Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM
  #40526  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,992
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

5 of those biguns would have helped balance the Rascal! That would be nearly 5 pounds of lead I could have removed.

At some point Ni-Cads will no longer be available, in fact the EU and UK banned their sales for everything except Medical and a few select categories.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM
  #40527  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Gary, I see you have a Dragon Lady, too bad they stopped making them, I would have bought one a long time ago

Jim
Hey Jim, there's a fella on rcg called Heggen, he drew up basic plans for both the 40 and 60 size DL last year. He sends plans out for cost of shipping.The original DL ARC manual is available online in pdf format
Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 PM
  #40528  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,712
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
5 of those biguns would have helped balance the Rascal! That would be nearly 5 pounds of lead I could have removed.

At some point Ni-Cads will no longer be available, in fact the EU and UK banned their sales for everything except Medical and a few select categories.

Yes, the availability issue is a future concern.
In the meantime, I am very happy with the cells I have been getting. And the reliability, predictability has been excellent since first using NiCds in the 1960s.


I am also very pleased with how well NiMh work in transmitters but I no longer use Delta peak chargers for them.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:29 PM
  #40529  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Hey Jim, there's a fella on rcg called Heggen, he drew up basic plans for both the 40 and 60 size DL last year. He sends plans out for cost of shipping.The original DL ARC manual is available online in pdf format

: sO you will build me one from scratch if I get the prints, how nice of you, make it a bit bigger for my K&B 100 snicker snicker


Jim
Old 05-07-2019, 06:30 PM
  #40530  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

let me tell you, I couldn't cut wood straight even if Pete helped me

Jim
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM
  #40531  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open



Yes, the availability issue is a future concern.
In the meantime, I am very happy with the cells I have been getting. And the reliability, predictability has been excellent since first using NiCds in the 1960s.

I am also very pleased with how well NiMh work in transmitters but I no longer use Delta peak chargers for them.
I wouldn't mind buying a 1900 sub-c pack for my VQ P-40 but not for the others,
I guess I could buy the 1200 pack for my Worlds Model 46 size P-40, cause that's just a crasher plane

Jim
Old 05-08-2019, 12:28 AM
  #40532  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Guys i have a fuel question.I'm giving the fa115 a yearly birthday with new o rings etc and rinsing the fuel tank.Since i only strain the in going fuel to the tank with the normal inline filter after the hand pump, i thought it would be interesting to pour the fuel tank residue through a fine mesh coffee filter and see what happened.It had a lot of short white fine hairs trapped in it...i've seen this before, any ideas?

ps jim,a lawyer karks it and arrives at the pearly gates.Not fair, he said, I'm only 45, Saint pete said no, we got a new system.Now we do it by billable hours.According to our records you're 153.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:48 AM
  #40533  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,712
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
I wouldn't mind buying a 1900 sub-c pack for my VQ P-40 but not for the others,
I guess I could buy the 1200 pack for my Worlds Model 46 size P-40, cause that's just a crasher plane

Jim

I bought some 1800 or 1900 mAh NiCd packs on eBay last year. They were made for standby emergency lights so all I had to do was solder on the needed wire and Futaba connectors.
The price was right too.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM
  #40534  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Garry: I bought some 1800 or 1900 mAh NiCd packs on eBay last year. They were made for standby emergency lights so all I had to do was solder on the needed wire and Futaba connectors.
The price was right too.
it's the red sub-C that are the SCR's, them's the babies, the power they put out, we used them in the late 80s for buggy racing, the yellows never had a chance, the SCRs would take 10 amps on a charge, that is what my Tekin would put out as long as the alternator was turning ,, flying is a different story tho, I charger slower, but still the red's are the ones


Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Guys i have a fuel question.I'm giving the fa115 a yearly birthday with new o rings etc and rinsing the fuel tank.Since i only strain the in going fuel to the tank with the normal inline filter after the hand pump, i thought it would be interesting to pour the fuel tank residue through a fine mesh coffee filter and see what happened.It had a lot of short white fine hairs trapped in it...i've seen this before, any ideas?
ps jim,a lawyer karks it and arrives at the pearly gates.Not fair, he said, I'm only 45, Saint pete said no, we got a new system.Now we do it by billable hours.According to our records you're 153.
Pete, I am wondering if it's bit of plastic flaking off the Chinese fuel tanks, or fuel line. if they are plastic they should melt once heated, try heating them on some metal, by on an old spoon,, also try filtering some fresh fuel and see if you get these hairs !!
this is something I will have to test for..

as for that lawyer, from the lawyer stories I have heard most likely he didn't stepped threw the gate LOL

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 05-08-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 AM
  #40535  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,992
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Satan has a special room for all lawyers and politicians (and car salesmen) in Hell. When they enter the room everyone is standing in 2 feet of excrement, talking, laughing, smoking, drinking, and they think, well, this isn't too bad. They enter and a few minutes later a voice booms, OK, Break time is over, everyone back on their heads!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:35 PM
  #40536  
cdrc1
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 100 problem

Having an transition problem with my Saito 100. It is mounted upside down in a TF warbird; has a OB glow driver, and a pump. When transitioning from idle, the engine is sagging around mid range and then some times just stalls. If I slowly take the throttle up it seems to be fine. At high RPM is running around 8900 RPM. Also the high speed needle is very sensitive to adjustments. Checked the valves and they are good. The low speed needle is in along ways which is interesting. If I run slightly rich on the low speed it floods easy at idle and will stall. Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2019, 02:35 AM
  #40537  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cdrc1
Having an transition problem with my Saito 100. It is mounted upside down in a TF warbird; has a OB glow driver, and a pump. When transitioning from idle, the engine is sagging around mid range and then some times just stalls. If I slowly take the throttle up it seems to be fine. At high RPM is running around 8900 RPM. Also the high speed needle is very sensitive to adjustments. Checked the valves and they are good. The low speed needle is in along ways which is interesting. If I run slightly rich on the low speed it floods easy at idle and will stall. Any ideas?
Sounds like too much pump pressure or your glow driver quit working. Is this a new problem with an existing set up or a new set up? What prop? What pump?

If it's a new problem I'd try a new glow plug first. If that doesn't fix it I'd bypass the pump, disable the glow driver and retune. You shouldn't need either to run your fa100 in a TF warbird unless they botched the fuel tank location.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-09-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:01 AM
  #40538  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,992
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Tune the needles better. I had the same engine in a P-51 and could not get it to run. I reset both LSN and HSN, and got it to run so well it wouldn't shut off. Also check the tank position, it may be too high which is causing it to get too much fuel. Easy way to check, drain the tank, and fill it less than half and see how it runs. Do this first and see.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 AM
  #40539  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,712
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Hey Jim, there's a fella on rcg called Heggen, he drew up basic plans for both the 40 and 60 size DL last year. He sends plans out for cost of shipping.The original DL ARC manual is available online in pdf format

That is good news! The 40 size could be a treat and there are plenty of areas where weight could be trimmed from the ARF. I got this one as a "damaged, return" years ago. It had a few bruises and punctures. I will have to see if Heggen is still offering.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:56 AM
  #40540  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cdrc1
Having an transition problem with my Saito 100. It is mounted upside down in a TF warbird; has a OB glow driver, and a pump. When transitioning from idle, the engine is sagging around mid range and then some times just stalls. If I slowly take the throttle up it seems to be fine. At high RPM is running around 8900 RPM. Also the high speed needle is very sensitive to adjustments. Checked the valves and they are good. The low speed needle is in along ways which is interesting. If I run slightly rich on the low speed it floods easy at idle and will stall. Any ideas?
if the engine has been running a few years and sets in the winter I would remove the Carb and clean it well, and the pump and tank too, the pump can get dirty inside and need cleaning and as the pump gets older it may need adjusting

Jim
Old 05-09-2019, 11:07 PM
  #40541  
cdrc1
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The tank position is why I went with a pump. It is a perry pump and is a new set-up/new plane; engine was tuned and broke in on a test stand right side up. The on-board glow shuts off around 1/4 throttle.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:47 AM
  #40542  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Sounds like too much pump pressure or your glow driver quit working. Is this a new problem with an existing set up or a new set up? What prop? What pump?

If it's a new problem I'd try a new glow plug first. If that doesn't fix it I'd bypass the pump, disable the glow driver and retune. You shouldn't need either to run your fa100 in a TF warbird unless they botched the fuel tank location.
CDRC the above is very good advice,we've all done a flying tune (very different from running it on the bench) on a saito inverted in an arf with a high fuel tank position and there are many things you can do,so you end up with a smooth and powerful saito in your arf?? if you answer some of the above questions in a bit more detail it's easier to help you,pics are good too.

ps jim the small fine white fibre is not plastic,i use dubro or sullivan tanks and good fuel line.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:00 AM
  #40543  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,712
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Could the fibres have come with the fuel that you put in? Perhaps one of the manufacturers used a textile based filter of some type?
Old 05-10-2019, 03:02 AM
  #40544  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cdrc1
The tank position is why I went with a pump. It is a perry pump and is a new set-up/new plane; engine was tuned and broke in on a test stand right side up. The on-board glow shuts off around 1/4 throttle.
It's good you ran it on the bench first, that can alleviate many problems. Hopefully you've replaced the glow plug after break in? Even though a glow plug can look perfect after new engine break in runs there will be with tiny metal particles attached to the wire element. Replace it before doing final preflight tuning.

A properly tuned engine running in an upright position on a test bench will require retuning when mounted inverted on an airframe. In all likelihood it will run rich when flipped over, especially if the carb has no velocity stack. Retuning is required.

Perry pumps are needed if your fuel tank centerline is very low in comparison to your carb spraybar or when your fuel tank is located farther back away from the firewall. I'm not sure with your TF warbird if either of those apply. I would try tuning without the pump though, one less thing to be concerned with for now.

Glow drivers can be useful especially with newly broke in engines where idle can be unpredictable. They can also camouflage an overly rich low speed needle (lsn) setting which I believe is what you are experiencing. Turn in (lean) the lsn until your transition gets crisp. You'll know you've leaned it too far when the engine pops or dies when goosing the throttle after idling for 15 seconds.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-10-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:12 PM
  #40545  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
CDRC the above is very good advice,we've all done a flying tune (very different from running it on the bench) on a saito inverted in an arf with a high fuel tank position and there are many things you can do,so you end up with a smooth and powerful saito in your arf?? if you answer some of the above questions in a bit more detail it's easier to help you,pics are good too.
ps jim the small fine white fibre is not plastic,i use dubro or sullivan tanks and good fuel line.
Hey Pete, what about that filter you say you have for your pump, could the hairs be coming from that filter, or even the pump it's self ?? I have a filter for my gallon jug and it's not metal, check that filter

Jim
Old 05-10-2019, 06:13 PM
  #40546  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

wheres Dave ? I hope things are fine with him !!

Jim
Old 05-10-2019, 10:05 PM
  #40547  
cdrc1
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Answers

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
It's good you ran it on the bench first, that can alleviate many problems. Hopefully you've replaced the glow plug after break in? Even though a glow plug can look perfect after new engine break in runs there will be with tiny metal particles attached to the wire element. Replace it before doing final preflight tuning.

A properly tuned engine running in an upright position on a test bench will require retuning when mounted inverted on an airframe. In all likelihood it will run rich when flipped over, especially if the carb has no velocity stack. Retuning is required.

Perry pumps are needed if your fuel tank centerline is very low in comparison to your carb spraybar or when your fuel tank is located farther back away from the firewall. I'm not sure with your TF warbird if either of those apply. I would try tuning without the pump though, one less thing to be concerned with for now.

Glow drivers can be useful especially with newly broke in engines where idle can be unpredictable. They can also camouflage an overly rich low speed needle (lsn) setting which I believe is what you are experiencing. Turn in (lean) the lsn until your transition gets crisp. You'll know you've leaned it too far when the engine pops or dies when goosing the throttle after idling for 15 seconds.
Use Sullivan filters on all my planes and on field box fuel bottle. Have replaced the glow plug at least once and using a 4-stroke plug as recommended by Saito. The prop is a 14x7. Perry pump is a VP-30 regulating pump. Will try leaning the low side some more but have tried that once and it did pop and threw the spinner/prop.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:47 AM
  #40548  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
wheres Dave ? I hope things are fine with him !!

Jim
Was wondering the same thing.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:14 AM
  #40549  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,524
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Gary, check your PM
Old 05-11-2019, 06:32 PM
  #40550  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,365
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Lonnie, we screwed up, I should have also sent you my 125 Carb to try

Jim

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.