Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Those old plasma TVs are horrible noise generators. They spew a load of RF interference to radio communications.

My next door "neighbor" had one that totally wiped out my amateur radio operations. Would have been tolerable but it was like his security blanket and it was turned on 24-7. I asked if he could give it a rest at any agreed time. He said no way. I explained that his interference was illegal and I was trying to be reasonable.He still refused. A phone call to the FCC field office brought out an inspector. A week later the neighbor received a warning letter. It promised fines if he continued to operate the noise generator. Now, the neighbor wants my help. Being a nice guy, I bought him a new OLED TV in exchange for the plasma thingy. I could have pushed the point as it was simply on him to stop.

We became pretty good friends too. You could have picked up that TV in the trash,but after I was finished, a simple repair was not
happening.

More than the typical trash picker would care to fix
True story, but you know I am just having a little fun here

Last edited by Jesse Open; 12-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Jesse Open

Good job Dave. Let's hope that firewall is as flat as your saw table
Old 12-12-2019, 08:49 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Here is a little ritual I go through when I attach the engine mounts to a twin, I set the engine on my big band saw table or my drill press table as shown. I exert down pressure while taking up the last half thread or so of the bolts. Snug them while maintaining the pressure, then torque them to 20 inch pounds all around. They are even with no rocking after that.

Even Steven, no rocking.

hey Dave, I'm happy you got that 60, you did a good job on it, here's a little funny story about that 60>, about 2 months ago I PM'ed Gary, I asked if he had a 90Ts he would sell, he said no but he had the 60. I wanted it but I passed on it, I wanted a bit more power for my 4 Star 60, but I did have that 60 in the back of my mind for the next few weeks. but I am very glad you snagged it.

boy, I wish Gary had a low time 100iL twin up for grabs for $100, I'd give him another $200 for the shipping

Gary, do you have another FA 100 carb body you want to sell ??

Jim
Old 12-12-2019, 08:50 PM
the Wasp

hey I thought this was a Saito page, that drag racing chick is back ??? what's going on

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 12-12-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: well the wife's cat (Skippy) has not talked to me in 8 months, now he's yelling at me about my spelling ????
Old 12-13-2019, 02:16 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by the Wasp
hey I thought this was a Saito page, that drag racing chick is back ??? what's going on

Jim
Ya want to see her again?
Nope, no more hundred dollar 100 twins.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:19 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim
Jim, you just know there's twenty feet of garden hose and a golf ball in that story, lets move on for crying out loud.

Dave , gary has a good point about the firewall, do you think you are getting a bit pernickity about torquing the engine down on the mount?
Old 12-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Glowgeek

Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Use Viton in the tank on the clunk line and you don't have to worry about it getting hard and falling apart.
Thank, I'll try that.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:46 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Jim, you just know there's twenty feet of garden hose and a golf ball in that story, lets move on for crying out loud.

Dave , gary has a good point about the firewall, do you think you are getting a bit pernickity about torquing the engine down on the mount?

Pete, I thought the story was about a double shot sling-shot

got me a Saito FA91 setting by my monitor right now, and it's lighter and more powerful than that old smelly OS 61FX

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 12-13-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: I had to edit so I can boast about my Saito FA 91, oo yeeaa
Old 12-13-2019, 08:35 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Pete, I thought the story was about a double shot sling-shot

got me a Saito FA91 setting by my monitor right now, and it's lighter and more powerful than that old smelly OS 61FX

Jim
Jim, that old smelly OS 61FX will make a great paperweight! You can use on plans that try to roll themselves up.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:01 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Jim, that old smelly OS 61FX will make a great paperweight! You can use on plans that try to roll themselves up.
you want to build my TellStar 60 air frame for me, I'll send the engine with the kit LOL

Jim
Old 12-14-2019, 04:26 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart

I wish I could torque the cylinder bases down too, but the Tork-It Bits won't lean over enough, they fit too precisely.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:42 AM
Jesse Open

I wish I could torque the cylinder bases down too, but the Tork-It Bits won't lean over enough, they fit too precisely.

You can Dave, there are a few ways.; takes making a special but fairly easy adapter. Ever seen a major problem in that location from not using a torque wrench though?

BTW, I too have always tweaked those sheet metal feet for flatness.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 12-14-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:04 AM
Hobbsy

Yep, I've seen those feet where they were not exactly flat.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

you want to build my TellStar 60 air frame for me, I'll send the engine with the kit LOL

Jim
Thanks but I have too many projects already!
Old 12-14-2019, 09:24 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
You can Dave, there are a few ways.; takes making a special but fairly easy adapter. Ever seen a major problem in that location from not using a torque wrench though?

BTW, I too have always tweaked those sheet metal feet for flatness.
although I don't take that stuff with my RC motors as seriously. My Harley-Davidson vintage engines always get torqued properly at the cylinder base bolts, head bolts , crank pins etc. Anything with a spec will see a crisscross torque pattern. I have seen more than one chinesium cylinder fail by the dog ear breaking off from metal fatigue or who knows what. Always a
safe bet to always correctly torque a critical fastener.
Laughingly, last week a friend couldn't get a fa100 to run right at the field he was stressfullly trying to maiden.
He had the cowl off and was trying to get to run ("tuning") and it was running like crap( very UN Saito like).
I observed daylight at the cylinder base to case flange.
All four had fasteners loosened to the point of a weeping opening between the cylinder base and crankcase and it was running that way.i
Tightened em up and presto! Normal tuning and running
​​​​​​lol.
Now when I looked down from my Panhead perch at a stop light and saw the same thing happening to my rear cylinder and it dancing a jig and reel with the piston causing the lay back dip at the top of the stroke....
That was noteworthy of a opening of the ignition switch.
Post haste.
Darn repoo chinesium jugs.
Couldn't find American castings last upper end repair...
Bottom line.
Torque practicing is just plain smart.
Some things benefit from a little stretching.
Sometimes even the human grey matter.
No spec for that though.....
​​​​​
Old 12-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
although I don't take that stuff with my RC motors as seriously. My Harley-Davidson vintage engines always get torqued properly at the cylinder base bolts, head bolts , crank pins etc. Anything with a spec will see a crisscross torque pattern. I have seen more than one chinesium cylinder fail by the dog ear breaking off from metal fatigue or who knows what. Always a
Laughingly, last week a friend couldn't get a fa100 to run right at the field he was stressfullly trying to maiden.
He had the cowl off and was trying to get to run ("tuning") and it was running like crap( very UN Saito like).
All four had fasteners loosened to the point of a weeping opening between the cylinder base and crankcase and it was running that way.i
​​​​​​lol.
Now when I looked down from my Panhead perch at a stop light and saw the same thing happening to my rear cylinder and it dancing a jig and reel with the piston causing the lay back dip at the top of the stroke....
Post haste.
Bottom line.
​​​​​
Furthermore gentlemen
If any of you who can't abide with the OEM gas specific carburetors on your FG series engines have not thrown them in the recycle bin yet. Let me send you a empty box with a enclosed mailer inside.
I think they work great. Have a couple fa motors I would like to run on gas.
Any takers.... Pm me an address to send the box to eh?
And a size for the box lol. Take all you got!
Old 12-14-2019, 09:47 AM
Glowgeek

Received 64 Likes on 64 Posts

Re FG carbs:
What?, and take all the fun out of re-alloying them with a sledgehammer?

Heck, I've not even started my first FG, still waiting for the ignition to arrive.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:39 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Re FG carbs:
What?, and take all the fun out of re-alloying them with a sledgehammer?

Heck, I've not even started my first FG, still waiting for the ignition to arrive.
Sernd me the carbs. I will send you two strokes and japanese motorcycles for the hammer forming.
Saito parts dont deserve that! 😁
Old 12-14-2019, 04:08 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
​​​​​​lol.
Post haste.
Bottom line.
​​​​​
Geez a load of totally wasted verbiage to simply state that you completely failed to grasp what I had said.

I don't give a dead rats patoot how well an FG carb works with gaspoline, kerosene or urine. Much less about ugly, leaky motorcycles that were outmoded and ancient on the day when they were thrown together by Mutants from Milwaukee.

Perhaps you can relate to Dave your method for torquing the Saito 60T cylinder base flange screws. The screws I was referring to.

LOL

Last edited by Jesse Open; 12-14-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:40 PM
the Wasp

Geez a load of totally wasted verbiage to simply state that you completely failed to grasp what I had said.

I don't give a dead rats patoot how well an FG carb works with gaspoline, kerosene or urine. Much less about ugly, leaky motorcycles that were outmoded and ancient on the day when they were thrown together by Mutants from Milwaukee.

Perhaps you can relate to Dave your method for torquing the Saito 60T cylinder base flange screws. The screws I was referring to.

LOL
leaky, outmoded and ancient)but that is just why they are loved

ugly, that's why they are so cool, like a Willy Jeep 134 flat 4, love those engines

Jim
Old 12-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Jesse Open

leaky, outmoded and ancient)but that is just why they are loved

ugly, that's why they are so cool, like a Willy Jeep 134 flat 4, love those engines

Jim
Not!
I can tolerate Jeeps though! Ha ha ha

I have a friend who has 175 Jeeps from WW2 issue to 1960. Forty or USI of the 134. I have rebuilt several engines for him.

BTW, Over torqued is often more dangerous than undertorqued.

At the shop, we electronically torqued and recorded nearly every engine we built after 1991.

Every fastener was torque striped as well.
We had several specialized adapters to facilitate torquing hard to access fasteners.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 12-14-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:57 PM
Hyjinx

LOL
Surly you jest. I was agreeing with you. Verbiage is for lighthearted illustration when so offered.
​​​​ The Mutants you speak of were my relatives. Citizens.
The products their intellect and hands produced were and are superior on the world stage. Won wars for me. Gave me freedom to go down the road on those ancient outmoded time machines. I am amazed and thankful for ugly motorcycles.....

Help Dave with the torque adapter eh.
I am too verbiage heavy for technical writing.

Still want a couple of them FG carbs now that they got mentioned again. Probably give a dead rats patoot or two for a couple!

LOL
Old 12-15-2019, 04:00 AM
Jesse Open

Melt them all down and make Saito glow engines.

I will send you a pair of those gasper carbs. But I will need to put the in a 600 ton press so they will fit in an envelope.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 12-15-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:03 AM
Hobbsy

Hey, those FG carbs are probably a lot like SuperTigre carbs, the ride in the Mail Truck to my house always fixes them.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:07 AM
Jesse Open

Hey, those FG carbs are probably a lot like SuperTigre carbs, the ride in the Mail Truck to my house always fixes them.
They don't need "fixing"
Neither do Super Tigre carbs. Super Tigre carbs are no problem at all. They were fine before the seller sent them.
My eight year old son had them figured out in a few minutes. His little ST-15 ran like a SWISS watch.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 12-15-2019 at 04:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.