Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 03-03-2014, 05:00 PM
  #26276  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I've seen plenty of gas & diesel engines blow black smoke but never an engine burning glow fuel.

Of course I've never run one that was in very poor mechanical condition either.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 03-04-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:45 PM
  #26277  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I've always smiled when i hear the term "the engine self-destructed".It's like..what happened? did the engine suddenly grow a long muscular arm,quickly reach over to your workshop bench top and grab the largest hammer there and then enthusiastically beat itself to death,or there abouts? guess that rules the operator out
Old 03-04-2014, 02:53 PM
  #26278  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

No old fart, one they weren't my engines (most important point) and in both cases they came apart in the air. One was a dual plug 120 that lost the prop, and the resultant over speed did the rest, (The owner advanced the throttle as the a/c lost airspeed) the other I forget the circumstances. The best (for me) self destruct was a McCoy 60 on steroids with a pacifer (dummy here in Oz) fuel tank in duration. It launched and at about 50ft the cylinder parted company with the crankcase, in the process the conrod destroyed what remained og the crank case. I beat the guy (first time ever) made all the sweeter because I was using a Saito 65 (on steroids) which he rubbished the hell out of
Old 03-05-2014, 03:34 AM
  #26279  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Open Up a Can of Whoop Aaarrzz, FA220 Vs FA180HC CDI

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Lets open a can of woop aaarrzz here.. i'll run my 220 at 10% nitro with a mas 20x8 classic against your 180 hdbbcxyl on the same prop.Would be good fun,now i understand what barry was saying re smooth throttle applications in a vertical climb,nice rolling prop torque too.
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
Post your RPM.
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Got a 20x8 mas classic to swing on your 180?
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
No but I might just get 1 when I place my next order. Only a little over $12.

Interpolation says that it should swing a 20 X 8 about 7450 on 15%, 7750 on 30%. The 18x8 is a bit small, the 20x8 should get the engine into a good torque RPM.

I have 22x8 Zinger & a 22X10 Xoar


Hey Old Fart, I picked up a MAS Classic 20 X 10 a while back, but its been below 0F for months W/no immediate relief in sight.

Hopefully the frozen tundra will thaw soon & your hot temperatures will moderate @ the same time giving each of us a somewhat level playing field.

How about we shoot for sometime around the vernal equinox or @ a time when the ambient temperatures are somewhat equal for both of us.

In addition to maximum RPM, I think we should consider fuel consumption as a performance factor. That way, if the engines are somewhat equal in power, fuel consumption will determine the winner.

Here is what I propose. 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of all we should start a dedicated thread in the Glow Engines forum, perhaps Open Up a Can of Whoop Aaarrzz, FA220 Vs FA180HC CDI.

Both of us will start W/8oz of fuel, preferable in the same Sullivan 8oz tank. Fill until the vent line overflows, start the engine & stop watch, then run @ high idle for 30 seconds, then go WOT. At the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] sign of surging, stop the stopwatch & shut the engine down.

Heres how I propose the scoring:

Score 10 point for every 100 RPM of sustained maximum. Example: 7450 RPM will be given 745 points.

Score 10 points for every minute of run time. Example: 6 minutes 45 seconds would score (10X 6.75) 67.5 points.

This will give about 8% weight on fuel economy & 92% for maximum sustained RPM in this particular instance.

What do ya think?.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 03-05-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM
  #26280  
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 2,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Jeez, that sounds like the old four letter word I hate...... WORK!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
  #26281  
coffeemug
Member
My Feedback: (6)
 
coffeemug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Old Fart
I've always smiled when i hear the term "the engine self-destructed".It's like..what happened? did the engine suddenly grow a long muscular arm,quickly reach over to your workshop bench top and grab the largest hammer there and then enthusiastically beat itself to death,or there abouts? guess that rules the operator out
At the moment that strikes me as the funniest thing I've heard in a very long time, it made my day... I was going to post a question about how to obtain/replace the prop driver on an old FA 120 I'm having a stare down with, but I think I'll just offer it a large hammer.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
  #26282  
flyingagin
 
flyingagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 2,544
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by coffeemug
At the moment that strikes me as the funniest thing I've heard in a very long time, it made my day... I was going to post a question about how to obtain/replace the prop driver on an old FA 120 I'm having a stare down with, but I think I'll just offer it a large hammer.


Ken
Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 PM
  #26283  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I thought about your post for a few minutes wondering how to respond.I think the seperate thread and the name is quite a funny idea and would probably need to be refereed by the moderators in the interests of harmony.Equinox is a couple of weeks away or next september i think,but as far as people here are concerned they may have to change the dates as our summers are getting later and later,and with more humidity.

I'm mostly laid back (read lazy) in my approach to modelling and am more into flying them as opposed to bench running or experimentation tho your proposition is interesting.The americas cup defence team should have had someone like you writing the rules back in the 70's and 80's when they were trying to keep the cup.Dennis connor would have welcomed you with open arms.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:01 PM
  #26284  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Equinox is a couple of weeks away or next september i think,but as far as people here are concerned they may have to change the dates as our summers are getting later and later,and with more humidity.
Our vernal equinox is your 1st day of fall so it's only a few weeks away. When ever your ambient temperatures reach similar values to ours (say 20C/68F) would be a fair test. Humidity is always high here as the St.Regis river is only about 70 yds from my shop & the confluence W/the mighty St lawrence is only 13 road mile away. Altitude

It's going to -20F here tonight, but since we are @ 45 N latitude, spring will come in a rush. Usually by mid April we have moderated temperature & the trout fishing is picking up.

I don't see the moderators having a problem W/a sperate thread in the Glow Engines forum. I thiink this is all in fun & it would be interesting. I would be very gratified if I could make similar power to your FA220. I think the results will be very close either way. You have the displacement advantage while I have migher compression & stable, adjustable ignition timing that will allow more precise tuning.

Perhaps BLW will chime in as far as this being acceptable & "harmonious"..

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 03-05-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
  #26285  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Gee all the above because of a poor old dual plug 120 blowing apart in the air. Unreal
Old 03-06-2014, 02:06 AM
  #26286  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Gee all the above because of a poor old dual plug 120 blowing apart in the air. Unreal

Don't flatter yourself, the gauntlet was thrown down by Old Fart weeks ago.

Didn't you notice that the post started out W/snips from previous posts.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:30 PM
  #26287  
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)
 
Broken Wings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,090
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blw
Dan, I think most of the arguments against castor are from the old days when people ran 100% castor, and FAI rules. But there is no argument that castor prevents rust and protects better above something like 475 F lean runs. Of course you are going to get some build up using too much and running engines smoking rich all the time. So, pick your poison. Some build up if you run too rich with 100% castor, or burnt up engines and rust if you run too lean with 100% synthetics.
Cool Power only has 17% lube. All the Saito instruction manuals tell you to use a fuel with 20% lube. Morgan just came out with a new Cool Power "MV" Muti Viscosity that's 18% lube.

If you go with the Cool Power "Pro Pattern" your up to 20% Nitro....$$$$

http://morganfuel.com/coolpower_performance_detail

The only down side to not using Cool Power is you don't get to take your engines apart and take pictures of all the parts to post on the forums.....
Old 03-06-2014, 04:44 PM
  #26288  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Broken Wings
Cool Power only has 17% lube. All the Saito instruction manuals tell you to use a fuel with 20% lube. Morgan just came out with a new Cool Power "MV" Muti Viscosity that's 18% lube.

If you go with the Cool Power "Pro Pattern" your up to 20% Nitro....$$$$

http://morganfuel.com/coolpower_performance_detail

The only down side to not using Cool Power is you don't get to take your engines apart and take pictures of all the parts to post on the forums.....
The instruction manuals also state that if you can't get 20% lube, a good 2-stroke fuel can be used & Cool Power has been spec'ed as acceptable since I bought my 1st FA150 in 1996. I have never had a fuel related failure & again you are not paying attention to what I post.

The up side of running synthetic lube is that you don't have to dismantle & clean the castor varnish as so many castorholics advocate.

The upside to running CDI is that you need about 1/2 as much lube as when running W/the unstable ignition timing of glow ignition.

I am currently looking for a cost effective way to reduce the lube to 10%.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 03-06-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 PM
  #26289  
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 2,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
The instruction manuals also state that if you can't get 20% lube, a good 2-stroke fuel can be used & Cool Power has been spec'ed as acceptable since I bought my 1st FA150 in 1996. I have never had a fuel related failure & again you are not paying attention to what I post.

The up side of running synthetic lube is that you don't have to dismantle & clean the castor varnish as so many castorholics advocate.

The upside to running CDI is that you need about 1/2 as much lube as when running W/the unstable ignition timing of glow ignition.

I am currently looking for a cost effective way to reduce the lube to 10%.
Buy 3 'carboys' and fill 2 of them with methanol. Buy a galleon of nitro and put 1/2 in the empty carboy, and then add 2 gals of whatever fuel you want and 2 galleons of methanol. That should give you 8 to 9% oil and at least 10% nitro. If you want more oil, add it.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 PM
  #26290  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Buy 3 'carboys' and fill 2 of them with methanol. Buy a galleon of nitro and put 1/2 in the empty carboy, and then add 2 gals of whatever fuel you want and 2 galleons of methanol. That should give you 8 to 9% oil and at least 10% nitro. If you want more oil, add it.
What the heck is a "carboy"?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 PM
  #26291  
the pope
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: goolwasa, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

google is your friend !!!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 PM
  #26292  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Snt Tele, you could do like the smart arses do and dry sump your engines means you can run down to about a notional 10% oil. BTB I assume that all know that "20% oil" means 20% by volume, the viscosity has nothing to do with it. Me I use the Cool Power heli oil "good stuff"
Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 AM
  #26293  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Every morning I stumble in here with my cup of coffee and get on RCU. I'm going to spray my keyboard one morning if you guys don't stop!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 AM
  #26294  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Hey blw, what do you tnink about the "Open Up a Can of Whoop Aaarrzz, FA220 Vs FA180HC CDI" thread in the glow engines forums. There's a post above #26282 & Old Farts response a few posts down.

Just a friendly challenge by Old Fart & I accepted it, even invested in a 20 X 8 MAS Classic propeller.

PM me if you don't want to put out here on the forum.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM
  #26295  
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 2,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150

PM me if you don't want to put out here on the forum.
And all this time I thought that was a private issue!


and yes, I know that was a typo.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM
  #26296  
flyingagin
 
flyingagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 2,544
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blw
Every morning I stumble in here with my cup of coffee and get on RCU. I'm going to spray my keyboard one morning if you guys don't stop!
Well make sure the first thing that you turn on your camera first. We wan't to see the video, especially if you spew coffee out your nose onto the computer.

Ken
Old 03-07-2014, 12:30 PM
  #26297  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Dan, if you don't mind my answering that, if it concerns Saitos, go for it, I do comparo's every now and then. I may do one tomorrow using the 1.00 and a 14x7 ZOAR, a 15x6 ZOAR and with and without a TurboHeader. I am down to only one kind of fuel though, WildCat 15% Premium Extra.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 PM
  #26298  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
Hey blw, what do you tnink about the "Open Up a Can of Whoop Aaarrzz, FA220 Vs FA180HC CDI" thread in the glow engines forums. There's a post above #26282 & Old Farts response a few posts down.

Just a friendly challenge by Old Fart & I accepted it, even invested in a 20 X 8 MAS Classic propeller.

PM me if you don't want to put out here on the forum.
A new thread? Heck yeah, go for it. I think you should adopt a rule that says no hard feelings for who votes for who to win. It should be an APC prop though.......just saying..........
Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 PM
  #26299  
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)
 
Broken Wings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 2,090
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
The instruction manuals also state that if you can't get 20% lube, a good 2-stroke fuel can be used & Cool Power has been spec'ed as acceptable since I bought my 1st FA150 in 1996. I have never had a fuel related failure & again you are not paying attention to what I post.The up side of running synthetic lube is that you don't have to dismantle & clean the castor varnish as so many castorholics advocate.

The upside to running CDI is that you need about 1/2 as much lube as when running W/the unstable ignition timing of glow ignition.

I am currently looking for a cost effective way to reduce the lube to 10%.
You're correct.

You could probably get away with it if you used Castor Oil.....
Old 03-07-2014, 04:06 PM
  #26300  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,980
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Broken Wings
Cool Power only has 17% lube. All the Saito instruction manuals tell you to use a fuel with 20% lube. Morgan just came out with a new Cool Power "MV" Muti Viscosity that's 18% lube.

If you go with the Cool Power "Pro Pattern" your up to 20% Nitro....$$$$

http://morganfuel.com/coolpower_performance_detail

The only down side to not using Cool Power is you don't get to take your engines apart and take pictures of all the parts to post on the forums.....

I have been running all my engines on Wildcat, and they all are running perfectly. Its the only one that lists the oil content on the bottle when I was shopping for fuel. I run 15%. When I looked at Cool Power it doesnt list oil content, so I did not want to take a chance with it. The Wildcat is also $2 less expensive.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.