Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:23 PM
cahusker
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jesse Open

Early fathead or later style?
Later style with both the intake and exhaust ports threaded. Look just like the ones in your photo.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:14 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

the site would not let me post all that I type, so I posted again, below

Last edited by the Wasp; 03-03-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:18 PM
the Wasp

hey guys, it's story time,

I have been looking for an automotive battery charger on line for 7 days now. to know where I am coming from, I bought my old RAC brand charger back in 1978 (4 amp). well early January it shorted out after those 40 years, to tell the truth I was vary well proud and fond of it for lasting so long. I mean I loved it, it had been part of my life for 40 years !!, I paid $18 for it in 1978 !! so my price for a new one started at $30 before I started looking 7 days ago, once I started looking on line my price went up quite quickly to $40, then a day later to $60, well now my price is up to $100,

the thing is that because most chargers today are automatic they will NOT read power from a completely dead battery, so if a battery is completely dead these changers will not put power to the clamps, so LOL these battery chargers will not charger a dead battery LOL, what a concept, a battery charger that will not charger a dead battery, even chargers that cost $200 will not charge a dead battery unless you first get some power into that battery, just crazy,, I guess from what some say you can use the Starter Boost first to put power in the battery so then you put it on charge,,

well, so I see these Schumacher chargers, and I find they are made in the USA,,, hey now,, I like that there,,,, the one I was looking at was a $60 charger on sale for $34, but in the 30 stores I looked at no one had it in stock, so I called a store, and it's not in production any more, and I was also told that Schmacher is NOT making parts any more, so they are NOT made inside the USA any more,, with that my price jumped to $60,, yes yes just my luck .. well she told me to try to find an older USA model on line,,

so I looked and looked for an older model Schumacher, and looked for other quality brands, after 2 more days my spending price jumped to $80, well I found a $140 older Schumacher for $99, but as said my pricing was set at LOL $80,, LOL I kept looking, LOL well yesterday I said screw it, I will order that one for $99, went looking for it,, and,, and I can't find it LOL LOL

OK, now lets go back 5 months ago, I bought a new Interstate battery for my Van, 2 months later, my NEW battery IS bad, that's the day my 40 y.o. RAC battery went bad,, so I jump start the Van with the car and drive to Interstate, they check the NEW battery, yee-up, the new 2 month old Interstate battery is bad, a cell is dead,, sO, the shop give's me a new battery,,, and,, it's an upgrade, they put it in, test my alternator, it's good LOL,,, I ask the guy where they are made,, he says some are made in Mexico,,,,,,,,, well, that's just great,,,,,,,, just two moths later this 2nd NEW battery wont hold a charge,,,, that's right, 2 Mexican made Interstate Batteries in 4 months>>>>> go bad !!!!,,,

so last night (Saturday) I found that $99 Schumacker on line at the Tractor Supply store, the site tells me the charger is in stock at the store in my town, so today (Sunday) I go to the store and fined that charger and I pick it up,,, and what did it say in nice big lettering, bod-a-boom>> made in Mexico,

so I found and talked to the the store's manager, in short I told him my ^Mexican made dead battery (s) story^,,, and,,, I also told him>>>>>>>> "I will not buy a Mexican made battery charger", I turned and left the store..

now I am back to square one !!

a side note) there are many chargers out there in that $100 range that are good chargers, but 99% of them use Pillow Buttons, and I just rather not have pillow buttons, this $99 charger I was looking to buy had rocking switches,,, many chargers are clowns, any others have questionable, unknown names, and many of the better brand have sold out or went to Automatic type so they will not charge a totally bad battery

BTW, all this was told in short !!

hey, it's Monday now
Jim
boy I wish Saito made Automotive Battery Chargers !!!

Last edited by the Wasp; 03-03-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I gave up on interstate batteries a long time ago.
I go to Walmart and buy the middle grade batteries and they last about the four years a battery should. And they usually are 100 cheaper then interstate. And this is because when i buy batteries for my truck i have ti buy two. “Darn Diesel “
as far as chargers go i am with you they suck, i still have a couple old chargers that are straight up chargers and work good. The other thing when they test batteries they use some sort of electronic test that I don’t think works well either i use the old clamp it on and short out the battery style, it worked well for me for 30 years.
So any way good luck and maybe Saito will come out with a charger some day lol
Old 03-04-2019, 12:24 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Neiko #40120A 6/12V Battery Charger $32.05
check this out looks like it might be what you are looking for
Old 03-04-2019, 02:57 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Jim,

Your old charger is likely very repairable. Usually it is a dead diode. I used to repair chargers for the local secondhand tool store and have a few laying around. Even the old manual type that will charge a dead battery. The reason many will not is due to the problem with shorted cells. Dead batteries will often have one or more shorted cells that will no longer accept a charge. One shorted cell makes a10 volt battery out of a 12 volt battery. Put a constant voltage charger across that battery and the current demand can soar. The remaining cells can go into overcharge quickly boil off explosive gasses. Some poor idiot mechanic will walk up and pull the clip offa terminal and make a pretty nasty explosion.
Most new high rate chargers are the automatic type, They can ruin a battery in their own way but that is another story.

Anyhow, if you want to ship, I can repair your old charger. On the other hand, that Mexican made is probably just fine.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 03-04-2019 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:56 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

NAPA charger
I use this from NAPA 29 bucks five years ago, 34 bucks now. It works
Old 03-04-2019, 04:06 AM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Ok so i what does a 150 with an “A” on the lug mean?
It means that your 150 is the 2nd generation, the first generation like mine here has no initial on the right. Mine has 11.24 to 1 compression. I don't know how soon Saito lowered it.

No Initial

Last edited by Hobbsy; 03-04-2019 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 03-04-2019, 04:23 AM
Jesse Open

Here is the Plain-Jane, aluminum version of the "high compression" FA-150, also from the first batch. I had a standing order at the LHS when the word came out about the then new 150. This was the first that came in to our LHS. ( In support of the LHS, never buy from Horizon directly)
Also, a pic of what they look like is an airplane, this time , a Rascal 110.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:28 AM
Hobbsy

I had that same arrangement with Apex Hobbies in Tazewell, Va., my local Hobby Shop which was only 400 miles south west of here. My daughter bought the 150-S for me for Christmas.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:40 AM
Jesse Open

I gave up on interstate batteries a long time ago.
I go to Walmart and buy the middle grade batteries and they last about the four years a battery should. And they usually are 100 cheaper then interstate. And this is because when i buy batteries for my truck i have ti buy two. “Darn Diesel “
as far as chargers go i am with you they suck, i still have a couple old chargers that are straight up chargers and work good. The other thing when they test batteries they use some sort of electronic test that I don’t think works well either i use the old clamp it on and short out the battery style, it worked well for me for 30 years.
So any way good luck and maybe Saito will come out with a charger some day lol
We just replaced the OEM Delco battery in my wife's 2001 Olds Aurora V8. It has the battery mounted below the backseat so it doesn't see the temperature extremes that exist under the typical automobile's hood. It wasn't bad, just replaced it because it is so old. My good old,HHR from 2009 also is a rear mounted battery, under the cargo deck at the rear of the car. That OEM Delco battery is still going strong but I am replacing it this spring anyhow. I used an "Optimum" AGM battery in my old 1987 S-15 GMC everybody in the house drove that truck , also went out on load to mant friends! I hardly ever .drove it. That truck had about 210,000 on the Optimum when I sold it to the Mexican landscaper down the road.
Been using AGM only on all motorcycles since 2005. Outstanding durability and very low self discharge rate, especially in cold weather.
Jim, I may have an old Dayton (USA) charger out in the shed if you can use it.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:37 AM
the Wasp

Captcrunch44

[QUOTE]I go to Walmart and buy the middle grade batteries and they last about the four years a battery should[/QUOTE]

I remember back when the Die Hard's batteries came to the market, my 2 older brothers would buy them, the 4 year battery had a warranted for like 3 years>>>> you could get 7 years out of them in the Vermont weather,,, LOL now that right there was the ticket LOL

Garry,,
Your old charger is likely very repairable. Usually it is a dead diode.

one of the glass cups that held the mercury popped, I removed the other cup, took it to recycling and dumped the charger,, I thought about fixing it, my dad was electrician, I could have fixed it, but I did not want to trust it,,

that will charge a dead battery. The reason many will not is due to the problem with shorted cells
these new chargers have a safety mode whereby you will not get a spark if the clamps come together, so if a battery is completely dead with no volts the charger can not read the battery therefore it will not put power to the clamps,

Anyhow, if you want to ship, I can repair your old charger.
thank you vary much my friend !!! if I still had it I surely would send it to you,, I found one on line NIB but some one had bought it,

that Mexican made is probably just fine
what I liked about that Mexican made charger is>>
A) it had 4 amp modes, a 2 amp trickle, 6 amp, 20 amps, and 150 amps for a starter boost,
B) it has 2 manual modes (20 amps and 150 amps),
C) once sat at 6 amps it will automatically switch to 2 amps when the battery is fully charged,
D) it has wheels, so I don't have to set it on the ground or set it on something like the hood of the mower where it could fall off,

what I don;t like about it is>>
1) will it last ??
2) what I dislike most it does not have a gauge,, I want a gauge !

Dave, I saw those chargers on line, just about every one is selling them, you can buy them under the name "Solar", those cost more money !

Jim
Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM
the Wasp

Jim, I may have an old Dayton (USA) charger out in the shed if you can use it.
I would hate to take it from you, really !!, besides, I got myself into a frenzy about these new automatic chargers, maybe I can find one actually works well, and I think I have found one, I am going to call Century and find out or if it's loaded with problems, if it's good I will order it,

and it's beautiful LOL
https://www.eautotools.com/ASO-9060-p/aso-9060.htm

Jim
Old 03-04-2019, 11:01 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I had a pair of Optima red tops in my 99 Powerstroke Dually. Since diesel was so damned expensive the truck say unused for a long time. I went to start it and both batts were ded dead. I put my charger on that has sensors for voltage and that crap and left for a week. Didn't do squat. Then I set it to jump mode and left it, going out twice a day to reset it. Eventually both batteries had enough charge in them that the standard charger took over. Believe it or not, I fully recovered both batteries that I could start and drive it. Worse mistake I made, that last drive was to trade it in on a new 2012 F150. I wish I had kept that truck, I am looking to get another one for 5th wheel towing, and the prices of a decent one like what I have is twice what I sold it for!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Jesse Open

[QUOTE=the Wasp;12507581]Captcrunch44

I
2) what I dislike most it does not have a gauge,, I want a gauge !

Jim
You can buy an ammeter for a few bucks and put it in. A voltmeter just as easily.

The Optima in my S-15 would stay near 100% for months at a time during winter, the last few years I had that truck it saw little use. That truck, unlike todays had no parasitic loads from on board electronics . When you shut it off, zero current. The Odyssey AGM batteries I use in motorcycles are the same way. Bought a wrecked 2001 Guzzi 1100 Sport in 2002. When I got it the battery was zero volts, I thought it was toast. A year later, I finally had the bike back together and figured what the heck? I charged that battery and used it for the next 5 years till I sold the bike. Still worked fine.

There is an easy fix for those voltage sensing chargers
Old 03-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Glowgeek

Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=Jesse Open;12507605]
Originally Posted by the Wasp

There is an easy fix for those voltage sensing chargers
Do tell
Old 03-04-2019, 01:50 PM
the Wasp

[QUOTE=Glowgeek;12507639]
Originally Posted by Jesse Open

Do tell
I think he'll tell you to put it on the driveway and run over it 20 or 30 times LOL
Old 03-04-2019, 01:56 PM
the Wasp

Garry, I called Associated Equipment about the charger in my link above, the guy was a total jerk, he said it was from the early 90s and imported, he made it sound like it's not worth buying, just before he told me the new ones are imported too

Jim
Old 03-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Can you let us know how you go about refinishing the fa56gk? not to critic just interested in how other people do it and how it looks.The seekers group i grew up listening to in NZ,had a schoolboy crush on judith durham she rang all my bells and whistles.Brings back memories for all the 60's and 70's long hair and flared pants brigade here,much gentler times.Gordon lightfoot and simon and garfunkel too.Looking back it seems like one minute i'm listening to that and the next thing you know ACDC gate crashes the whole party.I'm blaming all the parties

Okey Dokey Pete, here's the first look a the 56 GK, no cleaning done yet
Old 03-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Okey Dokey Pete, here's the first look a the 56 GK, no cleaning done yet
Speaking of which, what process are you engine rebuilders using to clean the baked on castor? I've been cooking the parts in crock pot using 100% antifreeze @ 170°f for 12-24 hrs. Any hotter and it can discolor the castings. I haven't found anything else that works as good so far.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Hobbsy

I use that on the plain Jane's and Dupli Color Grease and Oil remover on the GK's.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:50 PM
Glowgeek

[QUOTE=the Wasp;12507645]
Originally Posted by Glowgeek

I think he'll tell you to put it on the driveway and run over it 20 or 30 times LOL
Heehee, yeah I missed seeing his "wink" emoticon on his post. A sledge hammer works too and no wasted fuel or the possibility of a flat. Please wear eye protection.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I use that on the plain Jane's and Dupli Color Grease and Oil remover on the GK's.
Grease and wax remover maybe?
Old 03-04-2019, 04:04 PM
the Wasp

Neiko #40120A 6/12V Battery Charger $32.05
check this out looks like it might be what you are looking for

sorry Captain,, I was going to reply !!

I saw that Neico charger 4 or 5 days ago, and they make a slightly better one with an amp gauge, my god it looks sO nice it looks like it's made in Japan. so I searched it on Google Images (like everything else I search), I found it's brought into the USA by the "American Tool" company. and the company Neiko makes many hand tools, and they have another company make that charger in China. LOL you see I liked it so I called American Tools and asked about that charger.. but before I called as I was searching it I told myself that I would buy it if it's made in Japan, well as I searched it I started seeing prices from $45 to $77 for that higher priced model, then I called American Tools.. I didn't like that I found different prices from $45 to $77 for an $89 charger

as for that Associated charger I linked in my other post, I called, it's not available..

Click image for larger version

Name:	401261__1.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	2263597

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 03-04-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by the Wasp
sorry Captain,, I was going to reply !!

I saw that Neico charger 4 or 5 days ago, and they make a slightly better one with an amp gauge, my god it looks sO nice it looks like it's made in Japan. so I searched it on Google Images (like everything else I search), I found it's brought into the USA by the "American Tool" company. and the company Neiko makes many hand tools, and they have another company make that charger in China. LOL you see I liked it so I called American Tools and asked about that charger.. but before I called as I was searching it I told myself that I would buy it if it's made in Japan, well as I searched it I started seeing prices from $45 to $77 for that higher priced model, then I called American Tools.. I didn't like that I found different prices from $45 to $77 for an $89 charger

as for that Associated charger I linked in my other post, I called, it's not available..

Attachment 2263597

Jim
I pick up old vintage manual chargers at garage sales once in a while. I look for ones with issues like missing or broken clamps or frayed wires. Plug it in, if it goes arcy sparky it's good to go. I never pay more than $10. The last one I got for $5 appeared to have little use so I didn't bother testing it. That darn thing cost me $3 in button diodes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.