Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 08-09-2015, 01:28 AM
  #29826  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by spaceworm View Post
Boy, I hope they were some of mine that had to be removed!

Sincerely, Richard
That's exactly the post i was talking about,thankyou
Old 08-09-2015, 01:41 AM
  #29827  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Tried all this on my OS 70, and have it so that at idle after removing the igniter, the drop is barely perceptible. It will run like that for about a minute, it transitions beautifully too. But read above what it does after idling for a while. Wonder if the carb is gunked up, or is it because the tank may be too low? I do know my right wing had a healthy coating of goo on it, there was at least an 1/8th" of goo covering it front to back by the time I ran a tank through it.
Acdc there's a lot of good answers here,since i can't improve on them lets jump outside the square a bit.Stop idling the engine for so long and just fly it.

To cold(i'm chicken)to ride the duke out east in the wheatbelt and felt cooped up so drove the car to a country pub that serves good steaks.On the way back got passed by a couple of hard core bikies and thought one of their bikes had a familiar paint job,looked at the rider and yup.It's freezing out side and this guy is wearing a pair of johnny reb boots,blue jeans,denim jacket with the sleeves cut off,open face helmet and shades.There were a couple of red splotches on his left bicep that looked like fresh gravel rash but no.It's the red infills on his tattoos the rest of this guy was blue,as the boss says it's hard to be staunch sometimes.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:02 AM
  #29828  
the pope
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: goolwasa, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Acdc there's a lot of good answers here,since i can't improve on them lets jump outside the square a bit.Stop idling the engine for so long and just fly it.

To cold(i'm chicken)to ride the duke out east in the wheatbelt and felt cooped up so drove the car to a country pub that serves good steaks.On the way back got passed by a couple of hard core bikies and thought one of their bikes had a familiar paint job,looked at the rider and yup.It's freezing out side and this guy is wearing a pair of johnny reb boots,blue jeans,denim jacket with the sleeves cut off,open face helmet and shades.There were a couple of red splotches on his left bicep that looked like fresh gravel rash but no.It's the red infills on his tattoos the rest of this guy was blue,as the boss says it's hard to be staunch sometimes.
Funny how tatts can heat up the body . U just need them on your arms and you can where a singlet in the middle of winter . Either that or your a macho wanker show off ! Cheers the pope
Old 08-09-2015, 03:39 AM
  #29829  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

The LS O-ring on a 1.00.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito LS O-ring.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2113437  
Old 08-09-2015, 08:24 AM
  #29830  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,975
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

I took the carb off and took it apart and cleaned it. Interesting how they work, the LSN isnt a needle, its a sleeve the ride over the spray bar and covers it up so only a very small part of the slit is exposed at idle. There was some dirt in there, so hopefully thats all it needed to idle more than a few seconds.


EDIT: FIXED *happy dance* I pulled the carb, took it apart, sprayed it with brake cleaner, blew it out with canned air, reassembled it, put it back on. Turned the LSN out all the way(it is removed by screwing in once the barrel is removed), then screwed it in 4 1/2 turns. The HSN is out 2 turns. I got it started, noticed it dropped quite a bit when I pulled the igniter, but it stayed running, though really sloppy, so put the igniter back on, and turned in the LSN until it sped up, and when I pulled the igniter, no RPM drop. Thats it, done, did not touch the HSN, it idles down to 1500 RPM, and will not stop. Transitions are perfect. I had to pinch the fuel line to get it to quit, and had to adjust the idle in the radio down quite a bit, and it idles at 2200 RPM. Runs very good now. It must have had junk in the spray bar, there was junk in the barrel when I removed it.

Last edited by acdii; 08-09-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:06 AM
  #29831  
Bill Lowen
 
Bill Lowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I took the carb off and took it apart and cleaned it. Interesting how they work, the LSN isnt a needle, its a sleeve the ride over the spray bar and covers it up so only a very small part of the slit is exposed at idle. There was some dirt in there, so hopefully thats all it needed to idle more than a few seconds.


EDIT: FIXED *happy dance* I pulled the carb, took it apart, sprayed it with brake cleaner, blew it out with canned air, reassembled it, put it back on. Turned the LSN out all the way(it is removed by screwing in once the barrel is removed), then screwed it in 4 1/2 turns. The HSN is out 2 turns. I got it started, noticed it dropped quite a bit when I pulled the igniter, but it stayed running, though really sloppy, so put the igniter back on, and turned in the LSN until it sped up, and when I pulled the igniter, no RPM drop. Thats it, done, did not touch the HSN, it idles down to 1500 RPM, and will not stop. Transitions are perfect. I had to pinch the fuel line to get it to quit, and had to adjust the idle in the radio down quite a bit, and it idles at 2200 RPM. Runs very good now. It must have had junk in the spray bar, there was junk in the barrel when I removed it.


Glad to hear you got it fixed!

I slowed the speed on my throttle servo down a bit for my .65. It seems to transition a lot better especially when I have to give it WOT after a botched approach.

I put 15 more flights on this Saito .65 this weekend. I am becoming a big fan of Saito 4 strokes. I am running a 13x8 prop and I love the sound it makes when the airplane rotates into flight, just awesome.. I love my OS 4 strokes too, but this .65 has been dialed in for 20 flights now and no adjustments.

Last edited by Bill Lowen; 08-10-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:37 AM
  #29832  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

That 65 might be the death of your os engines bill,how much do you reckon you'll get for them at a quick fire sale so you can afford another saito?
Old 08-10-2015, 05:27 AM
  #29833  
Bill Lowen
 
Bill Lowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

LOL. nah, I have a 52 surpass and a 56a. I love them both, but I will tell you, I am planning a warbird project over the winter and I think that 3 cylinder Saito might be included in those plans.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:56 AM
  #29834  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Bill, I have brand new OS .56 Alpha with about 3 hours on it, it surges in flight, I may hit you up for some advice after another attempt to get it right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OS .56.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2113714  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:02 AM
  #29835  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the pope View Post
Funny how tatts can heat up the body . U just need them on your arms and you can where a singlet in the middle of winter . Either that or your a macho wanker show off ! Cheers the pope
Funny how he tells the story. It's hot and humid right now and I'm freezing after reading that!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 AM
  #29836  
Bill Lowen
 
Bill Lowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thats the one I have on my .40 size Deacathlon. I am real close to putting it in the air so my experience is more with the 52 right now. But I am glad to meet somebody with one so we can share notes. Maybe we should move this over to an OS forum.. don't want to upset the Saito purists!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:34 AM
  #29837  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,975
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

Nah, Those of us with OS that are here are now Saito fans! I have 4 Saitos, and 2 OS. (not mentioning the 3 Magnum 91's) OOPS I did. Two are still new in boxes too, third one is in a mucked up chipmunk that had 2 flights before the aforementioned Magnum quit in flight. Two Saitos are in flying planes and run perfectly, have another FA-100 and FA125, neither have been spun up yet, but both have homes.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM
  #29838  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Magnums are okay. OS's? What do you guys think about stinking OS's?
Old 08-10-2015, 11:34 AM
  #29839  
Bill Lowen
 
Bill Lowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

So what is the verdict on the Magnum 4S? I thought about rolling the dice and putting one on a bird I do not mind losing as an experiment.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:39 AM
  #29840  
the pope
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: goolwasa, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Lowen View Post
So what is the verdict on the Magnum 4S? I thought about rolling the dice and putting one on a bird I do not mind losing as an experiment.
I have a asp 91 4 stroke and its been fantastic while the plane it was in lasted (oops ) . Because the price gap is narrowing with the better brands ( hobbyking )I dont think I'll get any more of those . As for os 4strokes I have a 70, 52 and a unrun 30 and those have been faultless . To me there not better or worse than satios just different . Cheers the pope
Old 08-11-2015, 04:02 AM
  #29841  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

My cousin in western Pa. passed this OS .91 Surpass along to me, it's a strong .91 turning a Bolly 13.5x8 at 9,800 on 10% fuel. I ran 8 oz with a Fox Miracle and 8 oz with an OS-f. There is not one iota of difference in the performance.The idle was a perfect 1,800 with both. I am swapping it even up for a 1.20.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0706.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2113909  
Old 08-11-2015, 04:36 AM
  #29842  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Popey you know damn well asp stands for accidental sexual premonition and i think you've just had one

Bill i have a radial for a t6/harvard but have not put it together yet,the engine's had a good workout tho.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 AM
  #29843  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Steeenking os's 'senor...i spit in their faces.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM
  #29844  
KC Air
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER View Post
Old Fart, these Yanks don't understand that it is just a move down the coast from Cairns to Brisbane.* The best part about it if there is any with this sort of thing is that my old mate and I will get "The Olde Firm" up and running and already we are getting sledging from the other people who compete in Scale racing and O/T.* That is the ver big plus.* And I will get to use (well maybe) those bikes he has acquired.* Down side, the days here are 25 to 28 degrees c with the o/ nite at around 18 to 20 degrees c.* In Brisbane subtract at least 5 from theabove figures.

But we'll survive,
The other thing us yanks dont understand is the Celsius scale of temps.. we have no perspective on what 25 to 28 degrees C is like. It sounds cold enough to need to scrape frost off your windshield, but in reality it is a warm summer day.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:04 AM
  #29845  
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)
 
jeffEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: farmingtom, MN
Posts: 1,571
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

I have Run the Magnum .91 fs, and for the money, its not a bad motor. It is a tad low on the horsepower when put up against the O.S. and Saito's, but you can get 2 magnums for the price of one Saito. So if budget is not a problem, go for the best. But I would have no fear in buying another magnum four stroke. I have an O.S. .91 surpass and 2 Saito 2.20s right now. I am going to list one of the saito 2.20s on the buy/sell area today. One season old, just over a gallon of fuel (YS 20/20) thru it. Clean and in the box. Just a way to get the $$$ for the 1/3 scale Fokker budget going.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:50 AM
  #29846  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KC Air View Post
The other thing us yanks dont understand is the Celsius scale of temps.. we have no perspective on what 25 to 28 degrees C is like. It sounds cold enough to need to scrape frost off your windshield, but in reality it is a warm summer day.
F is 9/5 + 32 of C.

28/5 = 5.6 x 9 = 50.04 + 32 = 82.04. I did that all in my head. Can anyone check it W/a calculator?

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 08-11-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:17 PM
  #29847  
Bill Lowen
 
Bill Lowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The rain let up and the wind died down last night around 6:30. Absolutely perfect flying night. I was anxious to try out a new 12X8 APC prop on the .65. I turned on the switch, the servos flipped on, then off. then nothing. Somehow I burned up a brand new Spektrum receiver. bummer.. Got out the electrics so the night was not a complete waste, but still they are not the same as the nitro roar of a 4 stroke.

Not sure how you burn up a receiver using analog servos and a NIMH 6 volt pack but oh well.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:40 PM
  #29848  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Snr Tele you got the temps right, you must be an old "aviation man" methinks. Any way concerning temperature, I sure wish we could experience some of this global warming ever one is rabbiting on about, and in the mean time I am going to us one of my old farts perks (pensioner benefits) and am going to take a "free" train trip to Cairns for a week, next week. Have gone there by air (to many times to count) by car (likewise) by boat (once) and now by train. It will take 24 hours. Should prove interesting. On a/c engines, the "boss" is away for a few days, the next door neighbors dogs are in constant bark mode so I feel a day of engine running and tuning is called for, maybe 2 if I "can't" get them running right. Catch ya
Old 08-11-2015, 01:44 PM
  #29849  
FNQFLYER
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Bill, on the spectrum receiver, what battery source and power do you use. My old mate learnt the expensive way that LiPo batteries supplying power to R/x's have to be very closely monitored and the regulators checked to ensure that they are within the prescribed power range. Me in use BIG Nimh's (3000ma +) and usually a couple of them in big models and have been even known to use as little as 400ma Nimh's in some of the O/t models
Old 08-11-2015, 04:08 PM
  #29850  
KC Air
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

My Saito FA-82 in an Extra 300SP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito FA82.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2113987  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.