Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Old 08-28-2010, 03:11 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

I see Tower Hobbies has the new OS radial in stock, aneyone out there with one willing to share impression of this engine ?

As for the discussion of V-12 engines for planes without a radial, I think there are just a matter of time before a more scale V
configured engines will appear for sale, so maney planes out there to build for one of these engines, and modellers with money to part for the right product.
Could be simplyfied a lot, perhaps not even a V12, a V-10 or 8, just make it look like a Merlin, with exhausts, and gearing, cam covers,
must solve the coolant problem too.
Today you can scan a model and digitice it, then machine a mold or original part, so a real Mearlin should not be to far away.
I know this picture do not belong in this thread, but this engine is a Dynamotive casting kit built by a modeller in Danmark.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81880.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1491536  
Old 08-28-2010, 05:48 PM

Super Puma,

I don't think you will see one because of the weight plus the ignition system and cooling system. You would also need a gear reduction unit to get the prop size near scale. Here is the most scale model Rolls Royce Merlin I have ever seen built. Despite the incredible accuracy of this engine it still doesn't sound quite like the real thing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xe1LL1IC7Y[/youtube]

Old 08-28-2010, 07:12 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over on the RC Scale Builder site, there is a project to manufacture a V4 engine to fit Merlin/Alison/Mercedes nose planes. Scaled to power either 1/5 or 1/4 planes I forget which one.
It is a pretty serious attempt with a run of about 15 engines.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:40 PM

CAN YOU POST THE LINK? THANKX
Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM

DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER INFO REGARDING THIS ENGINE? WEB SITE OR SOMETHING?

THANKX
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...640&PN=1&TPN=1 You might have to register to see it.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Cybertom

Super Puma,

I don't think you will see one because of the weight plus the ignition system and cooling system. You would also need a gear reduction unit to get the prop size near scale. Here is the most scale model Rolls Royce Merlin I have ever seen built. Despite the incredible accuracy of this engine it still doesn't sound quite like the real thing:

I'd buy it immediately because it is very nice but the sound does not resemble at all the Meriln or Grifon ... seems more the sound of a Ferrari .... shame ...And I do not think you will ever do an engine so small with the same noise ....

Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 AM

wow that V4 is great!!

i need one
Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 PM

Check out this little tid bit of info I came across today.. this is the very first time I've seen this guy (buisness) before VERNAL ENGINEERING. makes parts for a 1/6th Pratt & Whitney R-1830 "Twin Wasp" radial. heres is some info about it

his is a one-sixth scale model of the Pratt & Whitney R-1830 "Twin Wasp" radial. According to the company website, production of the full-scale engine totaled 173,618 engines, making it the most widely produced piston engine we are ever, ever likely to see. The model pictured here combines the considerable skills of three gentlemen located in three countries just about as far from each other as it is possible to get and remain on the planet! The designer and draftsman is Mr Robert (Bob) Roach (Australia). The investment castings and the intricate dies that produce them are the work of Mr Bruce Satra (USA). Last but by no means least, the example in the photos is being masterfully built by Mr Ron Harris (UK).

It will feature a replica of the three blade, constant-speed prop hub (electric) used on that aircraft. The model hub will contain 63 gears. The sun gears are 9 tooth, 48 DP. The planets have 24 teeth, and the ring has 57. All divide by 3 so assembly is ok with five stages giving 21,200 to 1. The five-pole motor used comes from an O-class loco and does about 10,000 Revs, so the prop blades will turn at 0.5 RPM with plenty of torque. It is non reversible.

The diameter of the engine is eight inch's.It will have a self-starter, and spark ignition. The only castings used in construction are for the cylinder heads, crankcase nose, prop hub halves and rockers (steel); all else is cut from solid. The prop uses blades by Bolly, Australia. These are carbon fiber with an overall 20 inch diameter. Bolly is world renown for their model and ultra-light, sport aircraft props and other composite components. The prop motor turns 10,000 rpm and is geared to approx 22,000 to 1. The blade rotation is controlled by slip rings, just like the full size engine, providing forward, off, and reverse pitch. A governor could be fitted to make it automatic. The engine has 14 cylinders with 0.875 inch bore. The stroke is 24 mm (15/16 inch approx). The supercharger is using a modified Cummins diesel blower wheel.

Name:	Fd92076.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1492327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51260.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1492328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73734.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1492329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42037.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1492330   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99098.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1492331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Si70932.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1492332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94785.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1492333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73172.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1492334  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51126.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1492335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66708.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1492336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz28686.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1492337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53342.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1492338  
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Ran out of space...... here is MORE!!!!!

I dont know what the cc's are but its seems to run on glow.. I'm going to call the guy tomorrow I need to know more.. this is supper nice.. I want a Bird with this in it.. I cant seem to find any video's about it running or the build.. nothing..I bet the sound is spectacular !!

they have a price list for parts

http://modelenginenews.org/vernal/index.html

Name:	Mk25668.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1492341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12204.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1492342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19520.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1492343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88479.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1492344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57947.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1492345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97576.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1492346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np18000.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1492347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj33172.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1492348  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83366.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1492349  
Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: 77chickenhawk

Ran out of space...... here is MORE!!!!!

I dont know what the cc's are but its seems to run on glow.. I'm going to call the guy tomorrow I need to know more.. this is supper nice.. I want a Bird with this in it.. I cant seem to find any video's about it running or the build.. nothing..I bet the sound is spectacular !!

they have a price list for parts

http://modelenginenews.org/vernal/index.html

<span class="long_text" id="result_box"><span title="" zc="Mr. Burch SATRA and the boys very well known and is the only engine that is as true .... but it would be a waste to put them on a model airplane in fact he flew only 9 gilindri Glow.e no glow right now. " yc="Ragazzi il signor BURCE SATRA e molto conosciuto ed &egrave; l'unico che fa motori come i veri....ma sarebbe uno spreco metterli su un aereomodello infatti lui ha fatto volare solo il 9 gilindri Glow.e nessuno a bagliore fin ora." closure_uid_bjb66a="156" style="color: #000; background-color: #e6ecf9">Mr. Burch SATRA and the boys very well known and is the only engine that is as true .... but it would be a waste to put them on a model airplane in fact he flew only 9 gilindri Glow.e no glow right now. </span><span title="" zc="They are very beautiful but there are only museum pieces and keep on display because it is not worth ruining flying .... you agree?" yc="Sono molto belli ma rimangono solo pezzi da museo e da tenere sempre in vetrina perch&egrave; non vale la pena rovinarli volando....siete daccordo?" closure_uid_bjb66a="157" style="background-color: #fff">They are very beautiful but there are only museum pieces and keep on display because it is not worth ruining flying .... you agree?</span></span>
Old 08-30-2010, 06:17 AM
My Feedback: (27)

I have a casting set for Bruce's Wasp Jr. for sale on eBay right now along with the plans as published by Bob Roach for the same engine. I agree, that with 1500-2500 hours of construction time, it would be a shame to have something go wrong after putting in that much effort.

Being said, there is video out there of a guy flying his homemade 14 cyl double row, and another of someone who built a 1/3 scale lerhone rotary and took it for a spiin too.

Maybe very limited flight, but what a shame to see it destroyed if it were to crash!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 AM

do you think you could digg up the link for us to see?

im wondering what the wieght is and totall cc's
Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM

When does a model Radial Engine become a museum piece instead of flyable?

I think a consideration we are missing here as we look at these great model engines is that not all of them are designed for flight. Manufacturing costs, weight, and reliability drive the design decisions of flyable engines whereas short run, super detailed, bench mounted, works of art, are not bound by these conditions.

Any miniature radial engine is a compromise design. The flyable engines that provide a good balance of scale appearance, cost, and performance are in many ways a much greater achievement than a museum piece.

You have to determine what your goal is. Are you a collector and you will never fly any engine you buy? Or are you trying to create a flyable miniature piece of history? Personally just as with real aircraft I find flying aircraft the most compelling.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM
My Feedback: (27)

Here is the link to information on Vernal Engineering. Per Cybertom's comments above, these are more museum pieces. I don't see displacement and weight posted, but I doubt that these models are intended for flight. His Morton M5 might be flight capable. It is a newer more powerful design, and back in 1945 when these were originally available, a rare few were able to power aircraft into the air.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 AM

I called a very nice man named Chris Lauridsen. He is one of the guys making the parts for this engine.. He states they are also making a pratt single row 9 cylinder and also a pratt 1830 non supercharged all which i believe will have the electric variable pitch prop. and electric start, internal oil pump and a few other things i cant think of at the moment.

he said if he (Chris) gets enough interest (e-mails) he would seriously consider making a complete kit and even a possible turn key deal. he isn't a r/c guy. but he was very receptive towards using this engine in a r/c plane. And I could feel the MoJo boiling up within him as we talked. he loved the idea of taking this engine to the next level , If he hears from you all with interest that is.. he states that the engine is quite liter than what it looks like it should be.. from talking to him. this engine and all the parts are of a high quality craftsmanship and materials. So please all r/c guys... e-mail him with interest in owning one or even the interest in having a high quality (scale) looking dependable engine. Oh and did I mention the prop?????? good Gosh.. I mean Solo has a great thing going, but this?? all I can say is WOW and we need people like this in the hobby I would and Im sure there are plenty others that would build a engine like that for on of my top gun birds.. he was going to call me back in a day or so with more specs on the engine and possible info on seeing a video and so on.. so I will keep you all posted...

just a thought.. you would win hands down taking a warbird to top gun sporting this engine and flying with it?? hands down

E-mails if you feel the same guys........
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would love to see , hear and own something like that but do tell, why would it make a difference at a scale competition if the engine is cowled? Do you get points for scale sound or what?Would love to hear your answer
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 PM

well as far as I know you get scored on flight realism. we just had the scale masters last qualifying at Madera r/c field over this last weekend..those judges grade everything. it would definitely make a lasting impression while you are flying.. you could even use the engine to accentuate the rest of your flight routine.

I would think that even tho the engine would be cowled, you would easily know the engine is real at static judging because of the book you give them with plane info and that second row or cylinders ( i think ) would stick out like a swore thumb.. sorta speak.. and well. then there is that prop and hub.... how many people do you think will ask you over and over again when in the flight line " when are you changing that prop?" lol

flight realism would also count sound.

unless you know something I don't Ram? and by all means I'm no super smart guy. I'm just going with what I hear over the years

Oh and I need to correct myself a little.. when i said my top gun planes in the earlier post. I havent actually competed in top gun or scale masters. but I have two planes in the works (as some of you who personally know me know this) but they are both being built to that caliber.

just didnt want anyone to misunderstand me
Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Chickenhawk, wasnt trying to insult or challenge, just thought maybe the rules had changed. I agree with the lasting impression and it would have a humongous "WOW" factor. Now if you could also put a remote start on it.......I will just go sit in my corner and have a smoke and a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Ram.. ohh goodness sakes. I was by no means thinking such a thing. some times typing is hard to express ones self and ones attitude.. and I just wanted you to know i didn't even think you were insulting me or challenging me.. oh heavens no sire.. indeed I was actually trying to express emotions of curiosity and just wanting your wisdom in the subject because even though I'm a quick learner, mechanically and artistically inclined, I have only been in the r/c part of building and customizing and flying for 5 years.

Im sorry that I made you feel that way for one second Ram.. we are all friends and family here. and I wanted to make it perfectly clear I never thought a negative thought..
Hey !!! I like PB and J's... can I come and site in the corner with you??
Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 PM

gotta bring your own cigs....mine will be the candy kind. Looking forward to seeing more info on that radial. Your right sometimes it is hard to read ones thoughts thru our fingers.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:38 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ram, you do get points for scale sound in a round about way. The "realism in flight" scoring should include the entire presentation, including sound. I'm not convinced that it does though.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
My Feedback: (153)

anyone, is there a radial suitable for the great planes pt-17 ARF?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 AM
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at this one for sale here on RCU.Supposedlyonly bench run and has a video showing that. There are two other ones for sale on RCU as well. Good price on this one as one from Horizon is now almost twice that much. I already have one otherwise I would have grabbed this one.

www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm
Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM

...and Maxxam is trying to sell (EDIT: change 2 to read "1") of his new 7-70's and he is willing to take about a 200 dollar hickey. Pretty swell deal right there. (wish I had known that before I bought mine )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.