Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 02-15-2020, 02:25 PM
  #45151  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,981
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by johnboy151a
A question for the group. I'm sure that this has been discussed at length here, but the Net is very slow out here where I live and RCU takes a good deal of time to load and search.
So. How are the Saito Engines working out with the Gas conversion? I have a 150 that has spark ignition and was working very good when I put it in storage. Time for another project and I want to add the Gas carb.
For those that have done it, how is the conversion working out?

John
Converting it to gas is not cost effective, true it might use less fuel, and gas is easier to obtain and costs a lot less than glow fuel, but converting to ignition alone saves on fuel costs, low/no nitro fuel can be used, it can be leaned out much more without issues which will leave less oil residue, and gets more power.

I have an FG-11 that I swapped out an OS-52 with on an LT-40. The power output is about the same even though the FG-11 is based on a .62. If it was an FA-62, there would be more performance out of it. When it comes to larger engines in the 50CC and up, gas 2 strokes make more sense. I have a pair of FG-30 going into a Ziroli B-25, and hoping it is enough power, if not, I can swap the carbs out with glow ones for more power. They would be FA-180 equivalents at that point.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:18 PM
  #45152  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
hey Capt, wasn't it you that loves the STA,, you better hurry

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9-Sig-Ryan-Sta

Jim

sorry man I donít really like that plane.
I am more of a Astro hog extra kind of guy.

Last edited by Captcrunch44; 02-15-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:07 PM
  #45153  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,981
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

Anyone know if a Biela 16 x 8 3 blade will work on the FG-30? Putting a list together of parts still needed to finish on my B-25.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:07 PM
  #45154  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,494
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Gas vs. Glow, an age old argument with pros and conns on both sides. My limit on displacement for glow fuel is 20cc, just too expensive to run glow in larger engines for this po boy. Same with cdi for me, 20cc and up.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:11 PM
  #45155  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,341
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
Converting it to gas is not cost effective, true it might use less fuel, and gas is easier to obtain and costs a lot less than glow fuel, but converting to ignition alone saves on fuel costs, low/no nitro fuel can be used, it can be leaned out much more without issues which will leave less oil residue, and gets more power.

I have an FG-11 that I swapped out an OS-52 with on an LT-40. The power output is about the same even though the FG-11 is based on a .62. If it was an FA-62, there would be more performance out of it. When it comes to larger engines in the 50CC and up, gas 2 strokes make more sense. I have a pair of FG-30 going into a Ziroli B-25, and hoping it is enough power, if not, I can swap the carbs out with glow ones for more power. They would be FA-180 equivalents at that point.


you may be able to mix Gas and Glow fuel at 50/50 and run it on a glow plug. changing to a Gas carb will help, it works on 2St gas engines.

in the link I believe it's a mix of 3 to 1
GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 02-15-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:48 PM
  #45156  
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)
 
johnboy151a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 237
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the input on converting to Gas. The meat of my question is about how are the engines holding up mechanically. I realize that some power is lost compared to Glow fuel. But are the big 180's and 220's holding up with the 20:1 mix?
Especially with the engine running behind a cowling.

Thanks again!
John
Old 02-15-2020, 07:54 PM
  #45157  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,667
Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

I just finished converting a pair of FG-20 Saito gaspers back to methanol fuel maintaining spark ignition. Will do the same to every gasser I get. The engine runs stronger, cooler, idles far better and transitions better. The needle adjustments are less critical . The cost difference in fuel is so small it is silly to worry. No nitro methanol/ oil mix fuel is very inexpensive to blend at home and it keeps indefinitely. Less explosive and safer to store as well


Last edited by Jesse Open; 02-15-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:03 PM
  #45158  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
Anyone know if a Biela 16 x 8 3 blade will work on the FG-30? Putting a list together of parts still needed to finish on my B-25.
that might be to much.
You may have to drop down to a 15X8. theory is add a blade subtract a diameter. And Biela is a great prop.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:38 AM
  #45159  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by johnboy151a
Thanks for the input on converting to Gas. The meat of my question is about how are the engines holding up mechanically. I realize that some power is lost compared to Glow fuel. But are the big 180's and 220's holding up with the 20:1 mix?
Especially with the engine running behind a cowling.

Thanks again!
John
I only have an FG11/66 that I run on 20 to 1 synthetic lube, it holds up just fine

Old 02-16-2020, 06:42 AM
  #45160  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,494
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Saito valve guide/valve stem clearance

Anyone know what difference I should be measuring between valve stem OD and valve guide ID? I have a very stubborn exhaust valve leak that worsens the faster I flip the prop. Turning the engine over slowly the leak is barely detectable or not at all but when flipping it over quickly it just wooshes out. Super light test lapping with a marker pen reveals a nice thin continuous ring on the valve and seat so I am thinking the valve stem clearance it too great???
Old 02-16-2020, 07:18 AM
  #45161  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,667
Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I only have an FG11/66 that I run on 20 to 1 synthetic lube, it holds up just fine
I use the Super-Techniplate version blended with that oil to get 14 % oil (12% synth, 2% Nature's best)

Been excellent , no gum no varnish and real pretty engine innards.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:24 AM
  #45162  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 928
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
I just finished converting a pair of FG-20 Saito gaspers back to methanol fuel maintaining spark ignition. Will do the same to every gasser I get. The engine runs stronger, cooler, idles far better and transitions better. The needle adjustments are less critical . The cost difference in fuel is so small it is silly to worry. No nitro methanol/ oil mix fuel is very inexpensive to blend at home and it keeps indefinitely. Less explosive and safer to store as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=zP97Ubf3JXs
Hey Gary
Can I buy those two lowly gasper carbs of which you speak?
Aaron-
Old 02-16-2020, 08:18 AM
  #45163  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,981
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
that might be to much.
You may have to drop down to a 15X8. theory is add a blade subtract a diameter. And Biela is a great prop.
Thats what I thought. No 15x8 in that prop. If I had gone with FG-40, then the 16x8 would have worked. Oh well, I guess I can use the 3 blade for display and fly it on 2 blade.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:50 AM
  #45164  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,667
Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Hey Gary
Can I buy those two lowly gasper carbs of which you speak?
Aaron-
For a bit I thought they were still here.

I would have happily given them to you.
The carbs and a remaining FG-20 went out of here about a month ago. The FG-20 carbs are not really all that good.

I will save every gas carb that I get my hands on and send them your way!


Last edited by Jesse Open; 02-16-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:50 PM
  #45165  
erieqc
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norwalk, OH
Posts: 313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If I knew where you are located Iíd send you one but I donít want to send it to the other side of the world.

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Hey Gary
Can I buy those two lowly gasper carbs of which you speak?
Aaron-
Old 02-17-2020, 10:25 AM
  #45166  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,981
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

I decided to pull the Corsair out of hiding and try to get it finished. Just need to decide on the power for it. Of course NOW would be a good time for a 115, but don't have cash on hand for one. Thinking maybe the 100 would work. It flew the P-51 just fine. My other choice is a new 20CC 2 stroke, but 2 stroke + Warbird = What is that sickly sound. I have a YS 110 that is going into my P-51B. Trying to think what else I may have, but the Magnum 91 is just not enough for the Corsair.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:04 AM
  #45167  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

More lathe fun.


I needed a 7 mm bushing for a Tru-Turn back plate, I made one.

The Saito 62 is a little light for the Tiger 3, the Higley Heavy hub fixed it. The lathe centered the threads perfectly.

Higley hub hidden.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 AM
  #45168  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
I decided to pull the Corsair out of hiding and try to get it finished. Just need to decide on the power for it. Of course NOW would be a good time for a 115, but don't have cash on hand for one. Thinking maybe the 100 would work. It flew the P-51 just fine. My other choice is a new 20CC 2 stroke, but 2 stroke + Warbird = What is that sickly sound. I have a YS 110 that is going into my P-51B. Trying to think what else I may have, but the Magnum 91 is just not enough for the Corsair.
may be if you talked really nice I might know where one is.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:09 PM
  #45169  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,981
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

You mean instead of saying Walter to you on Facebook?
Old 02-17-2020, 12:58 PM
  #45170  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,494
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Dave, some "richened for flight" numbers for your Tiger 3/fa62. AUW 5.5-6.0 lbs.

12x6 3b, 9200 rpm, 7.35 lbs thrust, 45.3 mph
12x7 2b, 9800 rpm, 5.96 lbs thrust, 56.3 mph (my choice)
12x8 2b, 9200 rpm, 5.25 lbs thrust, 60.4 mph
11x10 2b, 9800 rpm, 4.2 lbs thrust, 80.6 mph

I am currently running an apc 12x7 on my 6 lb. H9 P51. It's a good prop for that plane, the fa62 really likes it.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:58 PM
  #45171  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
You mean instead of saying Walter to you on Facebook?

may me.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:00 PM
  #45172  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,981
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

Whats a good size 3 blade for a 100? I think I just might slap that on the Corsair. Heck if I go CDI on it, then it should have plenty of power.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:04 PM
  #45173  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I will have to look when I get home to see what 3 blade I have on the hog
Old 02-17-2020, 04:48 PM
  #45174  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Dave, some "richened for flight" numbers for your Tiger 3/fa62. AUW 5.5-6.0 lbs.

12x6 3b, 9200 rpm, 7.35 lbs thrust, 45.3 mph
12x7 2b, 9800 rpm, 5.96 lbs thrust, 56.3 mph (my choice)
12x8 2b, 9200 rpm, 5.25 lbs thrust, 60.4 mph
11x10 2b, 9800 rpm, 4.2 lbs thrust, 80.6 mph

I am currently running an apc 12x7 on my 6 lb. H9 P51. It's a good prop for that plane, the fa62 really likes it.

Thankyou much. I consider everything I read.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:01 PM
  #45175  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,494
Received 61 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Acdii, here's some prop choices for an fa100 making 1.8 hp using 2 blade props. Go down 1" diameter or 2" in pitch for 3 blade.

Optimal Propeller Calculator - OPC

enter 1.8 hp and 9400 rpm for peak torque rpm.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 02-17-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.