Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 03-09-2021, 10:59 AM
  #50076  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,228
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
No sir, it has the counter sunk piston so I'll have to remain clueless as to the compression ratio. The engine is really smooth turning It will be a few days before I can run it. I have an operation tomorrow to implant tiny gold spheres in my prostate to serve as targets for the Radiologist. I'll be knocked out for about one hour and then a sleepy ride home. Oh joy.
Dave, it doesn't sound fun but I'll bet it beats having surgery to cut it out. I knew an old Lutheran Pastor who got the radioactive needles for his prostate cancer it gave him about another decade so it was work getting it taken care of.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:48 AM
  #50077  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,841
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Dave, it doesn't sound fun but I'll bet it beats having surgery to cut it out. I knew an old Lutheran Pastor who got the radioactive needles for his prostate cancer it gave him about another decade so it was work getting it taken care of.

Yes Dave, best wishes for a positive outcome.

Take it from me, the surgery can be quite an event. I had no choice, the normally 2 1/2 hour procedure took 6 hours! Turned out well as everything, everything is working 100% as planned.
That was 6 years ago. A great surgeon, in fact I am in his office right now for scheduled check

Everything should go real smooth

Last edited by Jesse Open; 03-09-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:58 PM
  #50078  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,228
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Check out the recommended engines for my new build. Dick Katz must have been a Saito fan! Good taste in engines and airplanes both!

Old 03-09-2021, 07:23 PM
  #50079  
My Feedback: (3)
 
husafreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 1,202
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

I got one of the engine test stands you guys recommended and set it up today. It is nice! It started raining so I didn't get to run anything though. I bolted it to a piece of 2x10 so besides Dope is there a finish that is both gas and glow fuel proof? I do have dope but also Krylon Crystal Clear and other stuff I could use. I hate to waste dope on a 2x10.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:41 PM
  #50080  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,841
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
Did you order it online, or a local fuel supplier? I still have a case of fuel to burn, but when it's gone, I would like to mix my own, but can't find any local shops carrying methanol.
The new methanol price will be closer to $6 / gallon in 55 gallon drums at the dock. I checked VP prices

at the auto parts store today; It is now $38 for 5 gallons. ($7.60 per gallon)

VP is now offering 50/50 nitromethane/methanol in five gallon pails. I bought a five gallon pail today at $120. Subtracting the 2.5 gallons of methanol leaves the actual cost of the nitromethane at
$40.40 per gallon. By mixing 50/50 the nitromethane is safer to handle and cheaper to ship, so I have been told. Look for a VP dealer in your area. The local autoparts store here even delivers!
Old 03-10-2021, 02:22 AM
  #50081  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norwalk, OH
Posts: 313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Gary that is what I was going to use the next time I was going to make fuel.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:09 AM
  #50082  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,228
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by husafreak
I got one of the engine test stands you guys recommended and set it up today. It is nice! It started raining so I didn't get to run anything though. I bolted it to a piece of 2x10 so besides Dope is there a finish that is both gas and glow fuel proof? I do have dope but also Krylon Crystal Clear and other stuff I could use. I hate to waste dope on a 2x10.
Posat a picture or better yet a video of your first engine run!
The following users liked this post:
husafreak (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 06:26 AM
  #50083  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,841
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by erieqc
Gary that is what I was going to use the next time I was going to make fuel.
There should be a dealer around Cleveland, but if not, I can pick up some for you.
How did the last batch turn out?
Old 03-10-2021, 10:18 AM
  #50084  
My Feedback: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 797
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by husafreak
I got one of the engine test stands you guys recommended and set it up today. It is nice! It started raining so I didn't get to run anything though. I bolted it to a piece of 2x10 so besides Dope is there a finish that is both gas and glow fuel proof? I do have dope but also Krylon Crystal Clear and other stuff I could use. I hate to waste dope on a 2x10.
My flight box of 45 years is polyurethaned and holds up to both fuels.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:59 AM
  #50085  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by husafreak
I got one of the engine test stands you guys recommended and set it up today. It is nice! It started raining so I didn't get to run anything though. I bolted it to a piece of 2x10 so besides Dope is there a finish that is both gas and glow fuel proof? I do have dope but also Krylon Crystal Clear and other stuff I could use. I hate to waste dope on a 2x10.
I can tell you from experience that Rustoleum 2X clear does not hold up to glow fuel. Gasoline, yes, glow, no. Same with waterbased poly. Tried it on my engine stand, glow turned it into goo.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:47 AM
  #50086  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,645
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by husafreak
I got one of the engine test stands you guys recommended and set it up today. It is nice! It started raining so I didn't get to run anything though. I bolted it to a piece of 2x10 so besides Dope is there a finish that is both gas and glow fuel proof? I do have dope but also Krylon Crystal Clear and other stuff I could use. I hate to waste dope on a 2x10.
Now that others have replied I'll tell you exactly what product I'd use on a 2x10. It's called "Nothing" and available almost anywhere.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:14 PM
  #50087  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

But imagine the mess it will make if he uses castor based fuel!!!!
Old 03-10-2021, 02:52 PM
  #50088  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,841
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Dip the wood in castor and bake it, Nothing wil penetrate baked castor.


Better still, use metal.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:59 PM
  #50089  
My Feedback: (27)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cross Plains, TX
Posts: 596
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

My test stand has spar urithane and holds up very good. After I coated it I let it sit in the hot Texas sun for two days and then waited a week before I used it. That stuff is about $50 a gallon but seems to be fuel proof.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:42 PM
  #50090  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,645
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

My old wooden saw horsey test stand had latex paint which nitro conveniently stripped off. Now it's oil soaked with 3 different types of engine oil. It ain't purdy but it's strong and will never rot.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:43 PM
  #50091  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norwalk, OH
Posts: 313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Turned out great thanks.

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
There should be a dealer around Cleveland, but if not, I can pick up some for you.
How did the last batch turn out?
Old 03-10-2021, 05:26 PM
  #50092  
My Feedback: (3)
 
husafreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 1,202
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Oh boy! Thanks for the suggestions. At least I know what not to try. I know nothing will work but it would be messy.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:58 PM
  #50093  
My Feedback: (27)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cross Plains, TX
Posts: 596
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default



Here is my stand coated with spar urathane (and the 120 I got from Gary)
The following users liked this post:
Stefano Dal cero (03-23-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 04:09 AM
  #50094  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,177
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

The oak boards that support my PSP are coated with 3 hour Epoxy mixed 50/50 with 99% pure alcohol, it has stood up to glow fuel, Diesel fuel and gasoline for many years.

The operation was a success and a pain in the *****, along with urinating razor blades all night. Now Cipro has me in a fog thicker than the fog I'm usually in.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:45 AM
  #50095  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,645
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Good to hear you're doing ok Dave.

50/50 Epoxy and DNA or Acetone does make for great fuel proofing. If I ever make another wooden test stand I may use some, may not. As it is, I can wipe off my saw horsey after an engine run. If I elect not to wipe it off the oil just soaks in within 48 hours. Most of the time I don't bother to wipe it off.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:34 AM
  #50096  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,228
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
The oak boards that support my PSP are coated with 3 hour Epoxy mixed 50/50 with 99% pure alcohol, it has stood up to glow fuel, Diesel fuel and gasoline for many years.

The operation was a success and a pain in the *****, along with urinating razor blades all night. Now Cipro has me in a fog thicker than the fog I'm usually in.
Pain is just the good Lord's way of reminding you that you are still alive. I'll bet you really feel alive right now!
Old 03-11-2021, 06:11 AM
  #50097  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 969
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
The new methanol price will be closer to $6 / gallon in 55 gallon drums at the dock. I checked VP prices

at the auto parts store today; It is now $38 for 5 gallons. ($7.60 per gallon)

VP is now offering 50/50 nitromethane/methanol in five gallon pails. I bought a five gallon pail today at $120. Subtracting the 2.5 gallons of methanol leaves the actual cost of the nitromethane at
$40.40 per gallon. By mixing 50/50 the nitromethane is safer to handle and cheaper to ship, so I have been told. Look for a VP dealer in your area. The local autoparts store here even delivers!
Whaaat. Freeride in A2 is hitting me for fifty plus extortion for fives of VP1. The counter " person's" at the big box parts stores round here don't know has to spell methanol or type it into the search engine. The Powersports store at least stocks Klotz for me.
But they bone me for that at retail too.
Dosent always pay to buy local, but it is nice to have a place to get stuff if instant gratification is high priority.
ALl my Saitos love VP. And the metal cans are da bomb.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:42 AM
  #50098  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,841
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Whaaat. Freeride in A2 is hitting me for fifty plus extortion for fives of VP1. The counter " person's" at the big box parts stores round here don't know has to spell methanol or type it into the search engine. The Powersports store at least stocks Klotz for me.
But they bone me for that at retail too.
Dosent always pay to buy local, but it is nice to have a place to get stuff if instant gratification is high priority.
ALl my Saitos love VP. And the metal cans are da bomb.
l




I can often get a real good deal on Klotz at the local motorcycle shop. Still, not bad at Amazon for $50 per gallon, shipped! The Motul Micro 2T is about $40! for only 2 liters. The oil remains the major portion of fuel costs.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 03-11-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:51 AM
  #50099  
 
Jesse Open's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: 30 Miles North of Canada Border
Posts: 3,841
Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Whatever you do, DONT tell Freeride what this guy charges! They wont drop theirs but they may pressure a bump up at other dealers.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:02 AM
  #50100  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,228
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
l




I can often get a real good deal on Klotz at the local motorcycle shop. Still, not bad at Amazon for $50 per gallon, shipped! The Motul Micro 2T is about $40! for only 2 liters. The oil remains the major portion of fuel costs.
OK for us fuel knowledge challenged what is the make up of AP1 M1-5?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.