Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 08-11-2019, 05:25 AM
  #41676  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,753
Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
JIm, so far the 82 carb on the 56 trial is a bust, when you tighten the carb mount screws to the final torque, the pipe moves sideways a small fraction and then leaks. A fatter O-ring is not possible, yet.

You need a pair of thin bushings sweated in place. One above and one below the O ring.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:21 PM
  #41677  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Yes sir, I have one for the lower , it's about .125" too long, I'll have to shorten it very neatly. I am pondering the possibilities.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:38 PM
  #41678  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,753
Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Yes sir, I have one for the lower , it's about .125" too long, I'll have to shorten it very neatly. I am pondering the possibilities.
I have complete converted pipe around here that I made a few years ago.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:14 PM
  #41679  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,382
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
JIm, so far the 82 carb on the 56 trial is a bust, when you tighten the carb mount screws to the final torque, the pipe moves sideways a small fraction and then leaks. A fatter O-ring is not possible, yet.

Dave, see if the 82's manifold will fit in the 56 head, if it does you may have to shorten it off the bottom.

EDIT, I posted before I read these posts above on this page
Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-11-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:03 AM
  #41680  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Ok spray bar for 65 is the same as...
Old 08-12-2019, 04:10 AM
  #41681  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Ok spray bar for 65 is the same as...

OK Sir, the 65 engine code is G:

Compatible Products

Saito Engines Spray Bar Assembly w/ O-ring G SAI65122A is compatible with SAIE056, SAIE056CL, SAIE056GK, SAIE062A, SAIE062ACL, SAIE062AGK, SAIE065
Old 08-12-2019, 04:11 AM
  #41682  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,575
Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Ok spray bar for 65 is the same as...
Horizon page shows it's compatible with 56, 62 & 65.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/spray-b...ng-g-sai65122a

Dave beat me to it again.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:34 AM
  #41683  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Thanks guys
on the way
and Bochum bearings right?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:46 AM
  #41684  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,753
Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Capital B


The last batch I bought from RC Bearings on EBay were NSK from Japan, excellent quality.
(Not no-name Chinese)

As some like to say; My engines were very happy

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-12-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 AM
  #41685  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Yeah Boca
Dam auto correct!!!!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:28 PM
  #41686  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,382
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

good golly-gee guys, I forgot to rap down on this here substance last night.

so you guys know I have that beautiful Saito 115 for my VQ P-40. well I think I'm in big trouble here

while at the field yesterday I got to see a .60 size Top Flight ARF Mustang zip around with an OS 65AX strapped to it, it had the stock OS 61FX muffler on it. and boy did it go a long really good, it was vary well powered, it climbed out great too.
the plane had Robart air retracts, so I figure with every thing I have read it should come in a good pound more than my VQ P-40.. even if my P-40 comes out to the same weight is going to be a real monster with that Saito 115 strapped to it.
and considering the FA 100 weighs vary much the same as the OS (both w/mufflers) the 100 it's self would be well more than enough power.

yee-up I'm in big trouble

Jim
Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 PM
  #41687  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,382
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Capital B


The last batch I bought from RC Bearings on EBay were NSK from Japan, excellent quality.
(Not no-name Chinese)

As some like to say; My engines were very happy
yeeaa, NSK bearings give me a good feeling too

Jim
Old 08-12-2019, 02:21 PM
  #41688  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,135
Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
good golly-gee guys, I forgot to rap down on this here substance last night.

so you guys know I have that beautiful Saito 115 for my VQ P-40. well I think I'm in big trouble here

while at the field yesterday I got to see a .60 size Top Flight ARF Mustang zip around with an OS 65AX strapped to it, it had the stock OS 61FX muffler on it. and boy did it go a long really good, it was vary well powered, it climbed out great too.
the plane had Robart air retracts, so I figure with every thing I have read it should come in a good pound more than my VQ P-40.. even if my P-40 comes out to the same weight is going to be a real monster with that Saito 115 strapped to it.
and considering the FA 100 weighs vary much the same as the OS (both w/mufflers) the 100 it's self would be well more than enough power.

yee-up I'm in big trouble

Jim
And you can't wait to fly it and see exactly how much trouble you're in!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 PM
  #41689  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,382
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
And you can't wait to fly it and see exactly how much trouble you're in!

heehee yee-s

Jim
Old 08-13-2019, 02:22 AM
  #41690  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Jim just a little brotherly love here try not to throttle up too quickly because then you'll have what they call a conflict of interest with the scenery on the left side of the runway. Buy yourself a REAL GOOD set of glasses, and follow my example of abstaining from drugs and alcohol for, oh, at least a whole day before the test flight, last thing you need is a bad case of the shakes. It's exciting enough just firing it up and checking everything is good to go. I usually warm up by flying something lighter and slower first. If your little mustang flies like mine with the fa115 wind and turbulence won't worry it, they fly like they are on rails and quick too.

ps make sure you feel on top of your game when you taxi out and don't park the plane next to any smelly two strokes just for luck
Old 08-13-2019, 04:22 AM
  #41691  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,575
Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Jim just a little brotherly love here try not to throttle up too quickly because then you'll have what they call a conflict of interest with the scenery on the left side of the runway. Buy yourself a REAL GOOD set of glasses, and follow my example of abstaining from drugs and alcohol for, oh, at least a whole day before the test flight, last thing you need is a bad case of the shakes. It's exciting enough just firing it up and checking everything is good to go. I usually warm up by flying something lighter and slower first. If your little mustang flies like mine with the fa115 wind and turbulence won't worry it, they fly like they are on rails and quick too.

ps make sure you feel on top of your game when you taxi out and don't park the plane next to any smelly two strokes just for luck

Great advice Pete, funny too. Seriously though, it took a simulator for me to grease warbird landings, not just tail draggers but warbirds specifically. Warbirds just need to be nose down on final and there is no other option. With their heavy wing loading stalling can happen near instantaneously and glide slopes don't apply; not in the traditional sense like with say a high wing tail dragger or even a 4 star "whatever" sport tail dragger. These days it seems stupid easy to land anything based on stalling characteristics experienced during higher alitude testing but there was a day when ripping gear off a warbird was the norm for me. Simulators work very well for saving $. Just say'n, these days with the simulator options available there is no excuse for killing a model due to piloting error. Even a cell phone app simulator is better than nothing at all.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:26 AM
  #41692  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,753
Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Don't forget to say "Watch this"
Old 08-13-2019, 06:05 AM
  #41693  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default



The 72 pipe may be a possibility.
Originally Posted by the Wasp
Dave, see if the 82's manifold will fit in the 56 head, if it does you may have to shorten it off the bottom.

EDIT, I posted before I read these posts above on this page
Jim
Jim, here are the 56 pipe and the 82 pipe side by side.

56 and 82 intake pipes.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-13-2019 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Add picture and comment
Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 AM
  #41694  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,753
Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts
Default





Dave, not sure what your plan is?? Isn't the 72 pipe bend the same pattern as the 82? Are you planning on shifting the carb on your 56 to the side like the 72?


Rafael,

Will take your 100 to the PO this week. Had a Dr appointment after work last night so the PO was closed when I was done. Got student training at the field tonight. Wednesday looks best.
You are going to be in love with this one. I have had it set aside for a long time. So long up at the storage shed, I actually forgot it was there!

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-13-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:13 PM
  #41695  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

I let myself get too hurrier, that pipe is for using the 56 carb on the 72, so, it's back to square one without buying anything.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-14-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM
  #41696  
ledesma45
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open

PM your email address. I will get the 100 boxed up.
Hi Jesse, any news?

Thanks

Rafael
Old 08-13-2019, 06:07 PM
  #41697  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Dave
a saito 80 intake has the same bend as the 56 and fits in the 56. The only thing is you have to shorten the pipe a little
Old 08-13-2019, 06:34 PM
  #41698  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,382
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Jim just a little brotherly love here try not to throttle up too quickly because then you'll have what they call a conflict of interest with the scenery on the left side of the runway. Buy yourself a REAL GOOD set of glasses, and follow my example of abstaining from drugs and alcohol for, oh, at least a whole day before the test flight, last thing you need is a bad case of the shakes. It's exciting enough just firing it up and checking everything is good to go. I usually warm up by flying something lighter and slower first. If your little mustang flies like mine with the fa115 wind and turbulence won't worry it, they fly like they are on rails and quick too.

ps make sure you feel on top of your game when you taxi out and don't park the plane next to any smelly two strokes just for luck
Pete, this boy here is a stay clean flyer, no funny street stuff in my system, I don't even drink coffee the mornings the days I fly.

Lonnie, I used to land my ShoeString at about 40% throttle, once on the ground I would go to full throttle and run it down the run way 100ft then lift off. one time I had a guy come up to me and he was laughing hard, he told me that was the funniest thing he ever saw. yes the ShoeString is no P-40, but I know I have to land the P-40s a little bet faster.

I got to get to work on these planes, tomorrow I will get to work on the Mustang's landing gear. remember I told you the gear moves forward/backward, well I got the past wax today, 16oz/ $6.99, I will use about 2 grams for each side LOL.

I hope to bring my brand new smelly 2st OS 70sz Heli engine to the field this weekend to brake in, this will be going in the ShoeString, it's a bolt in fit

Jim
Saito Engines,
Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 AM
  #41699  
Rudolph Hart
 
Rudolph Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default



Jim a good flight in the fa115 mustang can make you feel like this after a few beers...

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Great advice Pete, funny too. Seriously though, it took a simulator for me to grease warbird landings, not just tail draggers but warbirds specifically. Warbirds just need to be nose down on final and there is no other option. With their heavy wing loading stalling can happen near instantaneously and glide slopes don't apply; not in the traditional sense like with say a high wing tail dragger or even a 4 star "whatever" sport tail dragger. These days it seems stupid easy to land anything based on stalling characteristics experienced during higher alitude testing but there was a day when ripping gear off a warbird was the norm for me. Simulators work very well for saving $. Just say'n, these days with the simulator options available there is no excuse for killing a model due to piloting error. Even a cell phone app simulator is better than nothing at all.
Agree with what you say, good points.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:54 AM
  #41700  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Dave
a saito 80 intake has the same bend as the 56 and fits in the 56. The only thing is you have to shorten the pipe a little
Thanks Mike.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.