit the operation of my ASP radial.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59383.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1455336  
Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Radial power

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Thank you very much Radial!

You are so correct, and my mind was operating in reverse. Sorry about that, and thank you for understanding what the heck I really was trying to convey!

Yes, I was thinking about trying the OS carb on the ASP radial. OS carbs are such fine instruments, I thought it might benefit the operation of my ASP radial.
I can't help about the OS carb being fine or not. I have had the engine for one year and a half and haven't managed to start it yet [:@][:@][:@] (I intend to remedy this before the end of this summer, though [8D] ).

On the other hand, just out of curiosity, I checked and Tower does not carry the OS FR5 carb; [link=https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=1415.20]Graupner does however[/link]. Hope this helps.

Radial.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:18 PM
MarvinE255
My Feedback: (10)

You can special order this carb from Tower Part # 47081000 and they will get it for you from Japan. I am about to try to see if the carb will fit but have been lazy in taking the ASP 400 off the plane it mounted on. You may may have inspired me to do it. Let you know if it fits. Doc
Old 06-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Kmot

Hi Marvin, yes please do try it out.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

From an earlier post I explained how i turned down that same OS carb for my saito 325 radial. The results were amazing. No more slobbery midrange and the atomization must be finer because the fuel consumption dropped dramatically. Went from a 24 oz tank down to a 16 oz one and had longer flight times!! -Tom Oh and by the way Hobby King did not cancel my order. They have some strange operating procedures so my Seidel is on the way.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: Maxam

-Tom Oh and by the way Hobby King did not cancel my order. They have some strange operating procedures so my Seidel is on the way.
Good on ya! So you snagged you one to and its in route. Glad to hear it.

Im followin the HK thread now and they are all cussing and discussing the delivery times and this new "Singapore Post" that HK is usin

I recieved my traking number earlier this week but nothin is on it yet. Course EMS never had anything on thier numbers either.

I paid EMS...did you? See if it gets here
Old 06-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Maxam

Yes I used EMS myself so we should get them by Friday!??? Hmm OS on that engine???
Old 06-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Dad_Roman

Hmm OS on that engine???
Dunno...be interesting to see whats on it
Old 06-20-2010, 05:52 AM
radial1951

Hi All
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned I had a list of 20+ radial engine manufacturers or drawings / parts suppliers. I thought it might be interesting to have a definitive list. My interest in IC engines, andradials in particular, goes way back, as I decided many years ago that I would make my own radial, airworthy to power a plane. So I have collected designs, ideas, photos, construction articles, you name it. I have pretty well settled on a design concept, but unfortunately the plane I like never had an engine of that type. Oh well, I'll eventually justify it to myself somehow LOL.

I am really interested to see comments from anyone who has built a radial, especially one to fly a plane.

Of course, in the mean time I couldn't wait, and needed (?) a radial to power an RC plane. How I decided what to buy is the next story...

Here's the list as it stands today. Names only, engine types, no opinions and no comments. Some of them are well engineered, some are ordinary. Some can power a plane, others are really for demo or display only. There are probably more and if you know of any, please post your info here, and I can add them to the list.

Regards, RossG
radial1951
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ay73425.pdf (30.7 KB, 97 views)
Old 06-20-2010, 07:23 AM
rcten

Maxam, Hi, I have a Saito 325 and interested in your carb change! Question, in post #1872 you stated you adapted OS carb FF240/320 to your 325 and here you said you used the OS FR5 unit?
Thanks RCTen
Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Maxam

RCTEN, The OS carb is directly installed in the saito 325. Now care must be taken during the machining. You must take out the throttle barrel, needle valve assembly and the throttle stop. As you may have noticed, the saito carb has an O-ring so you must turn the OS carb to 433 thousands diameter for an air tight fit. Machine back to the carb body 400 thousands. You will see that most of the screw hole mounts will be turned off. The part of the carb that must be in the chuck is a pressed in part so each pass with the cutting tool must be about 5 thousands. The portion being machined should be supported by a center that can turn with the carb. After carb reassembly oil the machined portion and install on the saito. There will be some interference which is a good thing. -Tom
Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 AM
rcten

Tom, thanks for the very important additional info, but my question is 'which carb did you use, the FR5 or the FF240/320?

RCTen
Old 06-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Maxam

OOPS sorry. The FF-240/320 carb. You will be very pleased with the improvements. Understand that the midrange is adjustable to by rotating the aluminum ring between the black portion where the servo linkage is and the carb body. One of the carbs had this way off and the engine would quit in the midrange! Easy to fix though. -Tom
Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Maxam

Hi everyone, I got my seidel from HK and it seems impressive. The carb is a bit crude compared to an OS but we will see if it works well. I am completing a good test stand for the engine. The engine has an excellent real radial look! -Tom
Old 06-25-2010, 07:27 AM
jfassino

Tom,

I look forward to getting a report on your new radial. Pictures would be nice too.

Jim
Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Wulf

ORIGINAL: wheels

I'm using a 1s2p A123 pack for 4600mah at 3.2v, I have 3 5Amp linear regulators, one on each line close to the plug taking the voltage down to 1.5v.

The plugs GLOW so there should be no problems with flooding and my testing leads me to believe I have over 30 minutes of glow power available, likely more when the glow is running on a hot engine.

the two things that concern me are glowplug lifespan and regulator lifespan. If the plugs don't last I'll likely switch to 1.3v regs. If the regulators (computer components) can't take the vibration then I'll go with the McDaniels that Wulf is using.
Wheels, how much tail weight did you need to balance your Gee Bee and where did you position the batteries if those were used for the balance weight.I`m about ready to balance.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Dad_Roman

Hi everyone, I got my seidel from HK and it seems impressive. The carb is a bit crude compared to an OS but we will see if it works well. I am completing a good test stand for the engine. The engine has an excellent real radial look! -Tom
Are you kidding me!!!!

10 days to your door and thats with a hiccup! You ordered on Tuesday the 15th?

I ordered on the 13th....havent gotten mine yet although I am in the middle of nowhere
Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 PM
wheels

It took 11oz on the tail, but I made no special effort to get the batteries far back and I added a fair amount of weight to the wheel pants for extra strength, check your PM box. I tried to send you a message with that information quite some time ago.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM
wheels

Saito 450 guys, how were your initial flights on your motors and how much did you wind up screwing in your low end needle as your motor broke in?

I've got consistant, hot glow supplied to my cylinders but I continue to drop a cylinder even with the glow on. Initially the motor started easily and ran reasonably well dropping a cylinder occasionally if it was idled or left at low rpm for too long but the more I run it the harder time I have keeping them all running, and the harder it becomes to start. My working theory is that the engine is so rich it's flooding the plugs out but I haven't tweaked the needles enough yet to proove or disproove that.

Does anyone have any insight here? Comments?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Wulf

Just for the heck of it you may want do a valve adjustment.I bought my 450 used from a known source so I`m reasonably sure it performs OK.I did do a valve adjustment on mine and found 2 valves to be tight on clearance and I did run engine after that and it ran great on the bench.I have engine mounted in the Gee Bee now and about to do ground testing and engine run ups.I still have to mount the electronic components and balance-I`ll keep those interested informed with new updates.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Dad_Roman

OOOooooo BABY!!!!

Ima happy camper!

Think that will look good on that 100" Corsair?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13268.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1458671  
Old 06-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Kmot

Sweet! Where's the video of the "unboxing"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.