Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 11-13-2018, 03:44 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Pete, I took a good look sat the Cruze's tach yesterday, the redline starts at 6,500, I had misstated it at 6,800, there is no orange zone so I'd say the ECM either retards the timing or alternately shuts down the fuel injectors to limit it at 6,500. I've never had it anywhere near that though, it seldom reaches 4,000 with all that low end torque.

I am going to sell the OS 95-v and maybe the OS 62-v also, I have two Saito 62's and a Saito 100, not much chance I'd use either OS.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Hobbsy: I am going to sell the OS 95-v and maybe the OS 62-v also
Dave, that 95 is a pretty engine, I would love to buy it, BUT I don't need it LOL,, and that brings me to tell the problem with buying more engines than you need>, well you set back wanting to see how those engines perform in the air, yet you know you shouldn't own 15 or 20 flying planes

Jim
Saito, a real performer
Old 11-14-2018, 02:48 AM
Hobbsy

Thanks Jim, it sold very quickly, you're right, it is a great looking engine. I'm going to thin the herd, as they say.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:56 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
hey Pete, you know, my older brother owned a couple Harleys in his younger years, so he came over today and I show'ed him my Saito 1.15, well he said it reminds him of a Harley

Jim
A low blow, that one!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by jesse open
a low blow, that one!
lol
Old 11-15-2018, 01:20 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Thanks Jim, it sold very quickly, you're right, it is a great looking engine. I'm going to thin the herd, as they say.
Dave if your gonna thin the herd let's start right here.I've loaded the blunderbuss with a big handful of black powder then a whole shovel load of goat manure.Off to the shed now to tack jims picture to the dart board,cheers mate.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:20 AM
Hobbsy

Hey there Pete, top of the mornin to you, yesterday I received two 6" wide x 48" long sheets of .125", millermeters in your lingo, basswood for the Pawnee. My Micro Mark DC powered saw will cut the strips very accurately. It's 39 and pouring rain here, in fact I hear little ice balls hitting my window.

Jim, I'm going to send the extra back plate your way in a day or two, I tried the back plate off of my 82-b and the crank pin touched the aluminum back plate. I'll send two gaskets in case you need them for a little clearance. The gaskets are coming from the new gasket guy in town.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-15-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:35 AM
mirion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All, New guy here. This looks like a forum I could like, I have read about 40 pages so far, lots of comradery. Having recently retired I am getting back into RC flying after about a 20 year absence. I started out reading as much as I can about the latest stuff. I then bought a copy of Real Flight Simulator and did a little honing of the relexes, it felt good so I bought a EFlite Maule electric (not to crazy about electric) so that I could get some stick time this fall before the Michigan snow flew. Kind of like riding a bike, it all came back and I am excited to get my Ultra Sport 60, Goldberg Chipmunk and a couple others back in shape for spring. Most of my engines, mostly 4-strokes were gummed up. I loosened them up a little with some kerosene so I could partially disassemble them. I then put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner and they came out looking like new. It was fun tearing them down and I got an education on the different brands seeing as I have an Enya 80, a 48 OS Surpass and several Saitos, they all have slightly different variations on the cam timing systems. The David McIntire videos on YouTube were a big help. I have also picked up a couple more used Saitos off Fleabay and I have a couple questions regarding the Saitos.

First off, where is the best place to pick up Saito parts (I have some older ones, FA91, FA80 and FA65) I found a place called McGregor/Hobby Plastic in the UK, are there any others state side?

It looks like Boca is a good place for bearings. How do you determine if bearings need replacing, mine all feel smooth with no bad spots. I have 45 years in the machine tool business so I have some experience with knowing what a bad bearing feels like although these are a little higher RPM than my experiences.

Looks like ICBIMP might be a good place for gaskets.

Thanks for any input as I attempt to read all 1,521 pages on this forum..... Mike in Michigan
Old 11-15-2018, 05:46 AM
Hobbsy

https://www.horizonhobby.com/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=Saito+80+parts&categoryId=&sourceDomain=&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageSize=40&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&searchTermScope=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&sourceDomain=&pageView=

Some 80 parts, the best way to search Horizon for parts is to use the engine codes, the 65 is Saito G, the 80 is Saito I, and the 91 is Saito K, the Golden Knights have their own codes. Welcome and enjoy.

These gaskets are excellent quality, I've already used some of them: http://icbimproducts.com/gaskets/new...php?groupid=80

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-15-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by mirion
Hi All, New guy here. This looks like a forum I could like, I have read about 40 pages so far, lots of comradery. Having recently retired I am getting back into RC flying after about a 20 year absence. I started out reading as much as I can about the latest stuff. I then bought a copy of Real Flight Simulator and did a little honing of the relexes, it felt good so I bought a EFlite Maule electric (not to crazy about electric) so that I could get some stick time this fall before the Michigan snow flew. Kind of like riding a bike, it all came back and I am excited to get my Ultra Sport 60, Goldberg Chipmunk and a couple others back in shape for spring. Most of my engines, mostly 4-strokes were gummed up. I loosened them up a little with some kerosene so I could partially disassemble them. I then put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner and they came out looking like new. It was fun tearing them down and I got an education on the different brands seeing as I have an Enya 80, a 48 OS Surpass and several Saitos, they all have slightly different variations on the cam timing systems. The David McIntire videos on YouTube were a big help. I have also picked up a couple more used Saitos off Fleabay and I have a couple questions regarding the Saitos.

First off, where is the best place to pick up Saito parts (I have some older ones, FA91, FA80 and FA65) I found a place called McGregor/Hobby Plastic in the UK, are there any others state side?

It looks like Boca is a good place for bearings. How do you determine if bearings need replacing, mine all feel smooth with no bad spots. I have 45 years in the machine tool business so I have some experience with knowing what a bad bearing feels like although these are a little higher RPM than my experiences.

Thanks for any input as I attempt to read all 1,521 pages on this forum..... Mike in Michigan

I have been very happy with sourcing parts from the folks at Mc Gregors. They seen to have a good supply of the older parts that horizon often ignores. Also do well buying parts on eBay as every now and then Saito owners sell off parts they no longer need.
The rings from eBay (and direct) ring maker in England known as "Swarf Monkey" are excellent. Properly made and heat treated, every oneI have purchased has worked perfectly. Failing that, some lathe owners make them at home when needed. (My lathe is one tool that I will not give up ) Gaskets, you can make em or buy them. Several sources for bearings .For engines I intend to keep around, I usually try to source US or European made, name brand high quality bearings. Pays off in the long run.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Dave if your gonna thin the herd let's start right here.I've loaded the blunderbuss with a big handful of black powder then a whole shovel load of goat manure.Off to the shed now to tack jims picture to the dart board,cheers mate.

LOL LOL

Jim
Saito Engines: oh yeeaa ba-by
Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Jim, I'm going to send the extra back plate your way in a day or two, I tried the back plate off of my 82-b and the crank pin touched the aluminum back plate. I'll send two gaskets in case you need them for a little clearance. The gaskets are coming from the new gasket guy in town.
thank you Dave, you are the greatest, I am going to owe you LOL

Jim
Old 11-15-2018, 11:52 AM
the Wasp

nice to see you here Mike,
as for your bearings, if you remove the back plate and you see rust on the bearings>, I say replace them,, yet on some engines you can not see the rear bearing with the back plate removed, so with those type engines you just have to account for how much fuel has been run threw them, and how much after run oil has been used in them, and the feel of the bearings as you turn the crank (without a glow plug in the head), also check to see how loose the bearings are.. cheap bearings can rust in 2, 3 or 4 gallons, < I have seen it (as well as many other Heli pilots have),, good bearings will lest longer, specially if after run oil is used and a spray out is done for the winter's sleep,, here is an example. my OS 61 lived a hard life, it saw little after run oil, it was some 15 years old and had 7 gallons run threw it when I replaced the bearings, the bearings had some rust yet I have seen worse, they turned ok but they felt a bit loose, it was time to replace them, I used quality NTN bearings, and after I replaced them>>> the new front bearing started to leak on the 3rd tank of fuel,, go figure, that's the hobby

good luck, buy more Saitos LOL
Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 11-15-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:33 PM
RC-Bearings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgee
Hi, I have a Saito 82b in a Pawnee that I was flying today and the engine dead sticked and then restarted without glow. This happened to me twice. Just wondering if anyone knows why this would happen? Thanks
That is sometimes a symptom of too much compression for the amount of nitro. I have seen pylon racing engines start with no power to the glow just flipping the prop.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 PM
Rudolph Hart

LOL LOL

Jim
Saito Engines: oh yeeaa ba-by
You would'nt be laughing if you saw the target after.Dried goat manure pellets are way bigger than BB's

Welcome mirion,gary has a good point,buy quality bearings.I prefer ngk's.As to checking your bearings in the saito's you have,i don't just go by feel when you turn the prop over with the plug out,that can feel ok but you need to rock the prop at the tips back and forth at 90 deg to rotation.Gently grip the prop tips and rock back and forth,any play that can be heard by a clicking noise can also be felt.It's flyable if there is a tiny bit of play but the writing is on the wall.Cheers mate

Dave sounds cold/wintery over your way.They could sure use some of your weather in california right now poor buggers.Everything i hear here on the news sounds worse and worse
Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
buy quality bearings.I prefer ngk's.
I agree, I have NGK's in my OS 50, nice bearings

Jim
Old 11-16-2018, 05:47 AM
mirion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I have NGK's in my OS 50, nice bearings

Jim
I am thinking you guts probably meant to say NSK bearings, right, I cant find any NGK bearings, just spark plugs.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 AM
Hobbsy

I am thinking you guts probably meant to say NSK bearings, right, I cant find any NGK bearings, just spark plugs.
Jim, these would be the bearings for a Saito 80, I have used these exclusively for about 20 years.: https://www.bocabearings.com/model-s...temFeatures=80 usually with free shipping.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:37 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

That reminds me, the 72 on my SSE tends to howl, thinking a bearing may be going bad, though they are smooth with no slop. Guess I need to open it up. Should have checked when I replaced the jug on it.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:55 AM
Jesse Open

The bargain bearings work okay, Like I said earlier, for engines I intend to spend some time with; I find it worthwhile to get name brand, graded bearings . Prefer old stock, US or European made or old stock Japanese made "NTN" or "NSK" branded.

Not the end of the world either way but the higher graded bearings are usually worth the effort for engines that will see a lot of use in airplanes
Old 11-16-2018, 07:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Bearings are like everything else you get what you pay for.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by flyerinokc
bearings are like everything else you get what you pay for.
amen!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:33 PM
the Wasp

yes, NSK, < them there they are

Dave, looks like I owe you $11:88 LOL

Jim
Old 11-17-2018, 12:43 AM
Rudolph Hart

I think mike is going to have the last laugh here,it's me suffering a touch of alz this time see pic.What was your job occupation mirion?

Bruce (acdc) worn bearings in flight don't make a howling noise might be prop and other things you are hearing.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:11 AM
Hobbsy

Testing to see if we can red this
I find this interesting, peak torque at 6,300, max power at 9,700, look how far the torque falls off at 10,500. My habit of propping in the mid nines seems to be a good thing. Thoughts please.

Sorry, it's a Saito 82-a

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-17-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.