Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 04-19-2021, 06:33 PM
  #50276  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,635
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp
did any of you see this Saito ?
Jim

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...6ac470a376.jpg
The beginnings of a diesel conversion maybe? Must have a very long connecting rod.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:55 PM
  #50277  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,635
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by triumphman49
Hello RoKit, Not sure of a designated one for the FA170R3, but many that frequent this one have R3's (and more LOL) with lots of expertise. Welcome aboard ! I have a FA170R3,(bought used) but it has a CH Ignition conversion to include a Saito gas carb.
Here is a link to it running - Mike I have done the engine, here is a link of the engine running.
You will have to tune it bit more at your end.
You may not be able to go full throttle may go only 3/4 , use the trim to rich top rpm and leave it like that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh7z599g9u...00231.mp4?dl=0

T-man49 in Al
Saito 723

I've been doing both, throttle servo slow down and wot travel limiting for some time now on my gassers. Neither are my idea, both work great, especially slowing the throttle servo to match spool up time.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:05 AM
  #50278  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,635
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RoKit
Hi.. I am new to RcUniverse and looking for a "Saito FA-170 R3" forum,,
Please let me know ,
Thanks/ Rob
Hi Rob, welcome. There are several R3 R5 users that visit this thread from time to time. One of them runs all of his multicylinder Saitos on glow ignition with good results. Maybe he will chime in. One thing for sure, don't make any rash decisions about how your R3 runs until it's fully broken in, things change along the way.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:31 AM
  #50279  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 965
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
The beginnings of a diesel conversion maybe? Must have a very long connecting rod.
I think this is the guy who intends to make a larger diameter to the overall on a FA 325 R5. He was hoping to extend the cylinders to accomplish it. It has been an interesting thread. Lots of nay sayers. And what the heck comments. I for one applaud his foray into the unnecessary.
He is pretty deep in that water.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:38 AM
  #50280  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 965
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Hi Rob, welcome. There are several R3 R5 users that visit this thread from time to time. One of them runs all of his multicylinder Saitos on glow ignition with good results. Maybe he will chime in. One thing for sure, don't make any rash decisions about how your R3 runs until it's fully broken in, things change along the way.
Lol Lonnie
I am the retro methanol man.
Light them plugs once and GO!
I Leave the little sparky boxes in chi-na.
I don't care for the " products" they send over here.
Especially the one they made up for us in Wuhan.
​​​​
Old 04-20-2021, 07:08 AM
  #50281  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,635
Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Lol Lonnie
I am the retro methanol man.
Light them plugs once and GO!
I Leave the little sparky boxes in chi-na.
I don't care for the " products" they send over here.
Especially the one they made up for us in Wuhan.
​​​​
I know, just didn't want to volunteer you for the onslaught of questions.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:35 AM
  #50282  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 91
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by triumphman49
Hello RoKit, Not sure of a designated one for the FA170R3, but many that frequent this one have R3's (and more LOL) with lots of expertise. Welcome aboard ! I have a FA170R3,(bought used) but it has a CH Ignition conversion to include a Saito gas carb.
Here is a link to it running - Mike I have done the engine, here is a link of the engine running.
You will have to tune it bit more at your end.
You may not be able to go full throttle may go only 3/4 , use the trim to rich top rpm and leave it like that.

T-man49 in Al
Saito 723

Thanks ! I have a FA90T as well,, lot of people warned me about it due to tuning,,
what I discovered is that the secret was in setting the valves very carefully it runs like a dream..
Old 04-20-2021, 08:45 AM
  #50283  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 91
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Hi Rob, welcome. There are several R3 R5 users that visit this thread from time to time. One of them runs all of his multicylinder Saitos on glow ignition with good results. Maybe he will chime in. One thing for sure, don't make any rash decisions about how your R3 runs until it's fully broken in, things change along the way.
Thank you !
Have been running the engine on a stand for about 1.5 liter fuel (5% nitro) about 1.5 hours +/-
this far it is tuned to about 1800---8700rpm with a 16x8 MAS prop. The peak rpm was 9300+ and then I opened the needle another 1/4 turn.
So all in all I am happy except for the temp diff I can feel touching the cylinders, no1 is like "normal hot" while 2 and 3 is less than warm.
I did order a Morris mini motors ignition last week, thinking that it will make the engine run smoother and prolong its life.

My plan is to mount the engine in a plane with ignition, monitor/log the temps and go from there.

Last edited by RoKit; 04-20-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:00 AM
  #50284  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

My 120R3 runs like that too. The upper receives less fuel and oil than the lower two, so it runs hotter. It's a balancing act to provide a rich enough mixture for the top cylinder while still lean enough for a decent top end. I have been too busy with house and truck work to get the Corsair out and run up again. Last time I tried I found the fuel system setup didn't work well, the fill valve was damaged, so I took it all apart and made it a 3 line set up, and hopefully this time I can get fuel in the tank and get it running.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:07 AM
  #50285  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,165
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Good AM to my Saito buds, I have been tatoo'd with 1/16" black dots that will serve as targets for the radiology gun in a couple of days, then 8 weeks, 5 days per week of treatments. The Eligard shot I had reduces testosterone production to the extent that you are left sluggish and tire quickly. Not much macho in that.

Hey Mike, send me a couple of 65's to rebuild so I can have some easy fun. Thanks
Old 04-22-2021, 02:23 AM
  #50286  
Senior Member
 
Monty Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 145
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Well Dave get a black texture pen and join all those tattoo dots together to fill time in in the waiting room, bit of imagination and you could have yourself a (cough) harley there hey! maybe even an fa125

Just about on my way round aussie in the van so thought I'd brush up on the baking skills.

And a bit of Monty Python humour.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:23 AM
  #50287  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 91
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by acdii
My 120R3 runs like that too. The upper receives less fuel and oil than the lower two, so it runs hotter. It's a balancing act to provide a rich enough mixture for the top cylinder while still lean enough for a decent top end. I have been too busy with house and truck work to get the Corsair out and run up again. Last time I tried I found the fuel system setup didn't work well, the fill valve was damaged, so I took it all apart and made it a 3 line set up, and hopefully this time I can get fuel in the tank and get it running.
Good to know I am not alone..
Having a big difference in temps..

Not sure what it means in the long run.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:45 AM
  #50288  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,165
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Monty Python
Well Dave get a black texture pen and join all those tattoo dots together to fill time in in the waiting room, bit of imagination and you could have yourself a (cough) harley there hey! maybe even an fa125

Just about on my way round aussie in the van so thought I'd brush up on the baking skills.

And a bit of Monty Python humour.
Thanks Pete, for the morning laugh.
Trouble is, those dots are in a perfectly straight line, one low down on my abdomen and one on each hip.

If you fellers didn't check those useless temperatures you would not need to worry.

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 04-22-2021 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:53 AM
  #50289  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
Good AM to my Saito buds, I have been tatoo'd with 1/16" black dots that will serve as targets for the radiology gun in a couple of days, then 8 weeks, 5 days per week of treatments. The Eligard shot I had reduces testosterone production to the extent that you are left sluggish and tire quickly. Not much macho in that.

Hey Mike, send me a couple of 65's to rebuild so I can have some easy fun. Thanks
ok my friend I will.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:56 AM
  #50290  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,165
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Great, I look forward to it. Many Thanks
Old 04-22-2021, 04:01 AM
  #50291  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,165
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

A tempting ad: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/market/11689592


Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 04-22-2021 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Add content.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:12 AM
  #50292  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,212
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Pete that was a good one! I saw a t-shirt with an idea I think you would like!



And this one for the next time your are sipping Emu.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:16 AM
  #50293  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default


Old 04-22-2021, 05:19 AM
  #50294  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,212
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

I like that one!!!
Old 04-22-2021, 10:46 AM
  #50295  
My Feedback: (149)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 498
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Hang in there Dave, Silly Question tho - would rotating the mount 120 degrees help?

T-man49
Old 04-22-2021, 11:32 AM
  #50296  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 10,000
Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Hah discovered another use for the laser. I cut and etched some 1/4" acrylic and found that I can melt pigment into the etchings with the laser. I just have to get some powder coat paint and give it a try. Just have to remember to turn the air assist off or there would be a cloud of dust instead of melted paint. Now to find what is used to bond acrylic to itself so I can make some motor stands for my Saito engines. These will be cool as cool can be too.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:29 PM
  #50297  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,165
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Saito engine codes

Old 04-22-2021, 06:52 PM
  #50298  
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 14,212
Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Now that is a handy list! Thank you!
Old 04-23-2021, 02:23 AM
  #50299  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,165
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

You're welcome. Horizon has that code system badly botched up at the moment, I hope they straighten it out.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:49 PM
  #50300  
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,165
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Horizon has the Saito FA 40-a in stock: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../SAIE040A.html

Their 10 x 4 prop recommendation is ridiculous. Here is my FA 40-a turning an 11 x 6.


Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 04-23-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.