Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 AM
  #30726  
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Your home moded elbow looks great, I may try that using 50 amps on the welder. I have two of the elbows so if I blow one a way it won't matter a whole lot.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:37 AM
  #30727  
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dave, FormerDairyFarmer
Your home moded elbow looks great, I may try that using 50 amps on the welder. I have two of the elbows so if I blow one a way it won't matter a whole lot.
I tried using the aluminum Turboheader 90* adapter but it kept tightening itself into the head. (threads stretching?) It would end up getting into the cowl. It also seemed to kill power output, but that isn't certain as the engine had some issues that were corrected before I ran it with the modified elbow.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 01-05-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:41 AM
  #30728  
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

I tried it with my rig too, places the phlange too close to the engine, it would be ideal if I can trim the phlange and get it to fit. I'll most likely just use the TH anyway.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 AM
  #30729  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 228
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I did some testing on elbows with sharp corners and they all hurt power and increased heat in the engine by a lot.
Even minor cleaning work inside the elbow helped, but I don't touch them if I don't need too.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:53 PM
  #30730  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Nice work, Dan.

The dropped engine? It wasn't a Saito but a brand new Evolution 2 stroke. Those things just make a dull 'thunk' sound when they hit linoleum. Told my boss and ordered a new cylinder head, new backplate with remote needle valve mount, and a new high speed needle.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:54 PM
  #30731  
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nitrovein
I did some testing on elbows with sharp corners and they all hurt power and increased heat in the engine by a lot.
Even minor cleaning work inside the elbow helped, but I don't touch them if I don't need too.
A smooth 90* pipe bend doesn't impede flow as long as it isn't swept too small.

My elbow mod was done by notching & bending with the inside weld beads smoothed.

The machined 90* adapters have horrible sharp corners.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:55 PM
  #30732  
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blw

The dropped engine? It wasn't a Saito but a brand new Evolution 2 stroke. Those things just make a dull 'thunk' sound when they hit linoleum. Told my boss and ordered a new cylinder head, new backplate with remote needle valve mount, and a new high speed needle.
That's what you get for going to "the dark side"!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:09 PM
  #30733  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 228
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
A smooth 90* pipe bend doesn't impede flow as long as it isn't swept too small.

My elbow mod was done by notching & bending with the inside weld beads smoothed.

The machined 90* adapters have horrible sharp corners.
Yeah, I meant the sharp machined one, not yours that looks fine.

Last edited by Nitrovein; 01-06-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:51 PM
  #30734  
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clifton ParkNY
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have a Saito 180 and I need to use an adapter to exit the cowl. Does anyone know if the larger OS engines use the same pipe thread. They sell a nice 60 degree adapter that looks like it would work for me.I'm just not sure if the thread and diameter are compatible.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:39 PM
  #30735  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: goolwasa, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I dont think so . R u trying to mix and match exhausts ? Maybe a turbo adapter will work . Check out the turbo headers website or here http://www.christiantraders.com.au/e...ion-chart.html . Cheers
Old 01-05-2016, 04:40 PM
  #30736  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Posts: 3,950
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by latch
I have a Saito 180 and I need to use an adapter to exit the cowl. Does anyone know if the larger OS engines use the same pipe thread. They sell a nice 60 degree adapter that looks like it would work for me.I'm just not sure if the thread and diameter are compatible.
Take a look here: http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo...Manifolds.html

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 AM
  #30737  
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I turned a stock Saito elbow into a nearly 90* elbow with a hack saw, some acetylene welding & a bit of Dremel tool work. A little more work & it could exceed 90*. It didn't hurt performance one bit. The engine turned the 18x8 MAS prop at 8150 as pictured in the 2nd shot W/the modified elbow in place.



That's a nice looking elbow sr i like the colour it went too.

Dave a mate used two of those elbows on a sidemounted 125 and both failed at the sharp shoulder where the thread stops.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:33 AM
  #30738  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,235
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

I got a Saito .80 in a SIG 1/5th Cub and used the 90 degree adapter from a Saito twin with the stock pipe to get the exhaust to exit like this.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub Muffler.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	2139947  
Old 01-06-2016, 06:12 AM
  #30739  
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I got a Saito .80 in a SIG 1/5th Cub and used the 90 degree adapter from a Saito twin with the stock pipe to get the exhaust to exit like this.

I'm putting an FA-115 in my 1/5 scale Worldmodels J-3.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 AM
  #30740  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 970
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Hey All
New to forums but not Saitos. 56/62/65/72/three 80's/100/120gas/325radial and one o.s.160 flat twin that could be pried out from under me for a 1/4 scale world models j cub i have all but lost interest in. can i be a clubbie too
Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 AM
  #30741  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,235
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Hey All
New to forums but not Saitos. 56/62/65/72/three 80's/100/120gas/325radial and one o.s.160 flat twin that could be pried out from under me for a 1/4 scale world models j cub i have all but lost interest in. can i be a clubbie too
Are your .80s the old white/blue box .80s? That is what I have in my SIG 1/5 Cub it was a real pain to get in without extending the nose. Are their any quirks with your engines?

Mike
Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 PM
  #30742  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Senr Tele, any deviation from a straight line will "impede" flow or a gas or liquid. It will cause variations in both pressure and volume through the deviation. Though for all that the differences measured here (for sports flying) aren't worth considering.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:23 PM
  #30743  
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Senr Tele, any deviation from a straight line will "impede" flow or a gas or liquid. It will cause variations in both pressure and volume through the deviation. Though for all that the differences measured here (for sports flying) aren't worth considering.
.

Adding length, even if it adds some bends can actually increase flow through an increase in velocity. Case in point, modern EFI intake manifold & exhaust headers. While short straight exhaust pipes/short intake runners may increase HP @ a specific high RPM range, the torque lost throughout the rest
t of the RPM range can reduce performance.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:40 AM
  #30744  
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I got a Saito .80 in a SIG 1/5th Cub and used the 90 degree adapter from a Saito twin with the stock pipe to get the exhaust to exit like this.

Sweet as brother that's tucked away and tidy.Do you think sr will ever get his..and bolt the 115 on to the cub??

Trev gas flow is really important when you are breathing alcohol mate,it got to plus 40c here today so i had a few to cool down.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:12 AM
  #30745  
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Sweet as brother that's tucked away and tidy.Do you think sr will ever get his..and bolt the 115 on to the cub??

Trev gas flow is really important when you are breathing alcohol mate,it got to plus 40c here today so i had a few to cool down.
I have the FA-115 in hand.

I had already mounted the FA-91S in my Cub W/similar results as shown for the FA-80 with only the rockers poking through. (although I opened up the cowl at the bottom rear for air to exit for better cooling) They are identical in physical size & footprint..

The FA-115 only differs in being 2mm taller than the FA=91S & there is a larger carburetor adding 1mm to the length at the back. It has the exact same footprint as both the FA-80 & FA-91S. That is why I chose to upgrade from the FA-91S. The 46 gr more weight will probably be beneficial to balance due to the short nose moment of the Cub air frame..


Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 01-07-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:06 AM
  #30746  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
That's what you get for going to "the dark side"!
If we are comparing similar 2 strokes you'll lose the argument a lot of the time. They're great little 2 strokes for the job. I've bought 8 of them over time. The little .45 is even better.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:40 PM
  #30747  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cairns, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Snr Tele, Benoulli's Theorem (venturi's), 1/4 wave theory etc are all part of performance as is pipe diameter and length. point I was raising (obtusely) was none of it is really applicable to the sports application of our "hobby". However I will point out (and this is from experience) the sharper the deviation from the straight path, the greater increase in localised temperature in that area. Have a look at the current crop of Saito and YS muffler systems. When we race we usually take the mufflers off (noise is great) and run the exhaust straight out the stub, but I have not experienced an appreciable increase of RPM by doing it
Old 01-07-2016, 04:09 PM
  #30748  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: goolwasa, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

How does Bernoulli's Theorem apply to a crack pipe . I need science to help me with my everyday life . Cheers the pope
Old 01-08-2016, 04:57 AM
  #30749  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 970
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Good morning all
I have a 3.25 r heading my way. Anyone ever vent the rocker covers to prevent oil build up after use between uses?
Old 01-08-2016, 07:39 AM
  #30750  
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blw
If we are comparing similar 2 strokes you'll lose the argument a lot of the time. They're great little 2 strokes for the job. I've bought 8 of them over time. The little .45 is even better.
2-stroke are the "dark side!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.