Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 11-10-2018, 05:10 PM
  #37976  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Thanks T, the IronBay uses a simple Schrader valve actuated by the diaphragm, both pressurize the tank to 2 to 9 psi using a check valve on the muffler pressure tap or crankcase of a two stroke. The pressure is enough to put a serious bulge in those stiff walled Sullivan tanks. Some go nutso putting cable ties on the fuel lines and fiber glass tape on the tank, none of that is needed. It's totally over kill.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 PM
  #37977  
bgee
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Camperdown Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 82b

Hi, I have a Saito 82b in a Pawnee that I was flying today and the engine dead sticked and then restarted without glow. This happened to me twice. Just wondering if anyone knows why this would happen? Thanks
Old 11-10-2018, 09:08 PM
  #37978  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,341
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Dave, it's very good to hear that you had a better day today (Saturday)

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Hobb’s i hope she is doing better.
And whats a cline regulater
Captain, you can see the Cline in my link,, but as for the Iron bay unit for $95 it's price has jumped a lot, you can buy an OS 4 stroke regulator for like $75 and it's much smaller
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...fuel-regulator

oopps an edit> the Cline is not made any more

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 11-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 PM
  #37979  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,341
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

oopss, if you use an OS regulator you will need a one way pressure valve to tap from the back plate to pressurize the fuel tank, but for 4 stroke engines I really think you do not need much pressure in the tanks for the 4 strokes use so much less fuel than a 2 stroke

Jim
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 PM
  #37980  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,341
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bgee
Hi, I have a Saito 82b in a Pawnee that I was flying today and the engine dead sticked and then restarted without glow. This happened to me twice. Just wondering if anyone knows why this would happen? Thanks
I have not had that happen to me, but I have read about it happening to other people, well with knowing that "heat" ignite's fuel I would have to think that your engine is too lean and it's running too hot,,, I know some of the other guys that have been flying RC for a life time will know better than me and they will help you, just hold on and they will reply LOL

Jim
Old 11-10-2018, 09:55 PM
  #37981  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Well i have never used a regulator, is it worth it?

Hobbs glad to hear your wife is ok.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:09 PM
  #37982  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bgee
Hi, I have a Saito 82b in a Pawnee that I was flying today and the engine dead sticked and then restarted without glow. This happened to me twice. Just wondering if anyone knows why this would happen? Thanks
I've never experienced that but have read about it happening to other people,jim may be on the right track re engine to lean.Your not using heli fuel? it's bad juju for saito four strokes i reckon

Dave that's really really good news about geri hope she has a rapid recovery and is back driving the new red car soon.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:24 PM
  #37983  
bgee
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Camperdown Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
I've never experienced that but have read about it happening to other people,jim may be on the right track re engine to lean.Your not using heli fuel? it's bad juju for saito four strokes i reckon

Dave that's really really good news about geri hope she has a rapid recovery and is back driving the new red car soon.
Just using 10% nitro. What fuel mixture do you recommend? We tuned it to full RPM, which was 9200, then richened it so revs dropped to 86-8700rpm swingung APC 14 x 6 prop
Old 11-10-2018, 10:41 PM
  #37984  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default



Dave i've also just bought a new car.It's a toyota aurion presara.Comes with a 260hp v6 and tiptronic sequential six speed gearbox.A friend who owns one said that could get addictive and he's right.Do you remember i told you every now and then i go harley hunting up in the hills on my ducati? well now i can straightline them on the freeways too.I like most harley riders,it's just a small percentage and generally younger group of posers wearing german ww2 helmets and skull masks,just love them


I use 10% nitro for relaxed sunday flying with 12% klotz synthetic and 3% castor.Your figures match mine with the fa82 plus 14x6 apc prop.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:04 AM
  #37985  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Thanks again for all the encouraging and kind words.

That's a great looking car Pete, is it turbo charged to get that power? Thanks I can manually shift the Cruze's six speed but never have, it does well without my help.One thing that surprises me is the Cruze's 6,800 rpm red line.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:23 AM
  #37986  
erieqc
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norwalk, OH
Posts: 313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fg 17

Without reading this whole thread which I plan on doing this winter I would like to know if anyone has ever got this engine to preform as should have and what are the secrets to it.
thanks
Old 11-11-2018, 07:07 PM
  #37987  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,341
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bgee
Just using 10% nitro. What fuel mixture do you recommend? We tuned it to full RPM, which was 9200, then richened it so revs dropped to 86-8700rpm swingung APC 14 x 6 prop
well I would think that 87 is not lean on the high needle, in fact if that engine is broken-in I would say it's a bit rich, if it peeked at 92 then I would say fly it at 88 to 8850,, maybe the idle is too lean, how well does it start, a engine may start hard if the idle is too lean, I hope the other guys that have been flying Saitos for years and years reply about your problem..
what glow plug ??

Jim
Saito: what else is there ?
Old 11-11-2018, 07:26 PM
  #37988  
hedgelawn
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler project / Warbirds , that sound..

Mokie, Kolm sound on a Satio or ASP


Are there any after market muffler choices for Satios, ASP, EVO,
It seems logical that with right combination of stright pipe into large chamber, it should be possible to get
that rowdy Mokie sound out of any big 4 stroke

Anybody heard or read about any custom muffler project for 4 stroke ?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 11-11-2018, 07:30 PM
  #37989  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,341
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Jeff, there is Bisson and slimline,,,

Bisson Custom Mufflers

https://www.slimlineproducts.com/sai...ler-p/4013.htm

Jim
Old 11-11-2018, 07:42 PM
  #37990  
hedgelawn
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thank you...
Old 11-11-2018, 07:49 PM
  #37991  
bgee
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Camperdown Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
well I would think that 87 is not lean on the high needle, in fact if that engine is broken-in I would say it's a bit rich, if it peeked at 92 then I would say fly it at 88 to 8850,, maybe the idle is too lean, how well does it start, a engine may start hard if the idle is too lean, I hope the other guys that have been flying Saitos for years and years reply about your problem..
what glow plug ??

Jim
Saito: what else is there ?
I am running an os f plug. I could try a new one. I believe its running rich because the model is very oily after a flight. Starting really easy, hasnít done very much flying time at all this engine
Old 11-11-2018, 11:29 PM
  #37992  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

They get better with time bg.Depending on tank level centre line height in the model relative to the carb i usually fly for about half a tank then land and tune for max rpm.Then come back two or three clicks on the main.Off a peak of 9200 you should be running around 8900 then.

No turbo charging dave.It's a 3.5ltr v6 with four valve heads and variable valve timing,toyota rate them at 200kw which is 268hp in the old language.It's monday arvo here and just got back from the tyre shop.The car now has michelin pilot sports,kinda like the ones on my ducati except there's twice as many,and these one's are square.How's geri coming along?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:06 AM
  #37993  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,341
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

hey Pete, you know, my older brother owned a couple Harleys in his younger years, so he came over today and I show'ed him my Saito 1.15, well he said it reminds him of a Harley

Jim
Old 11-12-2018, 01:07 AM
  #37994  
the pope
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: goolwasa, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,680
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
They get better with time bg.Depending on tank level centre line height in the model relative to the carb i usually fly for about half a tank then land and tune for max rpm.Then come back two or three clicks on the main.Off a peak of 9200 you should be running around 8900 then.

No turbo charging dave.It's a 3.5ltr v6 with four valve heads and variable valve timing,toyota rate them at 200kw which is 268hp in the old language.It's monday arvo here and just got back from the tyre shop.The car now has michelin pilot sports,kinda like the ones on my ducati except there's twice as many,and these one's are square.How's geri coming along?
Hey there Fart , my grannie has one those to do her shopping in . She said she would sooner have a V8 , Something thats not embarrassing to be seen in ! Did you trade in your datsun 120Y ?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:46 AM
  #37995  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

That's it!! i'm selling the fa115 for bugger all money.They could even take it with the plane.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:37 AM
  #37996  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

She' pretty much back to being her old self, they already changed her to the Eloquis 10 mg pills, she'll be taking those for 7 days and then 5 mg for 6 months.

I have a Michelin 80/90 x 21 on the front, I can't say much about it except that it's on there.

Our respective engines sure run differently, the 1.4 litre Cruze engine makes makes max torque 179 foot pounds at 2,000 rpm and you engine makes 268 at 4,700, quite a difference in the the torque band.
.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-12-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:14 AM
  #37997  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,985
Received 226 Likes on 202 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
She' pretty much back to being her old self, they already changed her to the Eloquis 10 mg pills, she'll be taking those for 7 days and then 5 mg for 6 months.
.
The doctor wanted to put my wife on Eliquis for her Afib but when she heard the $120 price WITH insurance. She told the doctor "no way". He switched her to Xarelto instead which works well for her. The Xarelto was just a $35 copay and I signed up online so the maker picks up part of her copay so her end cost is just $10 bucks! She also takes Plavix and an 81 mg asprin for her Afib and stents. She is up to 11 medications a day. She says she feels like a jelly bean jar.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:31 PM
  #37998  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,341
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

my wife (not yet 60) should have her knees replaced, but she is trying to get around that, doctors act like it's no big thing, but I guess they have to other wise it would dwell on them over time


Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
That's it!! i'm selling the fa115 for bugger all money.They could even take it with the plane.
oh don't do that Pete, it will give you bad luck if you do, besides that, you would have to buy a 2 stroke to replace it

Jim
Old 11-12-2018, 02:38 PM
  #37999  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
my wife (not yet 60) should have her knees replaced, but she is trying to get around that, doctors act like it's no big thing, but I guess they have to other wise it would dwell on them over time




oh don't do that Pete, it will give you bad luck if you do, besides that, you would have to buy a 2 stroke to replace it

Jim
Or an OS.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:28 AM
  #38000  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Dave at first i thought you had pitched me a low ball and it hit me fair square in the you know where but i'd buy an OS/ASP fourstroke/lazer/kolm any day to a two stroke.I looked up your chevy cruze specs they are very impressive.Who could drive for more than 600 miles in one hit on highway cycle? and the nine speed auto sounds like the ducks nuts.As for my car i'm a glutton for revs but it's redlined at 6200.

Mike everybody i know loves jelly beans.You can take them with a really really nice home brewed coffee to make it a rewarding thing to do.Beats that starbucks crapola fast food joints dish up nowadays

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.