Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I never use a special tank, any tank will do and I don't use any clips on the fuel lines or anything else. I have never had a tank burst. A third line for filling is a good idea and use a tee with a plug in it to vent while filling.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FNQFLYER

If you mount the engine (say upright) in the correct position (assuming the mount is correctly aligned), all will be well if you mount the same engine the same way on the bottom of the mount then you have thrust line problems.
While mounting the engine on the bottom will change the location of the thrust line, it will not change the direction of the thrust line.

Some airframes may be more sensitive to this relocation while others are not. Trim can be used to compensate in many cases.

For example, the Tiger Moth & Gypsy moth are similar airframes but the Tiger Moth has the engine inverted (high thrust line) while the Gypsy Moth has the engine mounted upright. (low thrust line)

Many aircraft do not have the thrust line "centered" (vertically) in the fuselage.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snr Telemaster, re the two moths, check the actual thrust lines on both you will find while  that the decolage set up is the same "relatively speaking the fuselages are not actually the same even though they look it.  A common trap for young players. 
Check the decolage and thrust lines and you will find in each case the distance from the ground to the line drawn from the engine crank shaft  to the tailplane and the line between the 2 being parallel to the ground is different.in height from the ground 
Having restored both (actually assisted in the restoration) and I was amazed in the differences between these two similar appearing a/c.
Raising the thrust line above or below the mean has a definite effect on a/c performance. I agree this can be compensated with trim but why build it in in the first place??
A book I had to study called Kernodes Principals of Flight for Mechanics gives a better explanation, as does the original rigging books for both a/c.  If you search you can find them or visit some time after I settle and I will give you a look at the originals. (books that is)  Finally any body around Caboolture QLD can see flying examples of both and they are distinctly different a/c when you get up close and personal.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 PM
RH

To all those who are interested in learning the finer arts of tuning engines (what ever the breed)....
I was hoping to learn a lot by buying a copy of "A Guide To Saito Model 4 - Strokes" but I haven't had much luck. The only source I could find was RCMPlans. I ordered that book and a couple of other items and found out after the fact that they are still accepting orders (and immediately charging your credit card) but they are not shipping anything. Apparently they had some problems and have been making many excuses if you're lucky enough to get them to answer their phone. There are several active threads about this in the various forums and some folks have received their orders thay are many months old. I'm not holding out hope for getting my order, or a refund.

Anyway, I guess my bottom line is, does anyone know of another source for this book?

Rick...
Old 06-20-2013, 05:59 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: RH

To all those who are interested in learning the finer arts of tuning engines (what ever the breed)....
I was hoping to learn a lot by buying a copy of ''A Guide To Saito Model 4 - Strokes'' but I haven't had much luck. The only source I could find was RCMPlans. I ordered that book and a couple of other items and found out after the fact that they are still accepting orders (and immediately charging your credit card) but they are not shipping anything. Apparently they had some problems and have been making many excuses if you're lucky enough to get them to answer their phone. There are several active threads about this in the various forums and some folks have received their orders thay are many months old. I'm not holding out hope for getting my order, or a refund.

Anyway, I guess my bottom line is, does anyone know of another source for this book?

Rick...
Simple solution, file a dispute W/your credit card company.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I live around too many hills and trees for OT Texaco, but I enjoy reading about the things you guys do. In your case, the thrust line location is a big deal. I'd like to watch you set up and get tuned for flying.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM
FNQFLYER

I have said before the 2nd hand section of Amazon and E Bay are good places to start.  The hunt is worth it as is the companion OS book.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM
FNQFLYER

blw, check out the SAM international ite to see where our US cousins hang out, as I remember there is a chapter near you.   I like to think O/T flyers are the last true model builders (not necessarily so but we do do every thing some even make their own engines from old plans.  But in saying that I have got to own up to the fact that one of the Vintagents actually got a set of 85% Bomber kits made all ARF.  Bloody things were the sweetest version I have ever owned.
Our section of the hobby is probably the most satisfying and almost all encompassing section of model a/c flying around.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:28 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hey barry your post worked
Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Rudolph Hart

I was hoping to learn a lot by buying a copy of ''A Guide To Saito Model 4 - Strokes'' but I haven't had much luck. The only source I could find was RCMPlans. I ordered that book and a couple of other items and found out after the fact that they are still accepting orders (and immediately charging your credit card) but they are not shipping anything. Apparently they had some problems and have been making many excuses if you're lucky enough to get them to answer their phone. There are several active threads about this in the various forums and some folks have received their orders thay are many months old. I'm not holding out hope for getting my order, or a refund.

Rick...
You might try looking up brian winch on amazon or here in australia.If you mean you would like to undestand how they FEEL to work on and tune this is a good beginning,best of luck.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 AM
RH

SrT... I had considered a claim with the CC company, but on the long shot that I might eventually get the book I decided to gamble and wait. There are some reports of items being shipped. For example, one guy who had placed and order last December suddenly received his plans after having given up and forgotten about it.

FNQ... The OS companion book was one of the other items. Although I'm primarily Saito, I do have an FT-1.60 twin on a 1.4 scale SIG Cub.

Old Fart... Good point on Brian Winch. Although I used to turn to his columns first in RC Reports, I hadn't thought about contacting him now. Do you know if he is writing columns for any other publications now?

Rick...
Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 AM
SrTelemaster150

SrT... I had considered a claim with the CC company, but on the long shot that I might eventually get the book I decided to gamble and wait. There are some reports of items being shipped. For example, one guy who had placed and order last December suddenly received his plans after having given up and forgotten about it.

It's only a photocopy of the original.

If I can find mine I could send you a copy if you would pay the copy costs & shipping.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 AM
RH

[/quote]
It's only a photocopy of the original.

If I can find mine I could send you a copy if you would pay the copy costs & shipping.
[/quote]

I do appreciate your offer. Before you go to the trouble though, first let me see if any of the other leads I'm chasing down pan out. I'll definitely keep your offer in mind.

Rick...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:24 PM
FNQFLYER

Brian Wich writes for Airborne, and a couple og pommiee mags (forgot the names)
Re the OS and Saito books, once obtained one should never let them out of your sight.  They are extremely good reference books for the older Saitos and OS engines and are highly sort after and that is only the model a/c people.  I was offered $50 for a set of surplus ones I had and that was all he had in his wallet at the time.  These were original print ones.  I also have a set of old parts catalogues for OS, Enya and Saito engines (up to 1999 I think) all good stuff to have. 
Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Hobbsy

Saito gents, I made what I consider to be quite a find today, I was looking through some unfinished planes today and found one I couldn't figure its identity. As I was examining it I saw where I had written Sig Midstar on the back of the firewall. I found the manual, it is mostly built and I found all the components. Even some of the leading edges etc are sanded to shape. Its a perfect place for my old Saito .40. Ailerons still need to be cut and the ends shaped and hinged.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31805.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1893869  
Old 06-21-2013, 02:58 PM
FNQFLYER

Lucky you goes up there with mu Flyline kits I guess.  It is truly amazing what you find when you have a big move.  Consider a 50 litre plastic container full of Dubro product (all new) similar one of wheels and another of fuel tanks.  As I said all new in box scarey.  I have found old Sterling kits, Wings kits and 4 of the old Goodyear Class F1 pylon racer kits to name but some of the "old stuff" 
Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Rudolph Hart

That looks like a very strong wing and the turboheader really does look like a slim exhaust system from that angle.

rh i will look up brians email addy and post it here,hope he does'nt mind.For a guy that busy at his age he sure is chirpy and most willing to have a helpful chat just don't clog his email up with high res pix.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Rudolph Hart

Brians email is;[email protected]
Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 PM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

Its been a while since i put up a post. I hope you didn't miss me. Just wanted to let you know that i am putting a Saito 125 on a Sig 4 Star 60. Has anyone ever flown this plane with this engine.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Pete, every once in a while you'll see a complaint about the Cline or IronBay in that you cannot make an engine sloppy rich because as you say it gives the engine what it demands. You can however richen it enough to slow it down a little. Since there is no leaning as the tank empties there is no need for 300 rpm richer than peak. The Cline is a winner all the way around. This is my overdone for fun 1.30 wearing two Clines. At one point I had tw TurboHeaders on it also.

Hi Dave,

My FA130t has the straight unmuffled pipes on it now. Would Turboheaders improve it's performance and/or muffle it[]? Would I use the Turboheader for the FA65?

Thanks and Happy Independence Day to You and Yours.

VBR, Richard
Old 06-29-2013, 05:43 AM
RH

Old Fart...

I gave the e-mail address for Brian Winch a try, but it kicked back. Apparently that one is no longer in service. I'll keep hunting to see if I can get through to him.

Rick...
Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM
FNQFLYER

According to lates airborne, Brian Winches address is [email protected], not .com.au.   Old fart wasprobaly imbibing on some of the Margret River red or similar when it wrote his version.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Hobbsy

Richard, maybe one of these days I can borrow your engine and check that out. I had them on mine but didn't do a comparo, my bad.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:26 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

I'm just getting used to a Saito 100. It's running an APC 15 x 6 prop and I'm at about 1200' elevation. What should I expect for WOT and idle with probably a gallon through the engine? I've gone through the tuning procedure and noticed the low speed needed to be leaned out quite a bit from where it was. For WOT, I richen the mixture about 200 rpm. At mid throttle, I leave a very noticeable smoke trail! Oh yes, fuel is Wildcat 15%. I did the low speed tuning without glow heat but I do use on-board glow when flying.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:31 PM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: RC_Fanatic

I'm just getting used to a Saito 100. It's running an APC 15 x 6 prop and I'm at about 1200' elevation. What should I expect for WOT and idle with probably a gallon through the engine? I've gone through the tuning procedure and noticed the low speed needed to be leaned out quite a bit from where it was. For WOT, I richen the mixture about 200 rpm. At mid throttle, I leave a very noticeable smoke trail! Oh yes, fuel is Wildcat 15%. I did the low speed tuning without glow heat but I do use on-board glow when flying.
Sounds like you have it on the nail head. I just returned from a day of flying my Funtana 125 with a Saito 1.25 4s. Half throttle left a beautiful smoke trail. At full throttle the smoke trail was a little less. I am using Wildcat 15%. Not much difference between the settings of the Saito 1.00 and the Saito 1.25. Keep flying and enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.