Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 AM
  #33776  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,084
Received 258 Likes on 227 Posts
Default

I remember a first generation OS Max .60 4 cycle with the open rockers converted to spark ignition, it blew smoke rings at an idle.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:08 AM
  #33777  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,994
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

I want to drop the Saito FG-11 into my LT-40, and while it will fit, the weight penalty will detract from the fun factor the plane has and revert it back to trainer status. It has an OS 52 on it now, and has ZERO dead weight for balance. My T-Clips needed the flight battery moved nearly to the tail to balance it with the FG-11 in it, and that was a PITA to get back there. I may put the FG-11 in the Citabria, but might run into the same balance issue as the Clips with needing a battery in the tail. I would like a nice plane to put it in, and thinking it might work out OK in my sport scale Mustang, if I can shoehorn the ignition into it.

Great Planes Sport Scale Mustang Almost Ready-to-Fly .46-.70/EP Sport Plane - Discontinued
Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 AM
  #33778  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
I want to drop the Saito FG-11 into my LT-40, and while it will fit, the weight penalty will detract from the fun factor the plane has and revert it back to trainer status. It has an OS 52 on it now, and has ZERO dead weight for balance. My T-Clips needed the flight battery moved nearly to the tail to balance it with the FG-11 in it, and that was a PITA to get back there. I may put the FG-11 in the Citabria, but might run into the same balance issue as the Clips with needing a battery in the tail. I would like a nice plane to put it in, and thinking it might work out OK in my sport scale Mustang, if I can shoehorn the ignition into it.

Great Planes Sport Scale Mustang Almost Ready-to-Fly .46-.70/EP Sport Plane - Discontinued
I would be more concerned with the performance penalty of the "gas" engine. Why use the FG-11 when the FG-14 is almost identical in size and only weighs about 1 1/2oz more? As far as weight? You could probably run a 6oz tank with gas so that would just about make up for ant added weight and bulk of the battery/module.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 AM
  #33779  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,994
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

An FG-11 in hand is better than an FG-14 on a stores shelf!

On 12 ounces I could fly an hour with the Fg-11, and I most likely would have left it in the Clips had I not crashed it, but when I couldn't pull it out of a stall with the FG-11 at WOT, I decided it wasn't enough for that plane. I stalled it too low to the ground, and it dropped a wing, and with it at full power, just could not get it to level off before it hit. If I had the power of the 52 then I could have recovered in time. That engine will probably work great in a Senior or Senorita.

Problem is, I haven't put enough fuel through it yet, with how little it uses I have about 3/4 gallon through it after two years flying. That's about 8 hours flying time. That's also a downside of having too many planes, not all get flown, and not all have a lot of time. My Somethin Xtra has almost as much as my LT-40, which was my first plane and had about 3 flights last year. I flew two gallons of glow through the SE last year.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:59 AM
  #33780  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
An FG-11 in hand is better than an FG-14 on a stores shelf!

On 12 ounces I could fly an hour with the Fg-11,.
At that rate, 2oz of gas would fly for 10 minutes. A 4oz tank would give ample flight time and save 8oz of weight and make room for the module.battery. A 650Mah NiMh "AAA" battery pack would give you lots of flight time and could be charged between flights..

I saw after the fact that you already had the FG-11.

One of my rules is that when faced with engine choices, I always purchase the biggest displacement available in a given footprint. In the Saito line that would be. FA-56, FA-82, FA-115, FA-180 or, IF I wanted gas, the same displacement equivalent. I wouldn't even consider the FA-100 or FA-125 as the FA-115 has that power band covered in a smaller footprint.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 05-23-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:04 AM
  #33781  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
guys, is there another place to buy Saito's ??, Horizon isn't stocking all their engines

Jim
England is the best kept secret right now for buy Saitos or parts, imo. Postage is cheaper. You just have to wait a week longer. I ordered an costly antenna from an English company last year and they started up production late on them. I had slightly complained about the wait in the past so they shipped mine overnight from England. No charge. I've bought a good bit of Saito parts from England. I seem to break even on the prices vs buying over here.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:09 AM
  #33782  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blw
England is the best kept secret right now for buy Saitos or parts, imo. Postage is cheaper. You just have to wait a week longer. I ordered an costly antenna from an English company last year and they started up production late on them. I had slightly complained about the wait in the past so they shipped mine overnight from England. No charge.
Can you post some links?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 AM
  #33783  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,994
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
At that rate, 2oz of gas would fly for 10 minutes. A 4oz tank would give ample flight time and save 8oz of weight and make room for the module.battery. A 650Mah NiMh "AAA" battery pack would give you lots of flight time and could be charged between flights..

I saw after the fact that you already had the FG-11.

One of my rules is that when faced with engine choices, I always purchase the biggest displacement available in a given footprint. In the Saito line that would be. FA-56, FA-82, FA-115, FA-180 or, IF I wanted gas, the same displacement equivalent. I wouldn't even consider the FA-100 or FA-125 as the FA-115 has that power band covered in a smaller footprint.

The FG-11 I believe is the FA-56, which is what I now have for the T-Clips(or maybe it was the 65) Either way, the FG-14 would have been too big for the plane, it is roughly the same as the FA-72, which I have and is too large for the plane.

I also have 2 FA-100 I picked up at swaps, and both are excellent motors.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:11 PM
  #33784  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

The FG 11 is a .62 with a 1.06" bore in lieu of the glow 1.03" bore making The FG 11 a .66. I have one just past broken in. It is a super smooth engine. It's going into a Cherokee 40 if I can get the covering unwrinkled on the Cherokee. It's super wrinkled.

FG 11 numbers

Saito FG 11
Prop===Xoar 13x6
Fuel===Gulf Gasoline, 89 octane ethanol free/Mercury Marine two stroke full synthetic compatible with water or air cooling@ 20 to 1.
Stock FG 11 Ignition=RCXL
95 minutes total run time, I ran the tank 1" lower than the first run, there was no difference in the running.

Max rpm stock muffler== 9,155
Max rpm Turbo Header==9,293
RPM with both=2,150

Last edited by Hobbsy; 05-23-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:42 PM
  #33785  
Stoneweapon
 
Stoneweapon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: AugsburgBY, GERMANY
Posts: 118
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Hello,

I recently aquired an old FA 120 Saito engine.
It seems to be the "big head" version from the 80ies.
Can anyone give me a source for the manual or parts list?

Thank you
Old 05-25-2017, 04:06 AM
  #33786  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii


I also have 2 FA-100 I picked up at swaps, and both are excellent motors.
I see little point in the FA-100 when the FA-115 has a smaller footprint and make similar power to the FA-125..

As for your FG-11 lacking enough power? Since you are running an 12oz tank anyway swap an FA-62 carburetor onto the existing manifold, (the manifold is the same part # for either) crank about 6 more degrees of ignition advance into it and enjoy a 25% power boost. It would probably make nearly as much power as an FA-72 with glow ignition.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 05-25-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:19 AM
  #33787  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stoneweapon
Hello,

I recently aquired an old FA 120 Saito engine.
It seems to be the "big head" version from the 80ies.
Can anyone give me a source for the manual or parts list?

Thank you
All of the valve train parts, as well as the cam, cam housing, rocker covers, pushrod covers, bearings, gasket set are the same as all Saito big blocks. I'm not sure if there is any difference to the FA-120S but everything else for the FA-120S but the cylinder are in stock.

Go to Horizon's site and click on discontinued only tab. Sort by price high to low to simplify finding the FA-120S.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:55 AM
  #33788  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,994
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I see little point in the FA-100 when the FA-115 has a smaller footprint and make similar power to the FA-125..

As for your FG-11 lacking enough power? Since you are running an 12oz tank anyway swap an FA-62 carburetor onto the existing manifold, (the manifold is the same part # for either) crank about 6 more degrees of ignition advance into it and enjoy a 25% power boost. It would probably make nearly as much power as an FA-72 with glow ignition.
FA-115 $370
FA-100 $150
(2) FA-100 $300
Savings $70



I will look into getting the 62 carb and giving it a try on glow.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:35 AM
  #33789  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
FA-115 $370
FA-100 $150
(2) FA-100 $300
Savings $70



.
That's about like buying a cheap 383 B block Chrysler engine for your hot rod when a 5.7 3rd Gen Hemi will make more HP in a smaller package for a few $$$ more..

Originally Posted by acdii
I will look into getting the 62 carb and giving it a try on glow.
Make sure you modify the hall sensor mount to get at least 34* BTDC timing advance. Any thing less and you will be leaving power on the table.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 05-25-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 AM
  #33790  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,994
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

So buying 2 used in perfect condition FA-100, for two planes vs buying one new FA-115 for one plane and not having an engine for another plane because I spent it all plus another $70 is a bad thing? Actually I saved $440, but who's counting. Besides if the 100 is super overkill for a 6 pound Piper Cub, wouldn't the 115 be Extreme overkill?

If I come across a 115 for $150, I'll buy it. I would put it in my Mustang for sure.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:29 PM
  #33791  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,368
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

I'm really thinking I should buy the 115, I don't think I could get the 125 to idle low enough with a 15 or 16 inch prop to stop my plane from rolling at idle ??,, while with the 115 with a 14 inch prop it would probably stay put at idle ??

Jim
Old 05-26-2017, 05:17 AM
  #33792  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

All the saitos will idle easy at 2000rpm but mostly a lot less like 1400rpm and you need over 2000rpm to get your plane moving on a smooth surface.If you are running a 6 pitch prop that is good engine braking on approach too.

acdc trade all your engines in for a 115
Old 05-27-2017, 07:24 AM
  #33793  
blw
My Feedback: (3)
 
blw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 9,447
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

They will idle that low like Old Fart said. They need at least a few gallons of fuel thought them and you need to know how to tune them just right, or "spot on." An engine with only an hour or two of run time probably won't be broken in enough to be reliable.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 PM
  #33794  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,994
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

My 72 on the Sig SE runs like a charm! It could probably use a little leaning to get more RPM, but it runs smoothly without any issues from idle to WOT. The idle is perfect when I take the igniter off, no RPM drop. It also uses little fuel, Flew it 20 minutes toady on about 5 ounces of fuel, I think its a 10 ounce tank and had a half tank left. Was going to fly my Cub with the 100 on it, but the battery is dead.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:12 AM
  #33795  
got2retire
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: malvern , PA
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lost glow plug washers...

Anybody out there have a "collection" of old glow plug washers? Went to the field, engine wouldn't start, after checking the battery and glow plug, fuel was the problem...But in that process I dropped not one, but two washers in the grass never to be seen again. Ended the day. Lesson learned, put a towel or something under said engine when doing a plug swap or test. Have since acquired a new plug with enclosed ring, but as stupid is, stupid does (sometimes) and having a couple extra washers has become a must have..
Nobody on the net sells them separately that I have found. There are washers available, but not in that size..
If you have a stash, and would be willing to send me a few I'll happily compensate you for them and your time and trouble...
With a reply, please include your name and address, and I'll put your compensation immediately in the mail.
got2retire ( actually finally did)
Tom
Old 05-28-2017, 10:27 AM
  #33796  
spaceworm
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Posts: 3,950
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default glow plug washers

Originally Posted by got2retire
Anybody out there have a "collection" of old glow plug washers? Went to the field, engine wouldn't start, after checking the battery and glow plug, fuel was the problem...But in that process I dropped not one, but two washers in the grass never to be seen again. Ended the day. Lesson learned, put a towel or something under said engine when doing a plug swap or test. Have since acquired a new plug with enclosed ring, but as stupid is, stupid does (sometimes) and having a couple extra washers has become a must have..
Originally Posted by got2retire
Nobody on the net sells them separately that I have found. There are washers available, but not in that size..
If you have a stash, and would be willing to send me a few I'll happily compensate you for them and your time and trouble...
With a reply, please include your name and address, and I'll put your compensation immediately in the mail.
got2retire ( actually finally did)
Tom
Old 05-28-2017, 10:31 AM
  #33797  
spaceworm
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Posts: 3,950
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default glow plug washers

Goggled for model engine glow plug copper washers. Modler direct on eBay.
has 10 for $4.99 plus $1.99 shipping
. They take PayPal.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:06 PM
  #33798  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,368
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

hey, the Plenty-O-Fish Porn Star is back, at my age I say she's a Doll, I wonder if she likes bacon , just wondering you know

Jim Bob

Last edited by the Wasp; 05-28-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: ok I screwed up, I had a few and I was thinking about that blond Star eating bacon and telling me to loop and roll
Old 05-28-2017, 08:25 PM
  #33799  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,994
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

And I thought the Aussies were bad after a few too many(one).
Old 05-28-2017, 08:36 PM
  #33800  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,368
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

And I thought the Aussies were bad after a few too many(one).
I think I got some bad cheese

Jim

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.