Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

FOX 50 runs HOT

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 01:43 AM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FOX 50 runs HOT

Thank goodness. At least we know those Foxes are in capable hands now, and their suffering has ended.

Ours is a merciful God, and obviously an r/c'er.

'Race
Old 11-13-2005, 05:37 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mecoa.com wants to pay $20 for any Fox trade in towards a superior engine.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

K, you might as well give it up, Fox owners KNOW better than to listen to you.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:02 AM
rambler53

Here is my Fox eater. MVVS .21, $37 here on RCU.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87792.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	353479  
Old 11-13-2005, 09:07 AM
rambler53

It's rare to ever see a Fox, in real life, and at the RC field.

Name:	Jg14215.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	353480  
Old 11-13-2005, 10:07 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK Guys NEVER owned a fox till several months ago. After talking with Hobbsy and his fox 50 good experiences with it, and talking with Bob Davis I decided to get one, the 50 is "out of production" but Mr Davis called fox and they "made one up" took about a month
Then the box came from Davis Diesel , One engine and one diesel head, After a run in on 5% nitro with an other 3% castor on went the diesel head. IT HUMS, Most of my 50 class engines are Irviine 53s with davis heads, The fox runs just as well and with the air bleed
carb it adjusted so well I was shocked good idle , good throttle response. I wonder how many other engine manufacturers would take the shop time to do this MADE here in USA and they were proud to do it Thanks Charlie Thacker -- martin
By they way MVVS and Irvine run on low nitro 5% also (I have them) and FAI with a warmer plug
I have been doing this for a while my first engine was a drone 29 diesel for C/L which as a kid went to the factory on the bus
as a kid and picked it up from Leon Shulman

K if you go to the Diesel site you will see some pretty positive stuff on the Fox 50
Old 11-13-2005, 12:18 PM
rambler53

Well bravo, a one made engine I suppose they looked it over better than in the 70s and 80s when they were lemons. The only reason to buy a Fox in those days was because that was the cheapest engine money could buy and you would throw away the carb and put on a Perry. Combat flyers liked them because of the disposability of the engine. They took a lot of punishment, but the carbs were and are trash.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:22 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Combat flyers liked them because of the disposability of the engine. They took a lot of punishment, but the carbs were and are trash.

They took a lot of punishment?????? sounds like a terrible engine. By the way I do have and did mount the Perry carb on my fox right
after I got it and the "trash" carb seems to run just as well. martin

Old 11-13-2005, 06:33 PM
rambler53

Fine, love your Fox engines, have a passion for the dying brand and enjoy it. Geez, someday when Fox isn't around, which will be soon, you might try a quality engine and wonder what you were doing all this time. You can tinker with Fox, or fly a plane with something else on it.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Hobbsy

This has been locked up, no longer on topic and no longer informative.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Hobbsy

I'm unlocking this Thread with the stipulation that any further posts be constructive, useful advice to help CRAZY4FLIGHT with his overheating problem. Whether we love Fox engines or hate them is not the issue here.

Craze, if you run 5% or less nitro with 20% lube which is at least 50% castor, a 10x6 or 11x5 prop and a relatively cool glowplug the Fox .50 should turn the 10x6 at mid to high 13s. Put a good hour on it at lower rpm if you're not sure its broken in. This is mostly a re-cap of what others with experience have stated above. If you happen to have the big long Quiet Muffler you'll lose about 200 rpm but the prop will make more noise than the exhaust.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to the origonal question, the Hot Fox 50.

I have two of them, both with the two needle MKX carb. Yes, they do run hotter than most two strokes in that size range, but that is the nature of the Fox engine. Heat makes power and duke understood that.
There are a couple different head buttons available for ther 50, some are very high compression and 5% nitro is about max, some have a deeper bowl and a narrower squish band and can easily handle all the 10% sport fuels with ease. If you absoutly must run 10% in yours, give Fox a call and ask Charles Thacker about a head button for lower nitro, you may need to take the head off yours and describe it while on the phone. Sometimes the glow plug has a lot to do with it, the hotter the fuel (more nitro content) the cooler the plug is especially true in most Fox engines.

Do'nt let the bickering in this thread throw you off. Once you get to know your Fox, it will be the lightest engine in its class and be probably one of the most powerful.
I have two Fox 50's that have countless gallons through them and a pair of 74's that I stopped counting at the 1000 tank mark over 4 years ago and they are still going strong.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 PM
dammitman
My Feedback: (15)

I have a couple fox 50s now but i bought both them used and dont know what the previous owners ran them like. it has been real interesting reading all of this topic. i am the only one here who runs fox engines. i run them almost exclusivly and they are the only 2 strokes i run. i do alot of experimenting with them on the running. i love a good engine challenge and i like to be different at the field,,,so thats why the fox engines. i have also run into several of mine that seem to run too hot. i have others that run cool and never get hot. i like to put my engines to the test of extremes with tuned pipes. i have found that its very important to have plenty of fuel for the engine. make sure the tank is mounted so the engine will get all the fuel it can use. i can tell you it dont take long (seconds) at wide open throttle running full out and to go lean to fry one of my engines. as far as the carb settings go, it just takes a bit of time and knowledge. if you dont have a idea about fuel/air mixture and have a reasonably good ear or poor eyesight for exhaust smoke and RPM's,,,,,you might have some trouble. but then again, that would go for any engine now wouldnt it!!!!! fox engines are for more modelers, builders and engine tuners and the OS LA engines are for arf's and folks who dont have the patience or desire to tune an engine or build up a model. see, its a great hobby we have,,,something for everybody!!!! pic below of my OS engine eater,,,,,,,,,thats ugly?

Name:	Cz79841.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	354535  
Old 11-14-2005, 10:24 PM
rambler53

First of all, who said anything about some OS LA piece of bushing garbage? I don't prefer OS LA to anything. I agree, LA is for combat flyers and beginners who don't know the flaws of a RTF that packages it with it, or the hobby shop begging to unload inventory on a new modeler who doesn't know any better. Some integrity LHS have! FX is a good engine, SF is better, and FSR is even better. I don't particularly like OS, but they've been making engines for 70 years and they are a leader, so maybe something is right with them. Fox is like AMC, Oldsmobile, and others that passed away because of poor sales, and quality. The Fox you show is indeed very ugly. One more color and you'd have a pinata. My photo that is a Fox eater, was a .21 MVVS. Go ahead, tell us all how Fox can beat a MVVS engine.

I like how in your comment, you admit difficulty tuning it, and being the only guy at the club who owns a Fox. Also you admit you have fuel guzzling issues and heat related problems. Sorry to pick apart the posts, but you guys are living in denial. I think Fox Anonymous would be a good organization for you guys to stand up and say "I'm a Fox fanatic", and everyone claps and begins to help you with your problem. I do build kits. Enjoy testing my patience with my kids, the hobby is actually relaxing and requires no patience at all. Sorry your comments are off again. When I'm at the field, I'm there to fly, not tinker with my poorly chosen engine and ignore the sensible majority at the club who all went through the weeding out process of junk engines. The fact of the matter is good pilots don't use Fox. I've never read in my model magazines of any great Fox powered plane features at some show, maybe you guys collect this stuff after days of searching, and you can show me one or two. But generally your the same crowd who likes ugly cars like the Honda Element. Lots of Honda lovers wouldn't dare go near an Element. Lots of pilots and engine guru's hate Fox with a passion. Only owners of a Fox would defend it. Once you dump it, I'll read your posts in a few years how you love your new brand. SuperTigre .51, Magnum .52, Rossi .45 / .46, OS SX .50, who could ever knock any of those more reliable engines, that don't have the 'heat is power' excuse when they pass the Fox with debris in the fuel starved Fox? They aren't experimenting with $4 glow plugs to get their plane in the air. They aren't trying this fuel and that to compensate for a piece of crap that should run out of the box like these engines listed do.

The gentleman who started this post with a question admits to enjoying his OS SX and SuperTigre engines, and I'd have to go with him on that. I enjoy my SX and SuperTigres far more than any Fox given away to me. Ever type Fox engine on the worlds largest auction site and see what prices these things get? Wonder why? If you read his email, he dumped the .50, and I doubt he'll ask for it back.

Name:	Qo39948.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	354551  
Old 11-15-2005, 08:39 AM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

What does MECOA do with all those trade in engines?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:46 AM
rambler53

They sell it back to Fox for antifreeze bath and they label them .50s.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Here is another in stock.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG880&P=7

and another on back order.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG886&P=7

They very recently had the .25, 40, and .46 models in stock.

I suspect that the fact that Fox is now selling them direct at 40% off has more to do with Tower dropping them than the quality. After all you get a lifetime warranty with them, no need to bother Tower with them.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

<i>Now that's a nice substitute. I have a OS .15 FP and OS .15 LA, want to trade? You can have both! I don't have a plane for it either, but I'd get one. </i>

The Fox .15 turns a 8-4 prop at least 1000 Revs more than those. No high nitro, head button, or carb issues. Though it is a lapped engine and vibrates a bit more than other engines, it is a very good and user friendly engine.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:40 AM
rambler53

thanks, sensitive Fox owners.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yeah, that company really looks solid and that warranty will be as good as a Taipan warranty
The company is solid, don't know about the engines, but Fox makes most of their money doing large scale machining and manufacturing machines as a subcontract to others. They have in fact manufactured gas two stroke engines under other labels, their two stroke gas engines are some of the better ones.

As for apperance, that is the eye of the beholder, but Duke himself admitted they were not the most attractive. Much of that is in the finish, they don't do as much to make it look nice. Do wish they would make better mufflers though. Also if they could refine their carbs, not enought to just work well, it woudl be nice if they had retainers that stayed tight, and needles that didn't leak.

The warranty isn't advertised, don't know why, but if you send one to them they do not charge labor, and they fix it for free if the part is deffective or no parts were used. Soemtimes the engine is so old that parts are no longer made. Often they will repair your engine with parts available but not offered online. Always great service.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

BTW,

Hobbsy recently opened this up to help someone with their overheating problems yet someone continues to bash. Can individuals be locked out instead of threads?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:08 AM
RaceCity

I second the motion.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:09 AM
rambler53

Well, I'm dumping this item, you may want it for $9.00 Item number: 6013093854. It wouldn't sell on RCU. Where were you guys? Fox is extremely unpopular. IF the service is so great, why troubleshoot a Fox .50 overheating issue when you could send it in and have them figure it out?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:15 AM
rambler53

Fox answered my email in about 15 minutes.

.45 is $105.60, and the .46 ABC is $112.20. That's if you buy directly from us. There's a website you can go to, where there's a wealth of information on Fox motors. It's flitelinesolutions.com . You can find out almost anything you want to know about our motors on that website.
Thank you,
Becky Miller,
Customer Service
Fox Manufacturing
Old 11-15-2005, 11:36 AM
rambler53

http://flitelinesolutions.com/projects.html has Project improvements to the Fox engine overheating issues, which seem to be a notorious fault of several engines. Read the information and good luck with fixing the overheating problem. PROJECT #1 covers it in detail...shim the head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.