Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 08-03-2014, 06:10 AM
  #27176  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AeroFinn
Dan, what you say sounds very convincing. I can assure, however, that when in idle the barrel does not rotate as this is prevented by the servo provided with the linkage is appropriate. The barrel can still move back and forth in the carburettor body as the engine vibrates. In actual operation this may or may not have effect on changing idle mixture. In some installations it is like if you screw the LS screw in and out.

Further, I think there is a reason why my OS and Laser engines all have the barrel spring. And generally speaking, all the recent Saitos have the spring.

I do not want to make this a big thing so this is just how I see the matter. I am happy to stand corrected if I am wrong.

-Artto

Well, it is I that's stands corrected. I checked the FA-220 big bore carburetor & it does indeed move back & forth at all intermediate throttle position. Only at fully closed & fully open does it remain stationary when side load is applied.

As far as affecting idle? That doesn't seem to be the case on my FA-180HC that is fitted W/the same carburetor.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:49 PM
  #27177  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Saito 82 runs on petrol with an OS GGT plug fitted, just. It will need a bit of fiddling with the carby but the premise works. Now if it can be made to work efficiently (fingers crossed) we will have a standard i/c Saito 4 stroke that can run on petrol rather than a methanol mix. More efficient and opens new doors for Texaco event. Cost of "conversion" AUD 15.00
Old 08-03-2014, 03:35 PM
  #27178  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,992
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

I have had a VERY bad day. I took a few minutes to cool off from working outside by going to my shop which is in the basement, with the home AC going. I decided to clean off my 100 GK, and noticed the push rod tube had a slight bend, took the cover off and removed the pushrod, nice and straight, not touching the tube, so thats OK, so buttoned it all back up and cranked it around in my hand and felt air puffing against my hand, so started looking at the case and discovered the crash busted the case. I am not very happy at this moment. Now I have the hard part of finding a replacement case for it since this engine is no longer made.



JB weld is not going to fix that.

So my first question, how the heck do I get the shaft and bearings out? Looks like the outside collar(whatever its called) is pressed on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10409319_758835990825204_3568552211166507825_n.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	2019664  
Old 08-03-2014, 04:55 PM
  #27179  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Part #SAI100GK15

$59.06 from ADVANTAGE HOBBY

BTW, Saito still makes the FA-100 as well a the FA-30 & FA-40. Horizon Hobby just doesn't import them.

Here is the Saito single cylinder line-up from RC JAPAN

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 08-03-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 PM
  #27180  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,992
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

I found the parts at HH and have them on order. Since they are in the same state as me, should have them by Wednesday. Now to figure out how to remove the crank. Looks like the collet is wedge fitted, so that has to come off first, then the shaft can be pressed out, is this correct? I ordered new bearings, pushrod tubes, gaskets and case.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM
  #27181  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
I found the parts at HH and have them on order. Since they are in the same state as me, should have them by Wednesday. Now to figure out how to remove the crank. Looks like the collet is wedge fitted, so that has to come off first, then the shaft can be pressed out, is this correct? I ordered new bearings, pushrod tubes, gaskets and case.
You could have saved a few $$ getting it from Advantage.

You will need a puller to remove the prop hub. Don't waste your time on a battery terminal puller. Get at least a good quality 2-jaw puller, a 3-jaw is better.

With the case stripped, place it in the oven @ 300F for 30 minutes or so.

Take it out of the oven & immediately smack the back of the case squarely down onto a wooden block. The crank & rear bearing should come right out.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:41 PM
  #27182  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,992
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Free shipping, worked out to about $3 difference.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 PM
  #27183  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
Free shipping, worked out to about $3 difference.
How did you get free shipping on a small order?

HH has. $100 minimum & Advantage has a $75 minimum. Advantage used to have a $50 minimum but they raised it.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 AM
  #27184  
lonestoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: carmel, IN
Posts: 258
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi all,I'm running my Saito 91 on 15 percent nitro fuel and was wandering how do I get the engine to run faster,i set the motor with a tach at manufacturer setting and it runs great just not as zippy as a reg 2 stroke any suggestions
Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 AM
  #27185  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I tried to get 'lonestoner' and they would'nt give it to me but seriously,what numbers on what prop are you getting,it's interesting seeing what other people are doing,and how they are doing it.

Fnq thanks for the update on the os ggt plug did'nt know you were trying that in an 82.Is it the zama carb you can get for conversion to petrol someone here will know,from memory the standard carby does not handle petrol well.Looking forward to your progress reports mate.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:06 AM
  #27186  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Old Fart
I tried to get 'lonestoner' and they would'nt give it to me but seriously,what numbers on what prop are you getting,it's interesting seeing what other people are doing,and how they are doing it.

Fnq thanks for the update on the os ggt plug did'nt know you were trying that in an 82.Is it the zama carb you can get for conversion to petrol someone here will know,from memory the standard carby does not handle petrol well.Looking forward to your progress reports mate.
The ZAMA C1Q P8 8YA carburetor is used on the big block Saito conversions. The venturi would probably be too large for the FA-82. I'm not sure if there is a smaller version available.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 AM
  #27187  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,992
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
Part #SAI100GK15

$59.06 from ADVANTAGE HOBBY

BTW, Saito still makes the FA-100 as well a the FA-30 & FA-40. Horizon Hobby just doesn't import them.

Here is the Saito single cylinder line-up from RC JAPAN
I compared what I got to what they have and they are a few dollars lower, but if you dont know what you are looking for, you could get the wrong parts, which is why I went with HH. Parts will be at my house tomorrow too.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM
  #27188  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
I compared what I got to what they have and they are a few dollars lower, but if you dont know what you are looking for, you could get the wrong parts, which is why I went with HH. Parts will be at my house tomorrow too.

Advantage Hobby is in Champagne, Illinois. They pull directly from both Horizon & Tower Hobby's stock as well as others so they will have more options than any of them. If you place your order before 10:00 AM, they send a runner out to get the parts & it ships the same day.

They also have a very effective search engine. All I did was go into their "search by manufacturer", (Saito) "replacement parts" & typed in "crankcase". Once I saw the suffix was 32, I typed in SAI100GK32 & the part comes up.

All Saito part # start out SAI followed by the displacement, or in gas G then the displacement in CCs.

Once one becomes familiar W/the suffix #s it is very easy. Pistons are 06, wrist pins are 07, pin retainers are 08, rings are 09, valves are 46 & cylinders are 01 as examples off the top of my head.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 08-04-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:54 PM
  #27189  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Old Fart and others. Te plug is the one used in the OS GGT engine, as for the carby, that will be an on going matter. The engine runs, but not good enough (for me) to risk in a model, yet. I note your suggestions but we will probably (in the future) trial mods to various Saito carbies from surplus (read worn out) engines. It works which is the first step. Old Fart I hopoe you have your Bronze wings etc, moves at CASA and in action from the MAAA are going to cause us a degree of grief in the not to distant future. PM me if you want more info, this not the place.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:27 AM
  #27190  
VeeAte
Senior Member
 
VeeAte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Geraldton, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

What are the differences between the FA-50 and FA-56? Can I convert the FA-50 to FA-56 spec?
Reason I ask is I have both and would like to fit them to a twin.
Was hoping I could turn the FA-50 into an FA-56.

Failing that I will just get another FA-56.

Last edited by VeeAte; 08-05-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 AM
  #27191  
VeeAte
Senior Member
 
VeeAte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Geraldton, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Nevermind. I am already a member haha

Last edited by VeeAte; 08-05-2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:14 AM
  #27192  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

V8 they let me loose here so you'll be a shoe in,and if barry gives you an earlier number than mine i'll kill him.Welcome mate.

Sr telemaster is very good at modifying saito engines v8 and that's who i'd be asking.If it was up to me i'd say buy two 62's.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:37 AM
  #27193  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Acdc gravitas on the engine case mate,be like a brand new engine when you fix it tho

V8 you very funny guy lots of people read this thread in the glow forum and some spend the time to read what you say and think how they can give you a constructive answer,along with some black humour at times.It is very funny.So..my original answer was going to be put the mismatched 50 and 56 into the same twin and learn how to use the rudder for crying out loud thank you mother for the rabbit.That's an aussieism! an james woods always said never trust a word with ism on the end

So pard..do you really have a question about the upgrade of a 50 to 56 specs or are you dribbling ?
Old 08-06-2014, 04:15 AM
  #27194  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VeeAte
What are the differences between the FA-50 and FA-56? Can I convert the FA-50 to FA-56 spec?
Reason I ask is I have both and would like to fit them to a twin.
Was hoping I could turn the FA-50 into an FA-56.

Failing that I will just get another FA-56.
IF you could use the FA-56 case W/cylinder base shims, you would need a crank, piston, ring, rod, valves & wrist pin. That would cost you over $200.

if you would need to buy an FA-56 case, add another $ 26.

Sadly HH has discontinued the FA-56 but you can get one from RC JAPAN for $232.81 + shipping which is fast & reasonable.

Unfortunately, it would be a "B" type engine. (if that mattered)

Building an FA-56 GK from parts would cost almost as much, but at least you would have the same type engine albeit in the GK colored case/cylinder.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 08-06-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:27 AM
  #27195  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

I checked the MarketPlace, no .56's listed, not surprising because when they are listed they go almost immediately. There is one listed on the other RC site, just seach Saito in there Classifieds

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-06-2014 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 08-06-2014, 04:32 AM
  #27196  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VeeAte
What are the differences between the FA-50 and FA-56? Can I convert the FA-50 to FA-56 spec?
Reason I ask is I have both and would like to fit them to a twin.
Was hoping I could turn the FA-50 into an FA-56.

Failing that I will just get another FA-56.
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
IF you could use the FA-56 case W/cylinder base shims, you would need a crank, piston, ring, rod, valves & wrist pin. That would cost you over $200.

if you would need to buy an FA-56 case, add another $ 26.

Sadly HH has discontinued the FA-56 but you can get one from RC JAPAN for $232.81 + shipping which is fast & reasonable.

Unfortunately, it would be a "B" type engine. (if that mattered)

Building an FA-56 GK from parts would cost almost as much, but at least you would have the same type engine albeit in the GK colored case/cylinder.

OK, I just checked. The FA-50 & FA-56 have the same stroke so the case & crank could be used for both unless there is a difference in the crank journal size.

You really need to pull the backplate off both engines & make some measurements as far as rod length, crank journal diameter & case deck height.

Since they both use the same backplate, you can just measure the distance from the case deck to the OD of the backplate for for case deck height.. Also check the bore where the cylinder enters the case. You might have to machine that area, but it isn't expensive to do.

You might get away for under $150.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 AM
  #27197  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150;11855580

Sadly HH has discontinued the FA-56 but you can get one from[URL="https://rcjapan.net/saito-engines-engines-c-220_221/fa-56b-four-stroke-glow-engine-p-16546"
RC JAPAN[/URL] for $232.81 + shipping which is fast & reasonable.
IMO, that was an incredibly stupid decision by HH to discontinue the FA-56. That is a great price from Japan, Dan. The conversion rate for a new one from Hobbyplastic.com in the UK is $319. They were about par with the U.S. last year once you added the cheaper postage.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:30 AM
  #27198  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blw
IMO, that was an incredibly stupid decision by HH to discontinue the FA-56. That is a great price from Japan, Dan. The conversion rate for a new one from Hobbyplastic.com in the UK is $319. They were about par with the U.S. last year once you added the cheaper postage.
if you look through RC Japan's site, they even steel the FA-30 & FA-40 in the singles.

They still carry all of the multis except for the FA-300 TTDP which is a shame because the dual carbs make for a better balance between cylinders.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:28 AM
  #27199  
VeeAte
Senior Member
 
VeeAte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Geraldton, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,549
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
OK, I just checked. The FA-50 & FA-56 have the same stroke so the case & crank could be used for both unless there is a difference in the crank journal size.

You really need to pull the backplate off both engines & make some measurements as far as rod length, crank journal diameter & case deck height.

Since they both use the same backplate, you can just measure the distance from the case deck to the OD of the backplate for for case deck height.. Also check the bore where the cylinder enters the case. You might have to machine that area, but it isn't expensive to do.

You might get away for under $150.
Thanks for the info

I will have a look and see what I can do.
Otherwise will keep my eyes out for another FA-56

I do love my FA-50.
Runs solid as a rock.
Might have to look around for some .25-32 sized plans and build a ship just for it.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:28 AM
  #27200  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Thank you v8 for replying to the info sr supplied we all read what other people do and i find it informative and sometimes entertaining,it's what most of us are here for,it's interesting to compare what we all do.

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 08-09-2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling mistake,thank god i never fixed all the other ones :)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.