FOX 50 runs HOT

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:37 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FOX 50 runs HOT

An Important Final Note:
It is important that your engine still be in good condition before employing these modifications. The tendency to run hot can result in an engine that is "fried" in very few flights as the frustrated pilot tries over and over again to get a complete flight without a flameout. Your Eagle .60 should have strong, snappy, compression when you flip it over. If this is no longer the case, you will likely need a rebuild first. The modified head button, or shims, cannot be expected to cure a worn or damaged engine.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:39 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Further reading suggests switching to a replacement Perry carb.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I had an Eagle .60 that would repeatedly quit just above idle, I cured it myself by countersinking the glow plug so it went farther into the combustion chamber, I made it so the entire idle bar was down in the combustion chamber and yet still a safe distance from the piston. No more problem.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Hobbsy

I had an Eagle .60 that would repeatedly quit just above idle, I cured it myself by countersinking the glow plug so it went farther into the combustion chamber, I made it so the entire idle bar was down in the combustion chamber and yet still a safe distance from the piston. No more problem.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<i>Further reading suggests switching to a replacement Perry carb.</i>

I bought my first Fox R/C engine with a Perry carb because I was told that Fox had lousy carbs. Never could get it to run right. So one day a I bought a used Fox engine with an extra MKX carb, put it on the Fox and it ran great from then on. The Perry carb ran great on an old HP engine with a broken carb. Go figure?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned and run many Fox's, all great engines with better power and longer lasting than most others, most bang for buck available back in the 50', 60's and 70's. You do have to read and follow directions though as the carbs were different, not bad, just different and needed to be used as directed. Also, 5% max on nitro and at least 22% castor oil. An excellent engine for those who read and followed instructions.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Woody 51

Hi Guys,
I'm back again. Work commitments have kept me away from my fav website, though I have also managed to destroy a ST G.51, in a 200 foot to ground level "Splot!", since I last logged on. (Crook aileron servo!)

Glad to see that the thread is back on track and some great info is being exchanged.

I am one of 2 who run Fox's at my club and yes, we both have had our share of frustration in the past. One thing I did learn about Fox engines was that some operating procedures that worked on other brands, didn't neccessarily work with a Fox. (Sort of like the differences found between "hotting up" a Chevy and the old Ford "Cleveland" line)

I had to go back to my C/L days of many moons ago when I used to run a Fox .35, before I finally figured out my Fox .40's and .45R.
I don't have a problem with either now. I can leave my Fox's "in the shed" for months and then get 'em out and fire 'em up 2nd flick and never have to touch the carby needle.

I have more powerful engines in my "stable" than some of my Fox's, but I like to match the engine with the potential performance of the model that they are powering. No point installing an MVVS .49 with tuned muffler, (or silencer), into a Trainer, when a Fox.45R will be quite adequate.

And I did have to turn to George over at Fliteline Solutions to sort out my Eagle IV .74 Ring. His alternate head button design for this engine does work very well.

"K" (Pleased to meet you by the way,) I agree with you that MVVS is a "pearler" of an engine brand, I have several now (and Dar Zealon has helped me no end in understanding them. This website is so lucky having guys like Dar as contributors.) and will be adding more in the future.

And yes, as you say, the "FX" was better "on the Barby." But mate, it didn't taste nearly as good as the Shrimp! A bit hard and metallic!

Turning to OS, (I did use OS engines also in my C/L days. Didn't even have to fit a muffler back then) they have a marketing department that many other businesses around the world would kill for and their spares back up was and still is, excellent.
But my humble opinion is, that OS reached the peak of their design with the FSR series.
Once Ogawa San went to the Great Flying Field in the sky, those that have followed him in the design department at OS, have found it somewhat hard to walk in his footsteps.

Same situation over at Fox since Duke passed away.

Charles Thacker has had plenty of time to sort out the niggling problems with some of the Fox line, (caused mainly by Duke's fiddling with Higher Compression in his motors) and also come up with a decent, flexible Twin Needle carby. Incidentally, this latter project was started, but has now been abandoned. The few TN Carbys (Fox part no #2600) that they produced for "C " Frame engines, worked well, but suffered some QC problems with machining etc.

Methinks Mr Thacker has seen the steady "Asianisation" of the (much flooded) model 2 stroke market, that has gobbled up Super Tigre and Irvine (maybe, - no one quite knows what the situation with Irvine is at this time.) Also the arrival of larger Brushless Electric motors and Lipo batteries and so has decided to concentrate on Glow Plugs and developing the new range of large scale Fox Gasoline Engines.

He has to keep an eye on the company's future survival, so no point in spending large amounts of development $$$, when ones market is not all that big. What they make works pretty well and keeps their client base happy, most of the time!
(Almost like a Cottage Industry.)

In finishing, did Crazy4Flight, ever sort out his overheating .50?

Old 11-17-2005, 03:51 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Woody 51

Hi Guys,
I'm back again. Work commitments have kept me away from my fav website, though I have also managed to destroy a ST G.51, in a 200 foot to ground level "Splot!", since I last logged on. (Crook aileron servo!)

Glad to see that the thread is back on track and some great info is being exchanged.

I am one of 2 who run Fox's at my club and yes, we both have had our share of frustration in the past. One thing I did learn about Fox engines was that some operating procedures that worked on other brands, didn't neccessarily work with a Fox. (Sort of like the differences found between "hotting up" a Chevy and the old Ford "Cleveland" line)

I had to go back to my C/L days of many moons ago when I used to run a Fox .35, before I finally figured out my Fox .40's and .45R.
I don't have a problem with either now. I can leave my Fox's "in the shed" for months and then get 'em out and fire 'em up 2nd flick and never have to touch the carby needle.

I have more powerful engines in my "stable" than some of my Fox's, but I like to match the engine with the potential performance of the model that they are powering. No point installing an MVVS .49 with tuned muffler, (or silencer), into a Trainer, when a Fox.45R will be quite adequate.

And I did have to turn to George over at Fliteline Solutions to sort out my Eagle IV .74 Ring. His alternate head button design for this engine does work very well.

"K" (Pleased to meet you by the way,) I agree with you that MVVS is a "pearler" of an engine brand, I have several now (and Dar Zealon has helped me no end in understanding them. This website is so lucky having guys like Dar as contributors.) and will be adding more in the future.

And yes, as you say, the "FX" was better "on the Barby." But mate, it didn't taste nearly as good as the Shrimp! A bit hard and metallic!

Turning to OS, (I did use OS engines also in my C/L days. Didn't even have to fit a muffler back then) they have a marketing department that many other businesses around the world would kill for and their spares back up was and still is, excellent.
But my humble opinion is, that OS reached the peak of their design with the FSR series.
Once Ogawa San went to the Great Flying Field in the sky, those that have followed him in the design department at OS, have found it somewhat hard to walk in his footsteps.

Same situation over at Fox since Duke passed away.

Charles Thacker has had plenty of time to sort out the niggling problems with some of the Fox line, (caused mainly by Duke's fiddling with Higher Compression in his motors) and also come up with a decent, flexible Twin Needle carby. Incidentally, this latter project was started, but has now been abandoned. The few TN Carbys (Fox part no #2600) that they produced for "C " Frame engines, worked well, but suffered some QC problems with machining etc.

Methinks Mr Thacker has seen the steady "Asianisation" of the (much flooded) model 2 stroke market, that has gobbled up Super Tigre and Irvine (maybe, - no one quite knows what the situation with Irvine is at this time.) Also the arrival of larger Brushless Electric motors and Lipo batteries and so has decided to concentrate on Glow Plugs and developing the new range of large scale Fox Gasoline Engines.

He has to keep an eye on the company's future survival, so no point in spending large amounts of development $$$, when ones market is not all that big. What they make works pretty well and keeps their client base happy, most of the time!
(Almost like a Cottage Industry.)

In finishing, did Crazy4Flight, ever sort out his overheating .50?
--------------------------------------------------------

Most Fox engines are "old paradygm" designs. This does not make them bad. Just different.

I used to get a kick out of how far Duke would go to incorporate as many "features" as he could in a casting, instead of relying upon machining and additional parts. An example would be the carb fuel nipple on the seventies engines equipped with non airbleed carbs.

I recently purchased a used Fox .50. I've always wanted one, but never got around to buying one before. I'm still deciding whether I am going to convert it to Diesel operation.

Running Fox engines without lots of castor oil in the fuel usually leads to overheating and poor running. That is the single biggest "secret" to successfully running Fox engines. Even the ball bearing, ABC engines. All Foxes need castor oil.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:57 AM
injunnut1

krosypal said this: 'And why have unpleasant experiences in the hobby more than necessary?"

Which begs me to ask: 'What in the Hay are you doing on this thread' ..... I surely do pity the poor souls who are forced to deal with the likes of you on a daily basis!
Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 PM
PlaneKrazee

I remember an old friend that had a new Fox 74 or 78 in a large Spitfire back in 1976. What a pilot, plane and engine! It was about a 72" plane and that engine had it cranking. Ernie, if your out there, you were the best pilot.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 AM
RaceCity

It's worth noting that the Fox #2600 TN carb is a VERY worthwhile upgrade for the .40 C-frame motors. On the outside, it's tough to
distinguish from the standard MKX TN carb, but it is indeed a significant improvement in that it's very easy to adjust (about the same as any really good TN carb), and the kicker is...it is DEAD CONSISTENT. Flight after flight...day after day...it holds settings accurately with no lean spots...no rich spots...just a nice clean mixture all the way from low idle to WOT. The flitelinesolutions.com site explains the workings of the carb in better detail, but let it suffice to say it's a fine unit!

$32.00 from Fox. Why this isn't installed on current production motors is a mystery, but it's definitely worth getting.

I love my Fox motors....every last one of them is a keeper!

'Race
Old 11-18-2005, 08:48 AM
fliteline

The #2600 carb. WAS pretty good for a Fox carb. Apparently, however, Fox has decided to discontinue it, along with development of the TN version for larger engines. Another Fox marketing mystery.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 AM
RaceCity

Oh say it isn't so....

'Race
Old 11-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Woody 51

That's right Race. The TN carby for the C frame Fox's is gone! And its promised bigger brother, part no 2700, was stillborn.
So if you have some 2600 TN's, hang onto em. You now have a rare item.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Sport_Pilot

Why they do that? Thacker likes to wacker the customer?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Woody 51

No, I suspect that Thacker is more interested in developing the Fox large scale Gasoline engine line.

If you look around, ARFs' are taking over and they are getting bigger and bigger. 1/4 scale ARF's are now common and well, what about an engine to power them?

The gasoline spark engine market only as a few players in it, whereas the small 2 stroke arena, now dominated by OS and the other cheaper Asian brands, has been flooded for years. Fox is now only a minor player in it really and certainly has little or no presence outside the North American Continent.

So to ensure the future survival of Fox, Thacker has obviously made a "bottom line" decision and gone with where he can make Fox a dominant player. Unfortunately, this is partially at the expense of the Fox 2 stroke line, as his budget would not be a bottomless pit.

Otherwise, long term it would see Fox going the way of K & B, Irvine etc.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:44 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Ed,
what is a paradygm design? Never heard of it and I am curious

For my two cents worth I'd love to have a Fox 50. I fly Foxes just because they are different. I've found them strong, well running and work great on cheap no nitro fuel. If Fox would make one for a price similar to a .45 I'd probably buy.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Woody 51

Badg,
Fox will make you a .50 Ring BB to special order. Not sure what the pricing would be though. Why not contact them and see? Cost you nothing!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:04 AM
NM2K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: badger5964

Ed,
what is a paradygm design? Never heard of it and I am curious

For my two cents worth I'd love to have a Fox 50. I fly Foxes just because they are different. I've found them strong, well running and work great on cheap no nitro fuel. If Fox would make one for a price similar to a .45 I'd probably buy.
--------------------

Paradym = paradigm, when I hit the right key, it comes out spelled correctly. <G>

Old paradigm, in my way of thinking, means different metallurgy and a different way of thinking about how long an engine should last, how loud it should run, how powerful it should be, etc. It also has to do with the crankcase format (size). Many of Fox's engines were designed in the seventies and updated very little during the years that followed. Duke's reliance upon castor oil lubricant is "old paradigm" to me. Why a ball bearing engine with a piston ring will run better with castor lube than synthetic is a mystery to me. But Duke's engines were set up that way. I suspect that he knew a lot more about alloy/lubricant combinations than most folks making engines know today. I do see some efforts that I am convinced are attempts to copy his success (Magnum/ASP).

I owned and flew one of his early, large crankcase "wart" .45 size engines. It had a nasty looking dimple on the outside of the intake channel. It was extremely powerful and high revving, but the darned thing would just quit absolutely dead for no reason that I could ascertain. This was very unpredictable. It was a ringed engine. I never did figure out why it would quit like that. The glow plug was good afterwards and the fuel system was okay. Just one of those things. No signs of micro welds on the liner, etc.

Another example would be the Fox Eagle .60. It was an under square design, meaning that the stroke dimension was greater than the bore dimension.

My Eagle .60 would not rev up all that high, but the darned thing did not slow down anywhere near as much as a high rpm .60 two-stroke while climbing. Its performance was very much like a four-stroke in that regard. My Kaos 60 would not take off of our grass field with an 11x7 prop. The Eagle only spun up to 10.5k rpm. Switching to an 11x8 (old paradigm) would haul the Kaos .60 off the grand in no time. Take off, point the nose up and watch the heavy 7.5 lbs. Kaos disappear into the air above.

Fox beat OS in developing the long strong engine (OS RF and SF) by nearly a decade.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Hobbsy

This is my latest Fox aquisition, a .74, it came with a Perry carb and a Fox airbleed carb, I removed the perry and mounted the Fox carb, no issues when running. It came with the stock Fox head button and an A. J. Coholic head button, I ran it first with the stock one, again no issues, I have the AJC button installed now but have not run it. I basically gave it a Saito style break in for 45 minutes, I won't try full throttle until another 1/2 hour.

Woops, I had a moron moment and forgot the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70793.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	356925  
Old 11-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Woody 51

Dave, Please give us all a report back when you have tried the AJC button. I for one am interested in your observations.
I installed a button turned up to the Fliteline Solutions Design, in my .74 and it runs really sweet. (It has the TN MKX Carby)
Just gotta find an airframe to put the motor in now, after I sold the previous one.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Hobbsy

Will do, Thanks
Old 11-20-2005, 03:19 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The first Fox 50 I saw was being put down by other club members. This was shortly after PGF Chinn had his carb series in MAN. Whwn I was asked by the owner if I could get it to run, since I was showing good operation on my 45s, I just did what was recomended by Chinn, and also in the instructions and in Fox's adds. Set the MK-X to the starting point in the instructions and his adds, started the engine, and using a tach, set the engine to a decent 2000 rpm idle, then set the high end to 13200. Got a surprise when I found out the gentleman was using an 11-8 prop. When he got back from wintering in Florida, someone there had tuned it a little better, maybe got it broken in a little better, and it was turning 13800. And no loading up at idle, even for extended ground runs.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:36 AM
Woody 51

13,800 on an 11 x 8? Wow!
I could get 13,600 on my ST G.51's spinning a Master Scimitar 11 x 7, but would never consider an 11 x 8 on them.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:02 PM
freelen

Obviously, you never used any Fox engines....I have an old 36X that will still run with the best of the jap crap ........and I also have an old .78 that will hold its own with most any thing that ya wanna talk about......and I would not trade it for a whole truck full of the over priced, under powerd 4 stroke stuff that seems to be all the rage.....and just received a 50 year anniversary Stunt .35 today that will go on a new Top Flite Flite Streak for a lil c/l fun....
As for the .50 that is running hot, back off on the nitro to 5% and run about 20 22%percent oil and your .50 will cool down and run like a scalded dog.....BTW, even a 50/50 castor/synthetic blend will work fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.