Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 11-10-2020, 02:35 AM
  #48776  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

That shot of Andy's makes a great wallpaper, it doesn't glare at you.

I'll watch for a 30 for you. The Saito 30 For Sale List time can only be measured in minutes.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-10-2020 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:43 AM
  #48777  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 960
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
So I was looking at the 120R3 and wondering how to make an exhaust system that routes out the correct location on the Corsair. If I model the F4U-1D, that would require modifying the fuse, don't want to do that. The alternative is the -4 variant where the exhaust comes out just above the wing, but the -4 also had a 4 bladed prop. Either case, what I need it 7mm tubing that I can bend, and 10 mm hex stock to machine the nuts. What material should I use for both? I found 7mm x 300mm copper, but looks like it is not the bendable grade. It will need to be bent beyond 90* for at least one pipe, not an elbow bend but a radius bend of about an inch or so.

Also what thread are the nuts, will need a die for those. My lathe doesn't have the thread cutting attachment, https://www.sherline.com/product/310...ng-attachment/ yet.
Along this line. I need a ring for my fr300 Sirius. NOS not available.
A source of low carbon bendable thin wall tube was located in temperance mi but not fully vetted. They supposedly make a weldable tube that may comply with Gary's forming ball genius.
I was hoping to coordinate a spigot on the tube that would play with the stock oem header pipes I run it with now. It is pretty messy as is naturally
But the sound is devine with uncapped headers.
Copper seems so heavy, but flexible. Too bad a thinner wall thickness isint out there.
Please continue to share this process fellas!
​​​​​​
Old 11-10-2020, 07:05 AM
  #48778  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,179
Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
That shot of Andy's makes a great wallpaper, it doesn't glare at you.

I'll watch for a 30 for you. The Saito 30 For Sale List time can only be measured in minutes.
Thanks! I agree Andy's picture is fantastic! He did a bang up job on the airplane!

Good news power came on yesterday at 3:30 PM yesterday! I spent the afternoon getting everything plug back into house power and tagging extension cords with their size and generator cords on where to plug them in. I made up a generator guide so if someone besides me needs to hook it up. I plan on doing generator maintenance today and then getting it stored. The valve clearance is due to be check I'll have the dealer do that in a few weeks when they get caught up since its under warranty. For some reason all the power equipment dealers are flooded with broken chainsaws and generators. I saw one of the college boys who rent the house next door trying to cut up branches with a hand tree trimmer. Thge three of them are baseball players for OCU and great neighbors. I asked if he would like to borrow my 20" chainsaw he couldn't accept fast enough. He was finished in about an hour, he had fewer trees and they are smaller than mine. He paid me back by plugging in the freezer and pushing it back into position, something I couldn't do. They are real good about lending a hand when I need a little brawn.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:15 AM
  #48779  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

I'm glad your power is back on, ours just was out for an hour.

I just ran the 180 Cap sent me, maybe Lonnie can work his magic and rate it.
Saito 180-rebuilt, new ring bearings and gaskets. new fuel inlet.
Fuel=======S&W 15% with 17% full synthetic
Ch Ignition set a 30 degrees btdc
Prop=======APC 16 x 8-W
Exhaust==stock cast with home made end cap.
Max rpm after 40 minutes==8,980 rpm
Idle==================1,790 rpm


Running at 6,000

No exhaust leaks.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-10-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 11-10-2020, 09:22 AM
  #48780  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Along this line. I need a ring for my fr300 Sirius. NOS not available.
A source of low carbon bendable thin wall tube was located in temperance mi but not fully vetted. They supposedly make a weldable tube that may comply with Gary's forming ball genius.
I was hoping to coordinate a spigot on the tube that would play with the stock oem header pipes I run it with now. It is pretty messy as is naturally
But the sound is devine with uncapped headers.
Copper seems so heavy, but flexible. Too bad a thinner wall thickness isint out there.
Please continue to share this process fellas!
​​​​​​
I found 7mm copper tubing, 300mm long with .2mm wall thickness. Gauging by my calipers, .2 is very thin. Arrives on Friday so I can get a better idea of what it looks like. I also ordered 250 1/4" ball bearings for the forming part. Will see what I can come up with.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:14 AM
  #48781  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,623
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I'm glad your power is back on, ours just was out for an hour.

I just ran the 180 Cap sent me, maybe Lonnie can work his magic and rate it.
Saito 180-rebuilt, new ring bearings and gaskets. new fuel inlet.
Fuel=======S&W 15% with 17% full synthetic
Ch Ignition set a 30 degrees btdc
Prop=======APC 18 x 6-W
Exhaust==stock cast with home made end cap.
Max rpm after 40 minutes==8,980 rpm
Idle==================1,790 rpm
Holy balls, the 180's really like to be run at 8.5-9k. Big power from yours....3.377 hp with that 18x6 wide blade. Congrats on another successful overhaul!
Old 11-10-2020, 12:13 PM
  #48782  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,795
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
I found 7mm copper tubing, 300mm long with .2mm wall thickness. Gauging by my calipers, .2 is very thin. Arrives on Friday so I can get a better idea of what it looks like. I also ordered 250 1/4" ball bearings for the forming part. Will see what I can come up with.
Bear in mind that thin wall tube must be carefully bent. While the inside radius is gaining metal. The long path on the outside is stretching and thinning along its length. The balls , acting as mandrels are used to iron out the wrinkles inside radius, they also work at further stretching the outer radius. Not a problem in most large radius bends. Go slow on those tighter bends.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:05 PM
  #48783  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,795
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Dave's FA-180 run gave me an excuse to pull an old FA-150 off the needs work heap. I Got rid of my last two 180s last summer, great engines!
This FA-150 is in need of bearings since taken in as used a couple of years ago. I removed the intake velocity stack for testing. Since giving up all my big block mufflers last year, an old flexi pipe thingy was all I had for exhaust. Used the usual home brew 14/14 fuel, a fine Enya #3 GLOW plug just to minimize the weight loading on the crappy old test stand.

No 18-6 APC handy so I screwed on a APC 16-8 for a load as close as I could get to the 18-6.

The old buzzard whizzed right on up to 8450 RPM. I will have to locate a stock muffler and an 18-6 and do another run later this week. Does anyone know how close the 18-6 runs to the 16-8?



Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-10-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:38 PM
  #48784  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Then, 30 degrees btdc must be a good choice, it idles very smoothly and accelerates quickly. I have a Biela 18 x 6 mounted on it now, we'll know about it's balls tomorrow. I don't think you could flex a Biela by hanging on it.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:27 PM
  #48785  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,623
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Dave's FA-180 run gave me an excuse to pull an old FA-150 off the needs work heap. I Got rid of my last two 180s last summer, great engines!
This FA-150 is in need of bearings since taken in as used a couple of years ago. I removed the intake velocity stack for testing. Since giving up all my big block mufflers last year, an old flexi pipe thingy was all I had for exhaust. Used the usual home brew 14/14 fuel, a fine Enya #3 GLOW plug just to minimize the weight loading on the crappy old test stand.

No 18-6 APC handy so I screwed on a APC 16-8 for a load as close as I could get to the 18-6.

The old buzzard whizzed right on up to 8450 RPM. I will have to locate a stock muffler and an 18-6 and do another run later this week. Does anyone know how close the 18-6 runs to the 16-8?
The 16x8 and 17x6 are very close, the 18x6 is quite a bit more load. Takes an extra .458 ponies to turn it at 8450. Your 150 would be doing very well to turn it at 7950.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:38 PM
  #48786  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,795
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

One thing noticeable about APC and Master Air Swisher props: The APC tip tracks are very stable and true from idle to WOT. Those MA tracks move quite a bit.


Dave, do you have any 150 numbers on hand?
Old 11-10-2020, 05:14 PM
  #48787  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,795
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
The 16x8 and 17x6 are very close, the 18x6 is quite a bit more load. Takes an extra .458 ponies to turn it at 8450. Your 150 would be doing very well to turn it at 7950.
Are those numbers for an APC 18-6? If so, I will pick one up tomorrow and give it a whirl. The only 18-6 I have is a Xoar that I used on the FA-180s but never measured RPM, they just worked well on the Chipmunk.
See how much power the 150 on a glow plug gives up to a sparked 180.

This is the last big block that I have left. LOL, the end of an era. Got rid of the rest over the last year. I was going to replace bearings and list this one on RCG. Better still just take it apart and sell it as "Kit".
Old 11-10-2020, 05:26 PM
  #48788  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Whoa all,I had to make big correction, the APC was a 16 x 8-W, that will change everything. I have a Biela 18 x 6 on it now.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-10-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:28 PM
  #48789  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
One thing noticeable about APC and Master Air Swisher props: The APC tip tracks are very stable and true from idle to WOT. Those MA tracks move quite a bit.


Dave, do you have any 150 numbers on hand?

Gary, I keep rpm numbers in Note Pad and the 150 slot is blank, somewhere in the Saito thread there are my 150 numbers, it would take miracle to find them.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:36 PM
  #48790  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,623
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

I have a 150 lying around here just looking for something to do.

Dave, 16x8W @ 8970 calculates to 2.811
Old 11-10-2020, 05:53 PM
  #48791  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 20,370
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Horizon is saying 9,300, but don't say the nitro methane %.
That 2.811 hp is slightly better than Chris Chianelli's figure of 2.8 on 30%.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-10-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:55 PM
  #48792  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,395
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

the Saito FA180 on a glow plug should turn an APC 17x8w at 8900 to 9100 depending on nitro%. my Magnum 180fr turned that prop at 8800 on 15% nitro.

Dave, your engine just needs some more run-in time on it

Jim
Old 11-10-2020, 07:22 PM
  #48793  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,795
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Whoa all,I had to make big correction, the APC was a 16 x 8-W, that will change everything. I have a Biela 18 x 6 on it now.
That is what I have on the FA-150 Glow with 14/14, spinning 8450.
What does that HP come out to Lonnie?

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-10-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:49 PM
  #48794  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,179
Received 276 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Are those numbers for an APC 18-6? If so, I will pick one up tomorrow and give it a whirl. The only 18-6 I have is a Xoar that I used on the FA-180s but never measured RPM, they just worked well on the Chipmunk.
See how much power the 150 on a glow plug gives up to a sparked 180.

This is the last big block that I have left. LOL, the end of an era. Got rid of the rest over the last year. I was going to replace bearings and list this one on RCG. Better still just take it apart and sell it as "Kit".
You can't sell a big block beauty like that! Slap it on a Big Stik and tear a hole in the sky!
Old 11-11-2020, 03:07 AM
  #48795  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,623
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jesse open
that is what i have on the fa-150 glow with 14/14, spinning 8450.
What does that hp come out to lonnie?
APC 16x8W at 8450......2.342 hp
I do have a refreshed 150 we could do some comparative testing against if you like.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 11-11-2020 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:24 AM
  #48796  
Jesse Open
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,795
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Just curious to see how a tired 150 on glow did against a fresh 180 with CDI.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:39 AM
  #48797  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,623
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Old 11-11-2020, 05:06 AM
  #48798  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 960
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Hey Mike. Please keep it posted. Hope it works!
Old 11-11-2020, 05:16 AM
  #48799  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 960
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

I know most of you may furrow your eyebrows but i am considering my newer FG 21 to sell. it is my only gas motor and the ******* fuel requirement needs to go. Too many fuels, the other gas stuff (which also needs to go) runs different mixes. I mounted it on a bearcat last week and few it a bunch of times. I dont want to mix another half gallon. lol Think i will remount a 120 nitro sell it off.
Whats it worth on the market ? Probably e bay it away?
I bought it new from HH.
This might hurt.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:24 AM
  #48800  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,623
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
I know most of you may furrow your eyebrows but i am considering my newer FG 21 to sell. it is my only gas motor and the ******* fuel requirement needs to go. Too many fuels, the other gas stuff (which also needs to go) runs different mixes. I mounted it on a bearcat last week and few it a bunch of times. I dont want to mix another half gallon. lol Think i will remount a 120 nitro sell it off.
Whats it worth on the market ? Probably e bay it away?
I bought it new from HH.
This might hurt.
Paid $325 for a (bench run only) fg21 and $250 for a low time fg21. The low time fg21 had a problem the owner couldn't figure out, felt particles stuck in the end of the spray bar.

Have you tached either of your fg21's?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.