Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:06 AM
loughbd
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

That isn't a pressure fitting and it won't work as one. It also restricts the flow of air (and goo) throught the engine. The 90T had an exhaust pipe with a pressure fitting on it.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:28 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]All:

I've covered this before, but I guess it's time to do it again. I find I didn't have it in "Notes," it is now added between "AAC Life" and "Break in of a Fresh Engine." You can cut and paste to your copy, or as always, you are welcome to ping me for the latest version.
----------------------
After run oil – how the #% do I get it in the crankcase?
Some few twins have two crankcase ports, but none of the singles do. As a result when you try to force the ARO in it tends to blow back out. No problem.

Got a plastic squeeze bottle with a tapered spout, the sort that you put your tomato catsup or mustard in. Best if you can see the level of the contents. If the tip is small enough to go into the vent hose you’re done. If not a short length of brass tubing can be forced in the tip, or you can cut the tip back to get a larger diameter that will let you push the vent hose inside.

Fill it about ½ way with your favorite AR oil, and you are ready.

Pull the vent hose out the top of the plane, or if not convenient turn the plane over, just be sure the hose is pointing up. Attach your new oil bottle to the hose. Then holding the bottle with the tip down turn the engine slowly.

While the piston is going down in the bore you’ll see bubbles in the oil bottle, then when the piston is going up it will draw oil back into the engine. Keep turning until you have drawn an ounce or so of oil in. Unhook the bottle, turn the plane back upright (Or the hose back out the bottom) and spin the engine for a few seconds with your starter. This last will make sure the oil is run everywhere inside the engine, and blow any excess out.

Simple, isn’t it?

Bill.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:31 PM
mstcitabria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can I get any help with giving my Saito 100 a dose of afterrun oil?
mstcitabria
Old 05-29-2006, 12:58 PM
mstcitabria

WR,
Thanks for the info Bill, I was posting while you were and missed the reply ............mstcitabria
Old 05-29-2006, 03:12 PM
dfkroft

OK. I will take kare of it.
I want to thank all of you for your concerns.
Dave
Old 05-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

I need help with a part number. My Saito FA45 went in, I guess you could say I put it in since I was flying the aircraft it was attached to. I broke the straight pipe off. Can someone help me with a part number for the straight pipe. It won't be a 45 without this and I love the sound.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 10:39 PM
loughbd
Banned

If you are talking about the exhaust pipe, you are going to have a problem finding a replacement. That engine and parts were discontinued a while ago. I bought up as many spare parts as I could get from Horizon. I got the last three cases and backplates.The 80T, 90T, FA40 and FA45 all used the same pipe but all are long gone. The 50 pipe and muffler will work but it's not a straight pipe all one piece.

I have four of the old 45's including two of the first ones with the bolt on heads. I flew two of them today. Also just cleaned to carbon off the exhaust valve on one.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 AM
piper28

Feeler gauge? I remembered an old trick we used on fuel mechanical governors to set the air gap - the cellophane from a cigarette pack. It's almost all 0.001" thick. Tried it in a Saito, works great.

Double it to get the 0.002" needed, use it as your feeler and adjust the valve. After adjustment if it slides out with no drag it's too loose. A little drag is fine, if the valve is too tight the cellophane tears. Fail safe adjustment and checking.
Heh, not the easiest solution for the rabid anti-smoker . I'll go in and lube the rockers and tubes. Thankfully I'm not in a huge hurry wit this engine since the plane it's going on is still sitting in the box waiting to be started.

That’s one of the reasons I waited so long for a decent digital camera – just a short time ago the same capabilities would have reached your $3K price.
Heh, yeah, that's definitely true. Wasn't that long ago that I spent more than your camera on a film camera. Depressing to think how cheap they go foron ebay now.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:18 AM
William Robison

Piper:

Surely you can pick up a discarded cigarette pack.

That was a "Quick and Dirty" method anyway, a full feeler strip set including the 0.0015" thickness is not expensive.

And dropping camera prices? I really took a bath on my first video set. Detailed elsewhere.

Bill.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:43 AM
mwarren400

Mr. Robison

I have a Saito 2.20 that seems to run fine on the ground ...tachs at over 8000 rpm with a Master Airscrew 20 x 8 prop. When it is in the air however (mounted on an Ultra RC Giles 202 about 11 lbs) it seems to surge and a full throttle fly by looks like a trainer. However, it will go vertical and just keep going up. Attempts to richen or lean the mixture doesnt seem to make a difference ...all tubing was removed, changed, and tghtenend with ty-wraps. Am wondering if its just the prop or am I missing something. Ideas?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:20 AM
dougwill

Silly question open to anyone. When putting new o-ring & aluminum ring into intake when assembling carb back onto Saito 65, 72. Do you press the ring into the cavity or just hold pressure against intake when tightening screws?

Also what is the best glow-plug for a Saito? OS type F, Hanger 9 HAN3011, Saito SAIP400S or I've heard a lot about the Enya #3.

Doug
Old 05-30-2006, 03:26 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: mwarren400

Mr. Robison

I have a Saito 2.20 that seems to run fine on the ground ...tachs at over 8000 rpm with a Master Airscrew 20 x 8 prop. When it is in the air however (mounted on an Ultra RC Giles 202 about 11 lbs) it seems to surge and a full throttle fly by looks like a trainer. However, it will go vertical and just keep going up. Attempts to richen or lean the mixture doesnt seem to make a difference
What are the vibration levels like? Could it be fuel foaming in the tank?

Foaming sometimes doesn't show up when the model is on the ground because the vibration is damped by contact with the ground or person holding the airframe. Likewise, when you're vertical, the clunk is at the bottom of the tank and the foaming is at the top so the effects are less noticeable. However, in straight-and-level flight, it's not uncommon for the depth of fuel above the clunk to be insufficient to stop air being sucked into the line. Indeed, in a worst-case, the clunk will actually be bouncing in and out of the fuel because of the vibration.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:03 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

William,

You have posted some fuel usage charts for different sizes of Saito engines which are very helpful You also state that the use of a Velocity Stack and an Air Filter will also increase the fuel efficiency.

About how much more run time would a velocity stack give ? I know the velocity stack keeps some fuel from being spit out of the carburator which helps efficiency, but how does an air filter help reduce the fuel burn ?

Also, any idea how much difference there is in fuel burn between the same size OS engines and Saitos ? They say the OS uses less fuel, is it a significant amount ?

Thanks,

JettPilot
Old 05-31-2006, 03:46 AM
William Robison

Jett:

On my little Magnum 0.25 the addition of the stack almost doubled the running time. I’ve not seen that much increase with a Saito, but my experience and some feed back I’ve gotten say that 150% is not out of the question when used with the air filter. Your gain will vary depending on how wide you generally keep the throttle – Saitos seem to spit worst around mid throttle.

The air filter is needed not just to keep sand and gravel out of the engine, it does the last bit of fuel trapping. On the Magnum I was able to make the stack as long as I wanted it, it traps all the reverse fuel spray. The Saito stacks aren’t quite long enough, the mesh of the air filter traps that last bit. So for maximum fuel economy you need both pieces.

The biggest cause of high fuel rates is the ability of the Saito to run well when it’s very rich. There’s another thread on RCU about a fellow with an FA-180 draining a 24 ounce tank in 4-6 minutes. Set up right he should have at least 6 ounces left after 10 minutes. The low speed adjustment is the usual culprit – it is the major control up to approximately ¾ throttle.

Burn rate comparison between Saito and OS?

First, some back ground. A given amount of fuel contains a given amount of heat, the engine converts that heat to power. So there’s a minimum amount of fuel required for a given power level. The more efficiently an engine converts the heat to power the closer it can come to using that minimum amount. At the same time, the more fuel the engine can burn in a given time the higher power from the engine, so long as the burning efficiency is maintained.

Now back to Saito and OS. The OS is your stodgy old Ford clunker, the Saito is the hot rod. This is a generality of course, but the stodgy clunker is going to get better gas mileage. And naturally, the hot rod is going to be more powerful. I’ll also point out that the OS exceptions that are higher powered than the same size Saito burn more fuel than the greater power would seem to need – the Saito is just a more efficient design.

Bill.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:56 AM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

What size O ring is needed for the stack on an 82? What size bolts holds on the stack. Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 10:58 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The stack is held on by the bolts that currently hold the carb onto the engine. There is a saddle on the stack (venturi) that straddles these current bolts.

I went to the hardware store and got some Orings that looked about right for my stacks.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
IronCross

I replace the oring on the intake manifold when I put my stacks on and used tha old oring for the stack... Seems like a perfect fit..
Old 05-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Jerry C

Is there a carb stack that will fit on the 125?
Jerry
Old 05-31-2006, 06:33 PM
William Robison

Jerry:

Horizon part number SAI50GK93 fits all the mid block engines, including the FA-125.

Just ordered four more a few minutes ago.

Bill.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 PM
skillet92

Hey Guys,
I have purchaced a Saito 125 and mounted it on a FW-190. I am swinging a MA 16x6 and have so far followed the instructions for breaking it in. I have a couple of 2 cycles and have had no problems with those, but this is my first 4 and i was wondering i started with the high speed mixture 5 turns out and have so far turned it back in about 1 and a half. What is a normal range. The last thing i want to do is run this engine lean.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:11 PM
JettPilot

If you buy the Saito Golden Knight version, it comes with a velocity stack Not having to buy and deal with getting a seperate stack makes that really neat looking black and gold finish not much more expensive in the end.

I am looking at the Bru-Line filters on Horizon now, and will order several of them for my Saitos. Does one size fit both the .56 and the 1.50 ?? Will it go over the velocity stack ok ?

JettPilot
Old 05-31-2006, 11:31 PM
William Robison

Jett:

The Bru-line will stretch over the big block stacks just as well as it does on the smaller ones you have. One size fits all.

Bill.

PS: I think some of the current GK models do not include the intake stack. wr.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:50 AM
loughbd
Banned

A 91 on a SIG Kadet Senior?? Boy there is overpowering at it's finest. I had one with an old pre war Ohlsson 60 modified to use an OS 4BK carb. It was rated at 1/5 hp and flew the Kadet fine. It would run over an hour on an 8 ounce tank and straight methanol and a 3 to 1 castor oil ratio. Had to use a PCM radio with the open point ignition.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:47 AM
dougwill

Bill Robison

Maybe a silly question. When putting new o-ring & aluminum ring into intake when assembling carb back onto Saito 65, 72. Do you press the ring into the cavity or just hold pressure against intake when tightening screws?

Also what is the best glow-plug for a Saito? OS type F, Hanger 9 HAN3011, Saito SAIP400S or I've heard a lot about the Enya #3.

Doug
Old 06-01-2006, 11:05 AM
rlmcnii

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JP,
A small word of enlightenment: Not all GKs come with velocity stacks. I know from personal experience that the 1.00 does not. I believe another poster on this thread has said that the 1.25 GK does not come with a stack, either. I bought the 1.00 GK specifically because I wanted the stack; the lack thereof was a minor disappointment.
Personally, I agree with you that the finish is worth the price difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.