Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 07-06-2021, 02:33 PM
  #50676  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Dave
that BK. Looks and runs great canít what to get it in a plane.

also does anyone know else forget the order stuff?
just had a 50 GK delivered and a new receiver for my 2.4 Dmss JR radio.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:29 AM
  #50677  
1200SportsterRider
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 912
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default



This one with the older style carb is ready for a wring out also, both are high compression, both have near zero leak compression. I'll do comparo today.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:21 AM
  #50678  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,794
Received 182 Likes on 167 Posts
Default

Nice looking engine!
Old 07-07-2021, 04:32 AM
  #50679  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider


This one with the older style carb is ready for a wring out also, both are high compression, both have near zero leak compression. I'll do comparo today.
Dave
did you fix the carb on that one.
I tried to fix it and was unsuccessful.
the high speed needle was broken when I got it.

Last edited by Captcrunch44; 07-07-2021 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:04 AM
  #50680  
1200SportsterRider
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 912
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Yes I did and I forget how, I'll have take a look.

I finished radiology yesterday and received a cancer survivor Tee shirt, lots of checkups from on though.

I took a break from the 65's and am setting up old but in perfect condition RCM 40 ARF. It will get a Saito 50 with no initial on the right lug.

Saito 50,painted black by me.
Fuel Wildcat 10% with 18% full syn.
Prop======Xoar 12 x 6
Plug======Glo-Devil 4c SOT 302
Exhaust===Stock cast muffler
Max rpm==9,650
Idle rpm==2,000, rock steady

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 07-07-2021 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Add content.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:41 AM
  #50681  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 9,980
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

I have been giving some consideration to the SIG Seagull Ultimate Bipe ARF to replace the one I crashed. I flew it with the Gemini II 120. What you guys think?
Old 07-07-2021, 09:24 AM
  #50682  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
I have been giving some consideration to the SIG Seagull Ultimate Bipe ARF to replace the one I crashed. I flew it with the Gemini II 120. What you guys think?
how would you like a CG. Ultimate that needs a little care?
Old 07-07-2021, 10:27 AM
  #50683  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,360
Received 53 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii
I have been giving some consideration to the SIG Seagull Ultimate Bipe ARF to replace the one I crashed. I flew it with the Gemini II 120. What you guys think?
Nice plane and a well built ARF. To bring out its full capabilities I would lob in an FA150 or FG30. GP ARFs are similar quality. Never had a problem with either company. I huck the living crap out of my 25% GP Yak and it just looks at me like, "Is that all you got, sissy boy?"
Old 07-07-2021, 01:33 PM
  #50684  
jcbwls
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have a 120A and cant get it to idle at all just stops and have adjusted the low speed till Iam blue in the face runs ok if I leave the glow stick on but take it iff runs for a few min and stops .I have tried the saito glowand os type F, any help out there

Last edited by jcbwls; 07-07-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:25 PM
  #50685  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,360
Received 53 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jcbwls
I have a 120A and cant get it to idle at all just stops and have adjusted the low speed till Iam blue in the face runs ok if I leave the glow stick on but take it iff runs for a few min and stops .I have tried the saito glowand os type F, any help out there
A few things to check:

Valve clearance adjustments done recently? Should be between .002" and .004" at TDC of compression stroke.

Valve leaks? Rotate the engine through the compression stroke and listen for valve leaks (hissing) at the carb inlet and muffler exit.

Muffler pressure line connected and in good shape?

Tank lines in good condition?

Intake manifold pipe orings in good condition at the cylinder head and at the carb?

Does the engine slowly drop in rpm at idle and then die, or does the rpm increase and then die?

Post a "side view" pic of the engine so we can see which carb you have(Two needle or Airbleed)

Anyway, that's a start.

Lonnie




Last edited by Glowgeek; 07-07-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:38 PM
  #50686  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,269
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jcbwls
I have a 120A and cant get it to idle at all just stops and have adjusted the low speed till Iam blue in the face runs ok if I leave the glow stick on but take it iff runs for a few min and stops .I have tried the saito glowand os type F, any help out there

I know a guy that had a 160 4st. it never ran correctly. it would stall at any time when coming off the throttle. the problem was 2 things.

A, it was a 160 and he had a super light 13x6 wood prop on it.. I sold him a 15x8 APC.
the instant he put that 15x8 on it it ran much much better. because the engine had more flywheel effect with the longer prop. but it would still stall at idle. but the thing is that engine being a 160 could have used a 16 inch prop on it.

B, the plug. he had a super cheap plug in it, once he put an OS F plug in it the engine ran fine and didn't stall.

Jim
Old 07-10-2021, 01:45 AM
  #50687  
RoKit
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 90
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Saito FA-170 R3

A brief update on my FA-170R3..

Made a new gasket for the manifold cover,
Rotated the intake manifold 120 degrees so that #3 became #1,,
No significant difference in running performance,,
if any it was even worse tuning..

So now that question is sorted out.

Not giving up :-)

Old 07-10-2021, 04:19 AM
  #50688  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,360
Received 53 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Rob, are you going to try rotating it the other way next?
Old 07-10-2021, 05:09 AM
  #50689  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,730
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Ok
Iím taking a survey

who thinks we should change the forum name to
Saito addicts anonymous.

or at least Iím not afraid to say Iím an addict just got two more Saitoís a 50 and a 56 in the mail that I forgot I ordered.
hmmmm
Old 07-10-2021, 05:15 AM
  #50690  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,360
Received 53 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Can a fella have too many Saitos? We should at least change the thread name to Saito addicts addict anonymous.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 07-10-2021 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:26 AM
  #50691  
RoKit
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 90
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Rob, are you going to try rotating it the other way next?
I might do if I find the time to play a bit more :-) However I donīt se the point in spending time and fuel,
cause I suppose that Saito have tried various combinations and designs,,and what I have is the best they could do at the time.

I know by now that Saito are very well informed about the customer perspective regarding R3 series.
They may or may not care about it. But one thing is very present,, they are and should be ashamed.

My future plan is to make a modification so that all 3 cylinders have the same access to the fuel,
first I have to figure out how to "stir" the methanol/ oil as much as possible before it reaches the combustion chamber
without "pooling" along the way. (I might go for a negative pressured crank case so that any "pooling" will end in there)

Last edited by RoKit; 07-10-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:28 AM
  #50692  
RoKit
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 90
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Can a fella have too many Saitos? We should at least change the thread name to Saito addicts addict anonymous.
Well I know one "fella" who have one radial to much ...
Old 07-10-2021, 11:44 AM
  #50693  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,360
Received 53 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RoKit
I might do if I find the time to play a bit more :-) However I donīt se the point in spending time and fuel,
cause I suppose that Saito have tried various combinations and designs,,and what I have is the best they could do at the time.

I know by now that Saito are very well informed about the customer perspective regarding R3 series.
They may or may not care about it. But one thing is very present,, they are and should be ashamed.

My future plan is to make a modification so that all 3 cylinders have the same access to the fuel,
first I have to figure out how to "stir" the methanol/ oil as much as possible before it reaches the combustion chamber
without "pooling" along the way. (I might go for a negative pressured crank case so that any "pooling" will end in there)

Without access to the crankcase the only pooling, I mean fuel and oil pooling, is isolated to the intake tract. If you can figure a way to keep fuel/oil from pooling in the intake tract you'll have a great running engine. I'm not sure how keeping the crankcase pressure low would help in any way. Good luck
Old 07-10-2021, 06:11 PM
  #50694  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 5,269
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Ok
Iím taking a survey

who thinks we should change the forum name to
Saito addicts anonymous.

or at least Iím not afraid to say Iím an addict just got two more Saitoís a 50 and a 56 in the mail that I forgot I ordered.
hmmmm
I think "the Saito Freaks Club" would be more fitting.

Jim
Old 07-10-2021, 07:32 PM
  #50695  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 13,794
Received 182 Likes on 167 Posts
Default

I'm not an addict I can stop anytime I want! Of course its usually when I'm broke.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:45 AM
  #50696  
RoKit
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 90
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Without access to the crankcase the only pooling, I mean fuel and oil pooling, is isolated to the intake tract. If you can figure a way to keep fuel/oil from pooling in the intake tract you'll have a great running engine. I'm not sure how keeping the crankcase pressure low would help in any way. Good luck
The holes are letting fuel/ oil in to the krank case, and also creating negative pressure when the krank case nipple is blocked.


Last edited by RoKit; 07-11-2021 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:11 AM
  #50697  
1200SportsterRider
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 912
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

MIke, I could trade you a silver 80 for the 56, I have two 50's and no 56.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:38 AM
  #50698  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,360
Received 53 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RoKit
The holes are letting fuel/ oil in to the krank case, and also creating negative pressure when the krank case nipple is blocked.

Oh, I see. Hmmm
Old 07-11-2021, 03:18 AM
  #50699  
1200SportsterRider
Senior Member
 
1200SportsterRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 912
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

That does not seem possible unless you made some extra holes.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:32 AM
  #50700  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,360
Received 53 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

Dave, remember he has the 170 R3, the one with a tiny vent nipple hole. Could be that some of the fuel standoff present in the intake tract during valve overlap periods is entering the crankcase by design.

Rob, does any oil come out of the crankcase nipple while running the engine?

Last edited by Glowgeek; 07-11-2021 at 03:34 AM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.